Advice request

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Ysabel Kid

Advice request

Post by Ysabel Kid »

A friend of mine would like to pick up a carbine and a handgun firing the same caliber, preferably using the same magazines.

I don't have many pistol-caliber carbines, other than ones with levers attached to them! :D Needless to say, they don't use magazines!

He was looking at the Angstadt, which uses Glock magazines, but that seems to be a pricey way to skin that cat.

I was thinking that Ruger has a new 9mm carbine (the caliber he prefers). Does anyone have any experience with this one? Would you recommend something else?

I won't recommend a Hi-Point; these will be for home defense - so they need to be reliable.

He likes the AR-15 platform, but is concerned about his wife being able to handle it. A light-weight carbine is a must.

Any thoughts would be appreciated. :D
piller
Posting leader...

Re: Advice request

Post by piller »

I like my Kel Tec Sub 2k which is in .40 cal and uses Glock magazines. Paired with my Glock model 22, they are reliable and hit what I aim at. I do not have any experience with other pictol caliber carbines, but I like what I have.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

I used to have the Ruger P85 and the Ruger 9 mm carbine that shared magazines with one another. The P85 unfortunately has been outdone by many newer-generation 9 mm pistols in my opinion. When Ruger came out with the takedown threaded barrel 9 mm carbine last year I was definitely intrigued, and almost bought one since it could not only exchange with the Ruger P85, but could also be configured to exchange magazines with Glocks, and I have a Glock.

I didn't wind up doing that because of the expense, and wound up getting the Kel-Tec SUB-2000 which also can share magazines with the Glock. I'm happy with it, no malfunctions, and it seems well-made, but it is more of an 'emergency' gun than a 'plinking' one, and for an inexperienced spouse I think having a 'plinking' one would mean he/she gets more practice time, and would do better with it if a problem occurred.

A person used to normal guns would definitely find a Ruger 9 mm carbine to be much more normal to use than the Kel-Tec SUB-2000, and I don't think it would be hard to handle for a petite person, being pretty much the same size as a Ruger 10/22, although slightly heavier. There's basically no recoil. The thought of being able to slip in a 33 round Glock magazine is kind of nice, but you can do that with a Kel-Tec Sub-2000 as well.

The Kel-Tec is very well made and a perfect camp/truck/survival gun. It isn't a 'traditional-looking' gun like the Ruger though, if that is a factor.

The other pair I have is a double stack 45 ACP in the form of a Para-Ordnance p14, and a Mech Tech 'upper' that replaces the slide on a donor pistol. For the donor I got a used Rock Island double stack 45 that uses the same magazines. The standard 14 Round magazines work, but there are very good quality 20 round magazines available, and 20 rounds of 45 ACP is a lot of firepower....! The Mech Tech looks somewhat like the Kel-Tec Sub-2000, in that it doesn't really look like a blued steel and wood firearm, but it is intuitive to use and has of course the same controls as the pistol since it is simply added to a pistol. I don't think the Mech Tech has much recoil, but obviously a 45 ACP handgun does, at least to petite or new shooters.

https://levergunscommunity.org/viewtopi ... =1&t=62454

Bottom line I think would be if money were no object I would probably opt for the Ruger 9 mm takedown carbine, (especially since I have a suppressor). I would probably pair it with a Glock but I think it comes with other branded magazine wells (S&W ? Beretta ?). There may be some non-takedown ones on the used market for a little less money, without the threaded muzzle. The only downside to that pairing would be the cost, plus if you don't like Glocks or the other options that would share magazines, that could be a limitation.

If heavier power is desired, I would go for the Mech Tech and a double stack 45 1911 (they make em in 10mm as well :twisted: ), as long as anyone shooting it would be comfortable with the higher noise and recoil of the 45 ACP (or 10mm).

And if keeping costs down was important, or light weight or compact storage were goals, and the compatible magazine pistols pairing up with the Kel-Tec SUB-2000 are not a problem, that would be a good way to go. Mine has been reliable, and I think it is well made for a skeletonized 'survival carbine' type gun.

