A dilemma

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
jnyork
Advanced Levergunner

A dilemma

Post by jnyork »

I am now 79 years old and have wanted a Single Action Army since I was about 12, figure if I'm gonna do it I better get going. :D

I could spend the bucks to get a real Colt, but I want it for a shooter and dont want to have to worry about getting some little scratch on it. I have just about made up my mind to go with the Cimmaron, standard finish, 7 1/2" barrel.

Now the dilemma: I already have a Winchester 73 copy in 44-40 that I like to shoot for silhouettes. So, do I get the SAA in 44-40 also or go with the .45 Colt? If I get the .45, I will have to buy a set of dies and some bullets. OTOH, if I get the .44-40, there is no guarantee my bullets for my rifle will even fit in the gun, let alone shoot well. I know this is not a target gun, and I'm not interested in CASS, but hope for accuracy better than minute-of-coffee-can.

What would you think YOU would do here?
Beaker
Levergunner 3.0

Re: A dilemma

Post by Beaker »

You are 79? How good is your eyesight, can you see the blade sight well? If it was me, I would buy a Ruger Blackhawk and have an excellent single action with modern adjustable sights. Good sights will offer more accuracy then then worrying about bullets at most distances. Also a .357 mag /.38 special is a very versatile combination, unless you are committed to a .44-40 or a .40+ caliber, then consider a super blackhawk in .44 mag and .44 special
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Stop equivocating. At your age buy the real Colt you really want and SHOOT IT. If you got the bucks to be a snowbird just do it.

Thank me later, I know you will. Can't be more than a couple grand.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

PaperPatch
Levergunner 3.0

Post by PaperPatch »

Since age 12 eh?
I say it's time to reward the inner child, and invest in your happiness.
I'd get the Colt in 44-40, and....shoot it! Holster wear, scratches and such.....life is too short for those concerns.

:wink:
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Tycer »

Buy one from Six Jr.
He’ll make you happy.
Kind regards,
Tycer
----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.saf.org - https://peakprosperity.com/ - http://www.guntalk.com
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Old Savage wrote: Thu Oct 24, 2019 6:40 pm Stop equivocating. At your age buy the real Colt you really want and SHOOT IT. If you got the bucks to be a snowbird just do it.

Thank me later, I know you will. Can't be more than a couple grand.
^^^^^^^^ What OS said.

I'm pushing the bottom side of 70 and have wanted a real Colt SAA since I saw my first John Wayne movie at age 5.
I've had and have Ubertis and Rugers and as good as they are they are not Colt.
Forget about wear marks and scratches, get the real Colt and enjoy it.
As far as the bullet issue the .45 Colt has diameter idiosyncrasies too so that is a wash.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Shasta
Senior Levergunner
Location: Shasta County, the far right stronghold in California

Post by Shasta »

Get a real Colt in .44-40. Find a good used one so you don't have to worry about keeping it new looking. Your rifle ammo will probably work OK, but if not it's just a matter of proper bullet diameter.

Shasta
California Rifle & Pistol Association LIFE Member
National Rifle Association BENEFACTOR LIFE Member

http://www.hcrpclub.org/schedule.html

avatar pic is Shasta Dam, Shasta Lake, & Mt. Shasta
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Forget that, get a new one and put your own wear on it. What would you be saving it for at your age. You are in your 80th year.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

I'd go for the .44-40. IMHO.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
M. M. Wright
Advanced Levergunner

Post by M. M. Wright »

My vote goes for the Colt in Colt Frontier Six Shooter, (this is what it says on early first gen Colts in 44-40). If you want it to be an investment too, buy an early Colt SAA, somewhere around 1900 to 1910 but be sure it's verified proof for smokeless powder unless you want to stick to black powder. That's just me, I love the stuff. By the way, I'm 80 also and I probably have 6 or 7 in 44-40 and I shoot 'em. I've not been able to shoot CAS for a few years but I put vintage Colts in my holsters loaded with ffg Goex. Same loads in my 73. If I get to where I can stand up well I have a 73 Winchester SRC in 44-40 that will get the same loads.
M. M. Wright, Sheriff, Green county Arkansas (1860)
Currently living my eternal life.
NRA Life
SASS
ITSASS
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Companion guns feel "right" when they're in the same chambering. But... there's something magical about the Colt pattern revolver in 45 Colt! And there's NOTHING like the C-O-L-T of a real Colt when you cock it! Mine are both 3rd Gens, new when I bought them, and I've enjoyed every scratch and mark I've put on them!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
wm
Senior Levergunner

Post by wm »

Get both of them, then decide which you like better.

:lol:

Wm

P.S. You might also consider going the used route and finding a USFA
gcs
Levergunner 3.0

Post by gcs »

Ok, so.... Your 79, If you can afford it get exactly what you want. Don't worry about scratches, wear, etc. you probably won't be selling it, so collectors value doesn't matter. Buy it, shoot it, enjoy it...
.45colt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by .45colt »

I was in the same place last spring , only about a Browning Auto 5 Shotgun. I slobbered all over My Dad's shooters Bibles in the early '60's looking at them but somehow never bought one . I did get one and soon found out what I had missed. Get the Colt , Get happy. and You have Me looking too... saw this one. :D
https://www.gunsinternational.com/guns- ... =101300555
ollogger
Advanced Levergunner

Post by ollogger »

I have a Cimmaron with a 7 1/2 in bbl. in 38-40, also a Colt new frontier 3rd gen in 44-40, having had more Colt revolvers
than Uberti I really think that the Colt saa is over rated, Colt is great investment if a guy would have bought 30 of them 50 years ago
I would get the Cimmaron & shoot the heck out of it

ollogger
claybob86
Senior Levergunner

Post by claybob86 »

