"Stupid" Kills a Deer Hunter

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Blaine
Posting leader...

"Stupid" Kills a Deer Hunter

Post by Blaine »

I HOPE we all know how to avoid this. :roll: Well, maybe not in SE PA........

https://www.disrn.com/2019/10/24/hunter ... -was-dead/
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
crs
Advanced Levergunner

Re: "Stupid" Kills a Deer Hunter

Post by crs »

Sad but not really "A game warden called the death “strange” and “probably the only time it ever happened.”

This type of :wounded deer attack has happened before - and who can blame the deer?

Even I have had "Dead deer" jump up and run off before I reached them. Who else has had this happen?
CRS, NRA Benefactor Member, TSRA, DRSS, DWWC, Whittington Center
Android Ballistics App at http://www.xplat.net/
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

crs wrote: Sat Oct 26, 2019 8:55 am Sad but not really "A game warden called the death “strange” and “probably the only time it ever happened.”

This type of :wounded deer attack has happened before - and who can blame the deer?

Even I have had "Dead deer" jump up and run off before I reached them. Who else has had this happen?
I "killed" one with a .54 Renegade...let it stay down as long as it took me to smoke a cigerette....Can't believe I didn't reload the Renegade. As I started to walk down to it, it got up and staggered away. The place he fell was a bloodbath. I don't see how he managed to get away. Blood trail petered out after a hundred yards. A monster, a-typical whitetail rack... *sigh* I've felt guilty for over 40 years.
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

Obviously an expert warden with a degree and no knowledge of the real world.

I’ve never seen on get up and run off but did have on kicking and trying to get up. Not a huge rack but it could have done some damage if it hooked me.

It did have one live long lesson to teach. I became determined not to wound an animal. I know it happens but I do my best to kill them quickly.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

I once was bow hunting, and heard some scuffling, grunts & (human) cursing in the woods, about 100yds away from me. :?:

Upon investigation, I found a guy holding onto a small-to-medium deer by it's rear hoof, dancing around with it while he was trying to stab it with his knife. :shock:

It turned out that he had arrowed the deer, and it went right down...…..

BUT, when he grabbed the leg with his knife in hand, preparatory to field dressing the deer, it jumped up and tried to escape - ergo the exotic dancing. (aka: Dancing With Deer) :o

(Yes, I finished it off for him)

In retrospect, I thought it was pretty funny.

FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

Not much to say about this one.

It happens.

Waiting for a creature to bleed out doesn't always work as planned.

Reload. Throw a stone. Poke it with a stick. Be ready.

:|
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
M. M. Wright
Advanced Levergunner

Post by M. M. Wright »

Oh yeah, I know of several battles with wounded deer. It's happened to me. Classic is the story of the rural mail carrier who carried his shotgun ready to pot shoot a covey of quail when up jumps a buck. Mail man shoots him then jumps out with his Barlow and the deer jumps up and attacks, tangling antlers in the mail man's overalls. He didn't die but was badly injured.
M. M. Wright, Sheriff, Green county Arkansas (1860)
Currently living my eternal life.
NRA Life
SASS
ITSASS
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

First year we did Damage Control Permits we could shoot ANY deer meaning antlered as well . So the first couple I got shots at were velvet bucks . The second one came in at me from a way I hadn't anticipated and I shot him quick thru holes in the leaf cover . I heard him crash so I climbed down , I'd shot him with a 444 using a home cast bullet of I expect 295 grains . Anyway he appeared dead and was lying over a log . I walked over to him reached over the log grabbed the velvet antlers and went to pull him back over and at that point he stood up looked me in the face and turned and away he went . Under the cover of leaves on the tree's it was kinda dark back in there and I couldn't find him in the scope , so I sighted down the SIDE of the barrel and shot hitting him in the neck dead right there LESSON LEARNED .

ANother time I shot a buck during gun season with a Marlin 375 using a cast Ranch Dog 379-210GC bullet , plunked him thru the lungs at about 40 yards . This load however was not fast at all so I'm not sure the expansion was the best . Anyway I went down the hill and found him beside a LARGE oak tree one about 40 inches in diameter and his head was up like a periscope . I eased up close behind him to plunk him again in the neck evidently he heard me and jumped up looked at me and turned to run straight away . And of course he went head first into the tree and knocked himself back down where I dispatched him in quick order .

Not life threatening but along the same line none the less :|
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !
1894cfan
Senior Levergunner

Post by 1894cfan »

Pete44ru wrote: Sat Oct 26, 2019 9:57 am .

(aka: Dancing With Deer) :o

(Yes, I finished it off for him)

In retrospect, I thought it was pretty funny.

Actually that should be "Dances with Deer" ;-)
Tactical Lever
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Tactical Lever »

I don't think it's very good manners to call the way he died "stupid". A lapse in judgment, or a moment of inattention gets the best of us every year. I don't think it's that rare, except that he died from this particular incident.

