Caveat Emptor

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Caveat Emptor

Post by Pete44ru »

Caveat emptor (let the buyer beware)………

Seecamp guns has a new maker/owner - name: Whalley

Larry Seecamp died and so did his warranty.

To do any repair on a gennie today is $80 shipping + $60/hr gunsmithing, and parts.
Ammo is $30 a box of twenty.

There's no clue as yet about the quality of the new/Whalley guns.

Ray
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Caveat Emptor

Post by Ray »

I notice scores of them, factory new on the online auctions for $300 to $600.

I guess they lost quite a bit of market share to the near copy n.a.a. guardian that they are either trying to compete or have cut quality, finishing/fitting time.

I bought n.a.a. guardians in .25 n.a.a. , .32 acp. , .32 .n.a.a. , .380 acp. instead of the seecamps way back when seecamps were $750 and n.a.a.s were $250 to $300.
IMG_20170806_233504_hdr_kindlephoto-315322631.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
m.A.g.a. !
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Re: Caveat Emptor

Post by AJMD429 »

In the compact semiauto handgun world, it seems like everything improved dramatically during the 1990's.

The world of the revolver hasn't changed much since the 19th Century, other than metallurgy and thus higher pressures and more power. Still, the Ruger Super Blackhawk and Ruger Redhawk are pretty much 19th Century designs and are only incrementally better.

Same for single-action semiautomatic pistols - I have yet to see anything significantly better than a 1911, other than adding double-stack magazines and better sights. The SIG P938 is kind of the same thing in miniature for those wanting a pocket size gun.

Double-action semiautomatics in the full-size category haven't gotten much better than the designs of Browning Hi-Power, although perhaps the Beretta version of the 1970's adds something (I prefer the Taurus iteration as the P-92 has a 1911-style safety).

However when it comes to pocket-pistols like the Seecamp, it seems like there are tons of better alternatives - either more powerful, more capacity, more compact, more affordable, or more reliable - some are all of the above.

The Seecamp was an historic firearm, and one to collect if so interested, but certainly if I were looking for a reliable 'backup gun', I would be looking at the offerings of Ruger, SIG, Glock, and others.

I have to respect the courage of someone to buy the company and try to 'continue the legacy' without getting mired in refurbishing or repairing the older and really now obsolete guns.

Having said all that, I will admit to owning an AMT Backup in 380..... :oops:
....hey, it was looking so LONELY on the pawn-shop shelf, all by itself... :D
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "