box joint project

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

box joint project

Post by Grizz »

Pitchy got me looking at this old unskilled tool box. I built it with leftover subflooring from a house project.

The dovetails on the end pieces, and glue hold the whole thing together. Obviously all the box joints are hand cut and very imprecise. The innards that support the equipment are mortised through the sides and end.
Ran out of long enough wood so I scarfed up a long piece for the top.
The box was assembled and glued up without a lid, then the top was cut off with a hand saw. The pieces I worked with were warped and I used them that way. All cut to fit.

I make cargo crates using the same box joints on all the edges, and I have a metal template for scribing the pins on the parts. But I randomize the placement because I have a low tolerance for symmetry.They are not too standardized though. Each box has its own lid, which will only fit one way, and which screws down for shipping..... I get two boxes out of each sheet of plywood with little waste.

Fun stuff. This could maybe encourage someone to make some containers with hand tools. Don't let lack of a table saw table your box builds.....
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
M. M. Wright
Advanced Levergunner

Re: box joint project

Post by M. M. Wright »

Cool box Grizz. Bet it's hell for stout.
M. M. Wright, Sheriff, Green county Arkansas (1860)
Currently living my eternal life.
NRA Life
SASS
ITSASS
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Re: box joint project

Post by Pitchy »

Looks good Grizz. 8)
Because I Can, and Have
-------------------------------------------------------------
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
Disclaimer, not responsible for anyone copying or building anything i make.
Always consult an expert first.