article ..... the .375 Winchester Remembered

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
new pig hunter
Senior Levergunner

article ..... the .375 Winchester Remembered

Post by new pig hunter »

While looking for something else, I saw this .......

https://www.americanrifleman.org/articl ... cartridge/
Ray
Advanced Levergunner

Re: article ..... the .375 Winchester Remembered

Post by Ray »

Interesting article......

since hornady discontinued their quite popular #3705 i have experimented with cutting, filing, and sanding spitzers and round-noses with varying results.....

even with the excellent lee factory crimp die, a cannelure knurling tool is recommended for the tube magazines......

a new or once or twice fired .380 acp case filled with range potluck lead makes a good shortrange wadcutter.....fired either direction !
m.A.g.a. !
fordwannabe
Advanced Levergunner

Post by fordwannabe »

I have the Marlin mentioned in the article. It has been loaded to max book levels and I like it.
He did not! He moved 6 feet from the pull of the trigger to putting a tag on him with that rifle.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
a Pennsylvanian who has been accused of clinging to my religion and my guns......Good assessment skills.
Larkbill
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Larkbill »

A friend shoots his .38-55 Win 94 in big bore silhouette, I would be up for a .375 to try that too rather than my .30-30s. It would seem like a perfect platform for cast bullets. I know, not logical. The .30 WCF is pretty hard to beat for that but life is about experiences.

Post by wm »

I bought my Marlin 375 nearly 15 years ago (does not seem like it could be that long ago). Back then I was looking for a Marlin 336 in 30 WCF to send off to get bored out and cut down (inspired by AK Church http://www.leverguns.com/articles/AKChurch/trappers.htm) when I breezed into a local hardware store as part of my search of used gun racks for the perfect candidate rifle.

And what did I pull from the rack but a minty 375 Marlin. I just shrugged and figured it was meant to be. Never regretted it.

Wm

P.S. Honestly the hand loads I use could best be described as warm 38-55. But they sure bowl over the deer and pigs.
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Don't have one, and never fired one. It does seem almost criminal that it had such a short run. I guess that it just didn't have much chance against the 3,000 fps bolt action cartridges that all gun magazines were and still are pushing. I may joke about the mild mannered cartrides, but 38 caliber with around 200 grains weight does not need to be moving at light speed to kill cleanly. I have a Marlin in .35 Remington which has not yet been used on game. It needs to be used. My fastest cartridge is the .30-06. Unless I end up hunting somewhere that all shots start around 300 yards, there is no need for more. To come back to my point, moderately big bullets at velocities under 2,000 fps are still effective at reasonable ranges.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
wm
Senior Levergunner

Post by wm »

piller wrote: Sun Nov 17, 2019 11:19 am Don't have one, and never fired one. It does seem almost criminal that it had such a short run. I guess that it just didn't have much chance against the 3,000 fps bolt action cartridges that all gun magazines were and still are pushing. I may joke about the mild mannered cartrides, but 38 caliber with around 200 grains weight does not need to be moving at light speed to kill cleanly. I have a Marlin in .35 Remington which has not yet been used on game. It needs to be used. My fastest cartridge is the .30-06. Unless I end up hunting somewhere that all shots start around 300 yards, there is no need for more. To come back to my point, moderately big bullets at velocities under 2,000 fps are still effective at reasonable ranges.
Amen & +1
fordwannabe
Advanced Levergunner

Post by fordwannabe »

With 5 or 6 35 Remingtons, a 35/30, 38-55, and Marlin 375, I would say I have to agree with you, piller.
a Pennsylvanian who has been accused of clinging to my religion and my guns......Good assessment skills.
HawkCreek
Levergunner 2.0

Post by HawkCreek »

I'm intrigued by this caliber. I wouldn't mind a 16" trapper length 94 in .375 for a saddle gun but I'd prefer it on a non-BB frame. But then I'd also like a .450 set up the same way. As it is I'll settle for my little 92 in .45 but maybe someday I'll have time and money for such projects.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

piller wrote "...I have a Marlin in .35 Remington which has not yet been used on game. It needs to be used. My fastest cartridge is the .30-06..."

I have a nice fast 7mm Rem Mag (got in a trade, don't really need in the midwest, and never hunted with), but like you, need to 'blood' my 35 Remington. I might do so this year, although I'm so spoiled by the success of 44 Mag and 45 Colt and even the 500 S&W from leverguns that I haven't felt the need to use anything else. My 444 Marlin is also on the need-to-hunt-with list, and the bigger hole it makes just seems mo-betta' when it comes to hunting.

Maybe using the 0.375"-ish 375 Winchester cartridge would be a halfway-step towards the 0.358"-ish 35 Remington.... :D
Last edited by AJMD429 on Mon Nov 18, 2019 1:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
FLINT
Levergunner 3.0

Post by FLINT »

Great article, thanks for posting!

