2 Barrel Stove

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Hawkeye2
Levergunner 3.0

2 Barrel Stove

Post by Hawkeye2 »

Does anyone have any experience with one? I have a 20' X 30' shed, uninsulated, metal siding that I would like to heat. I have wood and 2 55 gal. drums for a start but I do have concerns. My biggest worry is creosote buildup in the top drum and a resulting fire. does that even happen? Keeping it 3' off the wall plus the size of the drums eats up quite a bit of floor space but it does seem a simple solution. It would allow me to work in there and possibly put up some insulation. It seems a quick solution till I find something better including the possibility of getting power in there.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Re: 2 Barrel Stove

Post by Blaine »

Warning, thread drift:
I always thought that with a little re-engineering, and the proper choice of fuel, those could make a pretty good smoker....

Sorry....Back to your regular programming. :oops:
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

I made a single barrel stove that I used to heat a garage. I didnt worry much about creosote. However with the second stove your concern is valid. It made the garage warm enough to work in long sleeves.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
gcs
Levergunner 3.0

Post by gcs »

Frankly, I doubt you get much more BTU's out of the second barrel to be worth it, a single barrel stove will drive you out from the heat.
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

gcs wrote: Tue Nov 05, 2019 3:51 pm Frankly, I doubt you get much more BTU's out of the second barrel to be worth it, a single barrel stove will drive you out from the heat.
You'd be surprised.
You get even more if you run a pipe through the middle
And even more if you put a low flow fan on one end up that pipe. You can use less fire and control your heat with fan speed.
"Make yourself an honest man, and then you may be sure that there is one less scoundrel in the world." - Thomas Carlyle
TraderVic
Levergunner 3.0

Post by TraderVic »

The key to preventing creasote is running a hot fire. Don't damper down much.
rossim92
Senior Levergunner

Post by rossim92 »

also use stainless steel exhanust pipe and run cresote cleaner in the fire with well seasoned wood. my brother had a double barrel setup. key is proper exhaust flow. his was set up wrong and smoked a lot.
Rossi 92 .357 lever , and a cz pcr 9mm
Henry .22 lever, Remington speedmaster 552 .22 lr
Marlin Glenfield .22 boltaction
gforce 12ga semi
Taylor's Tactical 1911 A1 FS in .45acp
winchester 1873 44.40
Marlin 336W .30.30
beeman sportsman rs2 dual caliber pellet rifle
henry .22 magnum pumpaction/octagon barrel
stag 5.56 m4 with reddot
octagon
Senior Levergunner

Post by octagon »

My cuzbro has one in his big metal A frame tractor shop. He has an oil drip on it and that 2 barrel stove works real nice in bad weather. With the back doors open it makes a nice pistol range when too nasty for being outside.
Hawkeye2
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Hawkeye2 »

Octagon you wouldn't have any details on how he set up that oil drip would you? I change the oil & fluids in everything I own and I would as soon burn it as to take it to town to recycle.
octagon
Senior Levergunner

Post by octagon »

I was out at the place today, went by the workshop to get a pic of the setup, no body home. As I recall, the oil receptacle is about a gallon metal can a foot or two above and to the side aways from bottom barrel with a metal line about 3/16 diameter, with an inline shutoff valve to adjust the drip. With only sporadic cold weather so far, my good neighbor reports that rattle snakes are still everywhere.
Hawkeye2
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Hawkeye2 »

Thanks Octagon, my head wasn't in gear and I was thinking of more complicated systems. K.I.S.S. Shouldn't be difficult to rig up at all.
DennisB
Levergunner 2.0

Post by DennisB »

I have a 4000 square foot shop with 17 foot high roof. In below zero weather I can heat it to shirt sleeve temp with my two barrel stove. The second barrel is definitely an asset if setup properly. As to cleaning......I've used this setup for a dozen years or so and have never cleaned the top barrel or stove pipe. Someone mentioned hot fires preventing buildup. That may be the key as I always run very hot fires. I'll try to post a picture soon.