I have posted about the Mech Tech - viewtopic.php?f=1&t=62454
Website - https://mechtechsys.com
Last edited by AJMD429 on Wed Nov 13, 2019 6:01 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
jkbrea
Senior Levergunner

Post by jkbrea »

At the gun club where I work I have seen about three Glocks attached to a CAA micro Roni. The Glock pistol fits inside making it a carbine size 9 mm. It has an arm brace. I got to shoot one a few times and it is easy to hit a hundred yard target consistently. It uses your existing Glock pistol and magazines. They make them for different caliber Glocks. I tried attaching a link but I couldn't. I think they run between 200and $300.
Ray
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ray »

jkbrea wrote: Mon Nov 11, 2019 11:40 pm At the gun club where I work I have seen about three Glocks attached to a CAA micro Roni. The Glock pistol fits inside making it a carbine size 9 mm. It has an arm brace. I got to shoot one a few times and it is easy to hit a hundred yard target consistently. It uses your existing Glock pistol and magazines. They make them for different caliber Glocks. I tried attaching a link but I couldn't. I think they run between 200and $300.
fine print from website.....

"RONI IS AN NFA PRODUCT. RONI REQUIRES A TAX STAMP."
m.A.g.a. !
wm
Senior Levergunner

Post by wm »

Go old school ……. Artillery luger.

What ever points you lose for being tactically unsound you gain more for style and panache!

Wm
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

When I worked at Sportsman's, we sold a number of Beretta CX4 Storm carbines, which are compatible with a number of other Beretta magazines. Got nothing but positive feedback on fit, function and accuracy.

http://www.beretta.com/en-us/cx4-storm/
wm
Senior Levergunner

Post by wm »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X7p4GbjDCUI

I won't say I endorse this …… but it would fulfill the role IF it was reliable.

Wm
jkbrea
Senior Levergunner

Post by jkbrea »

Ray wrote: Tue Nov 12, 2019 6:51 am
jkbrea wrote: Mon Nov 11, 2019 11:40 pm At the gun club where I work I have seen about three Glocks attached to a CAA micro Roni. The Glock pistol fits inside making it a carbine size 9 mm. It has an arm brace. I got to shoot one a few times and it is easy to hit a hundred yard target consistently. It uses your existing Glock pistol and magazines. They make them for different caliber Glocks. I tried attaching a link but I couldn't. I think they run between 200and $300.
fine print from website.....

"RONI IS AN NFA PRODUCT. RONI REQUIRES A TAX STAMP."
CAA has posted a short video explaining that it is completely legal to shoulder the latest generation of their Micro Roni pistol carbine conversion kit when its fitted with their stabilizer brace. The standard Micro Roni is an NFA item if it is fitted with a standard folding stock.Feb 8, 2018
Old No7
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Old No7 »

My twin has the 9mm folding Sub 2000 with mags that fit his CZ 75 pistol, if I recall. He likes the combo a lot. Before that, he had one of the old Marlin "Camp 9" carbines that was a lot of fun to shoot, was very accurate and 100% reliable with the Marlin mags; and he only changed to the Kel-Tec to be able to use the same mags in both.

Since he lives in a non-gun-friendly state ("Taxa-two-shitz"), the Sub 2k always leaves his house in a violin case, while others leave in a large bass guitar case. His neighbors think he's into music... Right... That's just what we want you to think... :wink:

Old No7
"Freedom and the Second Amendment... One cannot exist without the other." © 2000 DTH
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

wm wrote: Tue Nov 12, 2019 10:14 am Go old school ……. Artillery luger.

What ever points you lose for being tactically unsound you gain more for style and panache!

Wm
I like the way you think! :D
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

My Sig MPX runs like a Swiss watch and is amazingly accurate, but it's heavy, expensive and the magazines don't interchange with anything. It is however the carbine that is always ready for things that go bump in the night. Along with an 870 Police Magnum and a G19.

Going for style points, the GSG MP-40 is quite reliable and a blast to shoot, but again the magazines don't interchange with anything. It's a "pistol" technically,
so it's not the easiest thing to master.