I loved my 375 winchester. Worked up a load with Hawk 250 gr. bullets and RL-7. Made a scary sized exit hole in this big doe. The 375 delivers a lot of smack down. I sold mine in the classified section here a couple years ago to a fellow member. Maybe one day I'll have another one.

wm
Senior Levergunner

Post by wm »

Local dealer who is generally spot on with his pricing of firearms has a Winchester in 375 Win.

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/842452885
Winchester 94 XTR Big Bore .375 Win

Not mine or connected to me in anyway and offered here only for 'educational' purposes.

But I will say the guys at Gambles are pretty good and honest.

Wm
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Due to the rarity, that starting price is probably about right. It looks pretty well cared for, but I would have to sell off some items if I were to purchase that one. I hope whoever gets it will hunt with it at least once.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

I also have a Marlin 375, carried for several self-guided bear hunts in NorCal... unsuccessfully, which should be an object lesson in self-guided bear hunting. W/o dogs BTW... doomed from the git-go!

Anyway, my Marlin 375 was purchased NIB in 1980, yet carries a serial number dating to 1978. I've been called a liar, but I've never claimed it was made in 1978, just the receiver. It is not a rebarrel... Back then I didn't bother to keep boxes... but it came in one, with all the tags and warranty stuff. I've heard of at least one other that has a receiver of this vintage...

I have one partial box left of the Hornady 220gr FP loaded to about 2200fps, and it thumps at both ends. The only thing shot with mine has been a coyote, not to be repeated. Shot in about the middle of 9 acre pasture, not all parts of the coyote were found! Left foreleg completely gone.

Mine wears a K-4 Weaver, but the glass needs replacing, the scope won't focus any more... One of those "round-to-it" projects... I just ain't got round to it, yet!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
ollogger
Advanced Levergunner

Post by ollogger »

the 375 is a great cartridge right along its side is the 38-55 in a Marlin CB, My Dad gave me a 94 BB in 375, I took it hunting
and shoot antelope & deer with cast bullets with deadly results, I passed the gun on down to my son a few months ago
but I still have a 99 savage in 375 that shoots much better as it wears a scope & is very accurate but shoots poorly with out it
my 1955 eyes need help

ollogger
Mainehunter
Senior Levergunner

Post by Mainehunter »

Had one in a Savage 99A few years back until I traded it to my brother to get my dad's 99F 358 Winchester. I did like 375 Win cartridge a lot and the way I had the 99A setup up for hunting was really nice. BUT, I just couldn't warm up to the straight stock. I like pistol grips better, just feels comfortable to me.

Mainehunter
yooper2
Levergunner 3.0

Post by yooper2 »

Another fan of the 375 Win here. I have a beautiful Marlin 375 I bought off of Sixgun that is a great cast bullet shooter and my wife claimed it as her deer rifle. Also have an old beater 94 BB that I sent to Mahovsky for his metalife treatment that lives in the truck.

The SAECO 265gr rnfp gc and ranch dog's 235gr bullets are both proven game getters.

Eric
FLINT
Levergunner 3.0

Post by FLINT »

wm wrote: Mon Nov 18, 2019 11:36 am Local dealer who is generally spot on with his pricing of firearms has a Winchester in 375 Win.

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/842452885
Winchester 94 XTR Big Bore .375 Win

Not mine or connected to me in anyway and offered here only for 'educational' purposes.

But I will say the guys at Gambles are pretty good and honest.

Wm
wow, that's exactly double what I paid for mine in 2015.
KeithNyst
Levergunner 1.0

Post by KeithNyst »

Over the past few years I've been working on a mini-collection of the .375 Wins with a goal of obtaining at least one .375 Win from each of manufactures that produced them. I'm now done, having just this evening found a Ruger #3. When it gets here, I will update the family portrait.

Top to bottom: 94 Big Bore XTR, 94AE XTR, Savage Model 99-375; Marlin Model 375, Contender, and to be added, the Ruger No 3.

Valment also offered the Model 412 in a double .375 Win, but they are scarce; only seen pictures of one and beyond my budget if one ever showed up for sale. Savage also offered the .375 Win in their Model 99A; Contender also in their single shot rifle ... buy I'm content to now call the obsession complete.

Reloading has become much easier now that Starline is producing brass, and small companies like Vollmer bullets is producing 220 and 255 grain jacket bullets ... not to mention that the .375 Win is a great with cast bullets, too,

My 375 Collection 20180827.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Must've been a latent idea.. received the 1-4x32 scope for the Marlin 375 today. Sure is nice to look thru a clear glass. I'll have to load some ammo now! :o
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!