Dennis.
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Tycer »

TraderVic wrote: Tue Nov 05, 2019 5:36 pm The key to preventing creasote is running a hot fire. Don't damper down much.
This. No smoke from the chimney is the rule at my house. Well seasoned wood=2 years split. I heat with small euro style stoves and seasoned matters. Much heat is wasted vaporizing the water out of the wood cells before fire can pyrolize the cells into flammable gas.
Kind regards,
Tycer
----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.saf.org - https://peakprosperity.com/ - http://www.guntalk.com
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

The days when wood or coal was all that most folks had to heat with were times when chimney fires happened. If you go back and do some research, you can find that small hot fires were recommended. Smoky fires produce creosote and other flammable substances which get deposited in the chimney. That buildup in the chimney can catch fire and burn. If there is enough air going up the chimney, and if the top of the chimney cannot be blocked off, a very hot and damaging fire can result.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
BigSky56
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BigSky56 »

For a 20x30 shop a single barrel will work fine, put some dirt/sand in the bottom to protect the thin metal. danny
Ray Newman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ray Newman »

Shades of the old SOTZ barrel kit and the SOTZ "Monster Maul" for wood splitting popular in 1970-80's! Haven't seen an ad or thought them in years. Back-In-the-Day, it was the thing to have if you were prepared for nuke war, natural catastrophes, etc.

Always heard the design is very effective, but also heard you need to watch the fire and the drum to keep an eye out for burning the barrel out.
The most important aspect of this signature line is that you don't realize it doesn't say anything significant until you are just about done reading it & then it is too late to stop reading it....
Grand Poo Bah WA F.E.S.

In real life may you be the bad butt that you claim to be on social media.
rossim92
Senior Levergunner

Post by rossim92 »

as a side note, they make concrete with mesh reinforced that look like 4x8 panels to nail underneath and behind the stove to act as a heat and fire deterent barrier.
Rossi 92 .357 lever , and a cz pcr 9mm
Henry .22 lever, Remington speedmaster 552 .22 lr
Marlin Glenfield .22 boltaction
gforce 12ga semi
Taylor's Tactical 1911 A1 FS in .45acp
winchester 1873 44.40
Marlin 336W .30.30
beeman sportsman rs2 dual caliber pellet rifle
henry .22 magnum pumpaction/octagon barrel
stag 5.56 m4 with reddot
harry
Senior Levergunner

Post by harry »

You probably have the stuff but if not: https://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools ... e-supplies
Trump 2024

All responses have been cleared by the law firm of "Elmer and Fudd."
cas
Senior Levergunner

Post by cas »

They don't make barrels like they used to, I can't imagine they last very long.
Slow is just slow.
Dave James
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Dave James »

:o :D , I still have a "Monster Maul", its better than going to a gym for upper body exercise
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

I'd stick with a one barrel stove because it's going to be less fuss, and unless you put a cleaning door to access the top you'd never know if anything was building up or not. The pipe off your stove will give you almost as much heat as a second barrel anyway.
I'd always use fire brick in the bottom of the barrel to ensure it doesn't ever burn through, and also as a better base when you clean it out. Anything loose in the bottom will end up mixing with ash and you'll dump it along with the ash.
Since your building isn't insulated you'll have to keep the fire going all the time when you're inside, and of course a fair amount of heat will be up at the ceiling. If you can insulate the building someday it will let your stove idle down and not have as much heat loss. And if you can get a small electrical power source to the building you could run an old ceiling fan on low speed to push the heat down to your work areas.
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
Hawkeye2
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Hawkeye2 »

I finally decided to go with a single barrel stove based on a couple of factors. The first is one of the reviews I read where the person wrote that he cleaned the creosote out of the top barrel every second time that he cleaned the ashes out of the bottom. Evidence that creosote does build up in the top barrel and his recommendation was to have a drum with a removable head or a door for access. The second barrel might have been overkill but having the drum and cost of the kit being so low I probably would have gone with it if not for his confirmation of my worries. I did some research and found the best price for the kit and grate on Amazon so they are on the way. I have quite a bit of fill left over, seems to be almost pure clay, and I'll keep an inch or two in the bottom. The second reason was finding a good supply of 4' X 8' X 2" styro insulation at $5 per sheet. They will be fast and easy to put up on the post and girt construction and cheap too.

I had an electrician install a generator hookup behind my meter and asked him about running power to the shed. He said that if I dug the trench he could come off my power at the house and get a 100 amp service in for a price such that it wouldn't be worth trying a 12V system with wind or solar. It looks like I'll have to fire up the Kubota and get to work soon. For something that started as an open face pole shed with a dirt floor last spring it's morphed into the Taj Mahal.

Thanks to everyone who replied to my post.