If you get a Colt, you won't be wondering if you should've gotten a Ruger or Cimarron or whatever. On the other hand... :wink:
Have you hugged your rifle today?
Bronco
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Bronco »

Slug the barrel on the 73 , talk to Cimmaron about their bore diameter and proceed from there. Good luck :D
Gettin old ain't for sissies!
There just has to be dogs in heaven !
3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 3leggedturtle »

WHAT DID YOU BUY? Tidd/3leg
30/30 Winchester: Not accurate enough fer varmints, barely adequate for small deer; BUT In a 10" to 14" barrelled pistol; is good for moose/elk to 200 yards; ground squirrels to 300 metres

250 Savage... its what the 223 wishes it could be...!
Booger Bill
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Booger Bill »

Some years ago the wife and I drove home and was visiting a old aunt and uncle I have. My uncle mentioned he wanted one of those new big screen TV`s but thought he would wait a few years as they probably would work the bugs out. My aunt said, Frank your 91 years old! How long are you figuring on living?
jnyork
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jnyork »

3leggedturtle wrote: Fri Nov 01, 2019 12:27 pm WHAT DID YOU BUY? Tidd/3leg

Ordered the Cimarron Cavalry model with 7 1/2" barrel, .45 Colt, 7th Cav markings. Got it through the Exchange at the Marine base close by. Should be here late this week. :D
Ray
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ray »

jnyork wrote: Fri Nov 01, 2019 6:14 pm
3leggedturtle wrote: Fri Nov 01, 2019 12:27 pm WHAT DID YOU BUY? Tidd/3leg

Ordered the Cimarron Cavalry model with 7 1/2" barrel, .45 Colt, 7th Cav markings. Got it through the Exchange at the Marine base close by. Should be here late this week. :D
somehow this reminds me of the opening segment of gunsmoke......

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0W_A6VJEDYc
m.A.g.a. !
Jay Bird

Post by Jay Bird »

Your not buying an $80,000 Corvette! It's a stinking gun..buy the Colt in whatever caliber that hits your gut......unless of course you have a special drawer in a casket that requires you to put cash in it.

Couple of years before my dad passed over the Great Divide he bought an original unrestored beautiful condition 1955 Buick Roadmaster......I'd go over there and say, "come on dad, let's go cruisin'". He'd say, oh no, it only has 30 some thousand miles on it and I want to keep it nice".

I sold it a month after he died.....and bought a few Colts with the money. :D ---6
Booger Bill
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Booger Bill »

I am going on 79 too. What holds me back on getting more guns & stuff is we arent rich and wife is almost seventeen years younger than me and I worry for her future when I croak. I have the gun you want and more too but know I should sell them but cant drive myself to do it. The biggest part of my life I was single and did assemble a nice collection of guns, and played boy flying, owned planes, motorcycles etc. Now I cant afford that stuff and I live on memories. My health is bad, recovering from a new hip etc. We do have a Polaris RZR and my biggest love was riding the trails here in Utah. Busted the hip in may and haven't fired up the RZR this year. First things first. If you can support your wife after you croak and think you can still buy that gun or whatever else you want without leaving your loved one in poverty, do it! Now all I can say is I been there.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

8) 8) The constant worry of spending it all before you die, and having some left over when you die....it's tricky. :wink:
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
stretch
Advanced Levergunner

Post by stretch »

Ok, so.... Your 79, If you can afford it get exactly what you want. Don't worry about scratches, wear, etc. you probably won't be selling it, so collectors value doesn't matter. Buy it, shoot it, enjoy it...
Guns were made to be shot. Motorbikes were made to be ridden. Tools were made to be used.

They were NOT made to hang on the wall, or sit unused under cover.

At your age, (and even for some younger folks!), buy the gun ya want and shoot the daylights out of it. Enjoy it.

-Stretch
jnyork
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jnyork »

Blaine wrote: Thu Nov 21, 2019 6:04 pm 8) 8) The constant worry of spending it all before you die, and having some left over when you die....it's tricky. :wink:
You have missed the entire point of life. You should die without traceable heirs, without tangible assets and being $400,000.00 in debt to your credit cards. :lol:
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

JN, how's your new hogleg shooting for you? The Cimarron/Ubertis are very nice revolvers.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

jnyork wrote: Fri Nov 22, 2019 10:53 am
Blaine wrote: Thu Nov 21, 2019 6:04 pm 8) 8) The constant worry of spending it all before you die, and having some left over when you die....it's tricky. :wink:
You have missed the entire point of life. You should die without traceable heirs, without tangible assets and being $400,000.00 in debt to your credit cards. :lol:
I'd just as soon it all zeros out.... I'm not currently in debt to anybody, and it's a comfortable feeling. 8)
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
jnyork
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jnyork »

Bill in Oregon wrote: Fri Nov 22, 2019 11:01 am JN, how's your new hogleg shooting for you? The Cimarron/Ubertis are very nice revolvers.
Yeah, Bill, it seems to be a quality item, no doubt, I am pleased. I have only had it out once to test some loads to see if they were OK, 10 grains of Blue Dot with Oregon Trail 250 grain bullet. No signs of pressure or anything, but did not get to do any extensive accuracy testing or anything. Have 100 rounds loaded up, everytime I think I'll head for the range the dreaded honeydo list rears its ugly head. Next week for sure. :D
M. M. Wright
Advanced Levergunner

Post by M. M. Wright »

I thought you wanted a 1st gen Colt in 44-40! If 6 won't sell you one I've got a few I'd part with. I know that Cimarron is good but it just ain't a Colt. Yeah, I'm prob'ly a snob when it comes to SAAs.
M. M. Wright, Sheriff, Green county Arkansas (1860)
Currently living my eternal life.
NRA Life
SASS
ITSASS