Foam case cause rust?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Josall

Foam case cause rust?

Post by Josall »

When I purchasing my new/used 870 I was looking for a case to store it in at home. I dont have the money for a huge refrigerator safe, im waiting till I own a house for that one. The guy at the gun store told me to try not to do long term storage in the foam cases because they can over time cause the weapon to rust. Is this true?
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Foam case cause rust?

Post by Grizz »

moisture causes rust. foam can trap moisture. ergo.

same thing with "gun socks", which can damage guns in environments where moisture can condense on cold steel.
kasTX
Levergunner 1.0

Post by kasTX »

In my experience, yes, absolutely.

I was rabbit hunting years ago with a Winchester 9422M and put it in a foam lined case after the morning hunt. When I took it out in the evening I could see very faint rust spots everywhere. I immediately cleaned and oiled it and could no longer see the tiny rust spots. It was a warm, humid day which made it all happen faster, but I was surprised at how little time it took. I suspect a week in that case would have left permanent, visible damage.

As a side note, you can find security containers (Stack-On for example) for around $100 that when combined with an anti-humidity device (Golden Rod for example) should provide pretty good protection. Not as secure as an actual safe but cheaper, more portable, and should keep the honest people out.
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

Tough situation when people are starting out and can't afford a safe yet, and don't own the home they live in, so can't make changes inside without the landlord's authorization. When we were starting out and renting a house I used a closet under the stairs as a safe place to store my guns, and not have them in cases. I simply went to the hardware store and bought a lock set and changed the doorknob to a locking one. It's certainly not a safe, but it's better than no locked place, and it kept the guns from being unlocked and in gun cases.
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
Old No7
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Old No7 »

Just a note that "some" Gun Socks are treated and OK for storage -- but don't use those long-term unless they're properly made and treated for such storage.

Also, get a humidity gauge (Hygrometer) from a hardware store and keep that in the closet or other safe area where you store the guns locked and out of reach; monitor that and take action if it gets excessive. A "Golden Rod" (a plug-in "warm" dehumidifier) or a lit 15 watt incandescent bulb can be used to remove any moisture and raise the dew point enough so condensation/moisture won't form on the cold steel in a closet (or in a gun cabinet or safe).

Old No7
"Freedom and the Second Amendment... One cannot exist without the other." © 2000 DTH
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

Welcome to the fire Josall :D
If more men loved and cherished their wives as much as I love bacon the world would be a much better place.
KWK
Senior Levergunner

Post by KWK »

Depends on the foam and your climate. I’ve had a seldom used Contender in the same hard shell case for about 30 yr with no problems. I always treat it with BC Barricade and place it in the same spot each time. I imagine the foam itself now holds some of the inhibitors.
oldAG
Levergunner

Post by oldAG »

Josall wrote: Thu Nov 14, 2019 8:56 am When I purchasing my new/used 870 I was looking for a case to store it in at home. I dont have the money for a huge refrigerator safe, im waiting till I own a house for that one. The guy at the gun store told me to try not to do long term storage in the foam cases because they can over time cause the weapon to rust. Is this true?
Sure can. The foam will absorb moisture from the atmosphere and "pass it on" to the cold metal of your firearm.
I use these products https://www.zerustproducts.com/
Bags for individual arms, blocks for the safe walls, and small bags for assorted parts/accoutrements.
Never, ever, had a problem.
You will also find a similar product in wrapping paper form, used for packaging the likes of bearings etc., which the manufacturer never wants to be subjected to rust prior to the end user opening it.
mikld
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mikld »

IIRC it was the fleece cases that were causing corrosion. The fleece would hold moisture and some were treated with chemicals that added to the rusting...
Mike
Vocatus atque non vocatus, Deus aderit...
I've learned how to stand on my own two knees...
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

mikld wrote: Fri Nov 15, 2019 11:16 am IIRC it was the fleece cases that were causing corrosion. The fleece would hold moisture and some were treated with chemicals that added to the rusting...
Don't see them much today, but old felt lined cases were pretty tough on gun finishes. Something about the felt attracted and held moisture better. Had a friend who lived in a more humid climate and his bluing went bad on a fine gun in 6 months. Ruined the gun and he sent it back to the factory to be refinished.
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
wm
Senior Levergunner

Post by wm »

I have a couple thoughts to share.

For a hundred dollars you can buy a gun cabinet and put it in a closet or corner of a room. These are just sheet steel and not fire rated but they keep your firearm out of sight and allow air flow and more importantly under lock and key. They won't stop a professional thief or really intent miscreant but they will deter some more casual misuser (if you know what I mean).

Another option that is less expensive is to contact your local school system or University/College and see if you can buy surplus gym lockers. A co worker just did this when the University I work at remodeled their locker rooms next to the pool.

My nephew owns his own appliance repair business and he gutted a large up right freezer so it was just the body (no compressor and what not) and put it in his basement. It has an internal lock and sits right next to his actual freezer. Secures his firearms in plain sight so to speak.

If you go to estate sales or even auctions there are often wood cabinets or rifle rackets (some are more aesthetically pleasing then others) that can be considered 'furniture quality". Personally I used these early on in my life and still have two thought they do not offer any real hinderance to thieves. always thought the rifle racks in old shows like westerns or even the rifle rack behind Sheriff Any Taylors desk in Mayberry always drew my eye.

Just some ideas to chew on.

Wm.

P.S.

You can also buy desiccants which absorb moisture. https://www.multisorb.com/moisture-cont ... 7a19613377

P.P.S.

Here's an example of the stuff you can buy from University and Public Agencies that surplus stuff out ……. https://www.publicsurplus.com/sms/all,m ... uc=2451754
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

good ideas here... mine is to get this box, or two, and stand them on end and bolt to the floor joists. the locks can't be cut, BUT, entry via angle grinder is just as easy as the most expensive safe. none of them, that I could afford, will resist a cutting disc.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.