An older friend of mine told of a time that he killed a bear. He was gutting it, when he noticed the heart still beating. Apparently, it was a miss that sent fragments into the head, when the bullet hit the rock next to it.
Profanity is a poor substitute for a proper education.
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

I've had this happen twice as it pertains to deer just not dying from well placed shots. In one occasion I shot a young fork mule deer at about 80 yds., right through the shoulder. He went down immediately, and my nephew and I began the high five celebration. As we did the buck got up and began to trot off! I put another round through the shoulder and down he went again. I thought this time was for sure, but in a few seconds he stumbled to his feet and staggered down the hill again! I aimed once more for the shoulder, but through my scope I could see he wasn't going far, so I waited and he dropped for good. I was using my .30-06 with 150 grain spire points. Nothing ever got up before with one good hit, so still not sure what was up with that little buck?
Then years later I took my son in law on his first deer hunt. I had bought him a nice used Savage 110 in .243, and late on opening day we watched a big open bowl as two deer entered 600+ yds. away. We were pushing dusk, so when they got about 325 yds. away I told him he better take the shot at the buck, or we'd need to quit for the day. We were already sure we'd be dragging him down after dark once we field dressed him, so had to decide. He took a well placed shot, and the buck dropped! We were both excited, but approached the down buck with the usual caution. As we got within feet of him he began to try and get up. I pulled my .45 Colt and put a shot through his head, and he stopped moving. But when I holstered the pistol, and began to split him open he started kicking again! I finally told my son in law to grab an antler, and we began dragging him downhill towards the road. He kicked occasionally for the first 5 minutes we drug him, and I can't see how his body was reacting with a hole in his heart, and another through the head?
Sometimes deer just do the unimaginable, and you need to be prepared for it. I can't explain how it happens, but it can.
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
Pisgah
Senior Levergunner

Post by Pisgah »

Pretty stupid, all right, and not all that rare an occurrence, although a fatality is pretty rare. I did know one guy killed only 10 feet from the back door of his house by a "pet" buck he kept, and know several folks foolish enough to carelessly approach a downed deer and get involved in some sort of fracas.

I my case, I shot a doe one foggy morning, and she went down as hard as any deer I've ever seen go down. When I walked up to within about 10 yards of her she suddenly popped back up, and I quickly shot her again -- only to realize shortly that the second shot had been delivered to Deer #2, who apparently had been bedded down behind #1, which was still lying there dead as a hammer. Fortunately, our limit was 2 deer per day, so no legal jeopardy -- but a heckuva lot of gutting/dragging/skinning etc. for the rest of the day!
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

Then there's this idiot. I've seen this video linked numerous times with different headings or descriptions. This one is French, so no idea what they're saying, but it's described as "Hunter attacked by deer." That's totally false.
What actually happened was this guy put doe in heat scent on himself to attract the buck, and then had his wife film this. She tried to stop and help him, but he kept yelling at her to keep filming. He has several chances to extract himself from the situation, but didn't take any of them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LNGGbozilko

And then there's this guy too. This guy could have been gored to death at any time. Had he just stood up sooner it would have ended, but I think he sat there just to get this video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xGQExgOxZMQ
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

marlinman93 wrote: Mon Oct 28, 2019 11:19 am
I've had this happen twice as it pertains to deer just not dying from well placed shots.

In one occasion I shot a young fork mule deer at about 80 yds., right through the shoulder.
He went down immediately, and my nephew and I began the high five celebration. A
s we did the buck got up and began to trot off! I put another round through the shoulder and down he went again.
I thought this time was for sure, but in a few seconds he stumbled to his feet and staggered down the hill again.

Then years later I took my son in law on his first deer hunt.
He took a well placed shot, and the buck dropped!
As we got within feet of him he began to try and get up.
I pulled my .45 Colt and put a shot through his head, and he stopped moving.
But when I holstered the pistol, and began to split him open he started kicking again!
I finally told my son in law to grab an antler, and we began dragging him downhill towards the road.
He kicked occasionally for the first 5 minutes we drug him, and I can't see how his body was reacting with a hole in his heart, and another through the head?

I can't explain how it happens.

WOW, Vall - TWO superdeer ! ! :mrgreen:

draperjojo
Levergunner 2.0

Post by draperjojo »

My neighbor was deer hunting years ago with a buddy and had taken a shot and dropped a buck. Ray said when he got to the buck he reached out and grabbed an antler....that's when the bucks eye opened and it stood up. Ray grabbed the other antler and the buck took off running with Ray still holding on trying to dig his heels in. His buddy shows up in time to watch the two of them tumble down a hillside as Ray is trying to get control of the deer AND get his hunting knife out. When his buddy finally catch's up to him, Ray had cut the deer's throat and the animal quit struggling. Ray said his buddy was laughing so hard he had tears in his eyes and could hardly talk. They looked the deer over for a bullet hole but couldn't find one, and wondered if the bullet had caught an edge of the base of the antler and temporarily stunned it. I called BS, and he said" I will put my hand on the Bible and tell you that same story again if you want"......
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

That reminds me of the first mule deer I ever shot. A 150 yd shot at open country, and the deer had just jumped a fence and stopped to look back at the herd. I took aim at his shoulder and fired, and he went down. I began walking towards him and he popped to his feet when I was halfway there. I aimed again and shot and he went down for good. When I field dressed him I found one hole. I never did figure out if I missed the first shot, or the second shot? I'm guessing the first was a hit, and he simply dropped dead as I pulled the second shot off, and I missed that time.
JB
Senior Levergunner

Post by JB »

I had a "dead" bear get up and run once. He hit the ground deader than a doorknob when I shot him. After sitting there and getting my gear together, I climbed down from my tree. As I walked over to him, he jumped up and took a step towards me, then turn and started limping off in the other direction. I shot him again and ended it, but my heart was beating overtime.