For a newbie, a Ruger PC 9 one would think would be just about right. I have mine set up with the Glock magwell that came with it. It also came with one for the Ruger SR9 series and you can also get one for the S&W M&Ps. Takes about 2 minutes to change them out. I like the take down feature and it rides in my truck in a short case along with a G17. It's plenty accurate, not an MPX, but good enough for most applications. It's fed and fired every brand and bullet weight I've run through it without a single malfunction. I was surprised that I haven't taken a picture of it, but you guys know what they look like. I had one of the originals and it was a great carbine but it suffered from the less than great P85-89 magazines.
I won't own a Hi-point and to me the Kel Tecs are flimsy plastic novelties. A good friend has one and every time he brings it along it's having a problem.
Just an opinion.
jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Marlin Camp-45's were also made that used 1911 45 ACP magazines. They'd pair with a 1911 if you wanted to go that route, although unless you prefer single-stack magazines, I'd go with the double-stack just so you could get a reliable 20 round magazine that is not all that long, useable in the carbine and the pistol.

Or.........A Calico 9mm with compact 100 round spiral magazine....it won't interchange with any other brand, although Calico does make a 'pistol' too... :D
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

BenT
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BenT »

The Ruger PC carbine comes with a second magwell that fits Glock mags, so if he likes Glocks. The standand mag well accepts SR9 mags and I believe the Security 9. I have a SR9 that is one of the reason I bought the PC carbine. But I really like the PC carbine and recommend it to anyone. Plus they have a couple different flavors now. I checked out all the 9mm carbines when I was looking for one. The Kel Tec was too light and just felt cheap. I had a Hi point and they were fine but the 10 round mag was the draw back.The Ruger had the most heft but I think it helps with staying on target. I can hit the 6 inch plate at 100 yards very consitantly.

The PC Carbine cost more but I got mine at Gander Outdoors on sale for about $460.
Larkbill
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Larkbill »

I can think of a number of negatives about my Hi-point but reliability wouldn't be one of them. It digests every bargain round I've tried, and accuracy is respectable. Biggest downside would be magazine interchange.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

A Ruger PC Carbine and a Glock pistol would be less than $1100 for both (even less if you are an LEO)

Hard to beat. Both of mine are ultra reliable.
GLOCK magazines from 10 to 33 rounds fit either.

I also have Just Right carbine that I really like, but it does not have last-shot bolt stop. And the AR style grip is bulky.
"Make yourself an honest man, and then you may be sure that there is one less scoundrel in the world." - Thomas Carlyle
wm
Senior Levergunner

Post by wm »

Hey ……… what a co incidence. Paul Harrell just put up this video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WJYceGAcHmU

What takes place at 19 minutes kind of surprised me.

Wm
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

wm wrote: Sun Nov 17, 2019 11:43 amWhat takes place at 19 minutes kind of surprised me....
Interesting...!

I wonder what the 'fix' would be....

I know with my Taurus PT-92, I actually CAN use Beretta-92 magazines, if I open up the catch-hole in the magazine just a bit. It has to be done carefully of course.

I wonder if there would be a similar 'fix' for the Ruger pair...?

crs
Advanced Levergunner

Post by crs »

My, but all this high tech auto loader stuff makes me feel really out of date and gives me a headache!

So I reckon I will just stay with my M1892 .357 and S&W M19 .357. Any firefight that goes beyond their capacity would scare the be Jesus out of me anyhow!

They are always around and fully loaded and everyone in the family can shoot them.
CRS, NRA Benefactor Member, TSRA, DRSS, DWWC, Whittington Center
Android Ballistics App at http://www.xplat.net/
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

If it is hit by a .357 out of a carbine and doesn't react, you are probably in some serious trouble. A 9mm, well, maybe. A fmj 9mm has been reported often enough to do little damage. Not that I want to be hit by one.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
Lastmohecken
Senior Levergunner

Post by Lastmohecken »

I would go with the glock and the Ruger. Glock 17's and 19's are pretty solid guns. And while I don't own one of the Rugers, I have messed with them some and they seen to be well made. Also, I know a few people that own them and everything has been positive, so far. I wish Ruger would bring out a 40 cal version. That's the only thing for me, I am just not a big 9mm fan.
NRA Life Member, Patron
Ray
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ray »

Lastmohecken wrote: Sun Nov 17, 2019 10:16 pm I would go with the glock and the Ruger. Glock 17's and 19's are pretty solid guns. And while I don't own one of the Rugers, I have messed with them some and they seen to be well made. Also, I know a few people that own them and everything has been positive, so far. I wish Ruger would bring out a 40 cal version. That's the only thing for me, I am just not a big 9mm fan.
they read your mind !

https://www.budsgunshop.com/search.php/ ... st-selling
m.A.g.a. !