I have a project in mind. I have a few question

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Pharmvet
Levergunner

I have a project in mind. I have a few question

Post by Pharmvet »

I really like the configuration of the Winchester 1886 EL. Particularly the
-straight butt stock with shotgun but plate
- shortened magazine with forearm nose cap
- the nice rear buckhorn rear and nice gold bead front sights

However, I don’t like the tang safety / rebounding hammer.

I have a Browning 1886 SRC with a loose forearm, scratched buttstock, and a barrel that requires the rear sight to be drifted seriously off midline to get proper windage.

Therefore...........

I’m planning to use the Browning action to build an 1886 EL that will duplicate what Winchester is building. Before you mention it, I considered having the tang safety removed and the internals “replaced and altered” on a Miroku Winchester action but I would just prefer the Browning action.

Questions-
-what pains can be taken with regard to the replacement barrel so that windage is achieved with front and rear sights on midline of the barrel? I DESPISE SEVERELY DRIFTED SIGHTS. If I end up with a rifle that requires the sights to be drifted a noticeable amount it will ruin the joy for me and I will not like the rifle. How can I accomplish my goal? Thanks
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Re: I have a project in mind. I have a few question

Post by marlinman93 »

To start with the barrel should be checked to ensure it's true. Need to check the bore also for straightness, but also check to see it's true in relationship to the outside of the barrel. A good gunsmith should be able to remove your present barrel with sight issues and tell you if it needs straightening. If it's off center bored there's nothing that can be done reasonably to fix it and it will need to be replaced.
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
Pharmvet
Levergunner

Post by Pharmvet »

Marlin man 93- thanks! I’m wanting to have this barrel replaced anyway with a Winchester barrel that has the nicer sights. As you stated, I’m hoping my gunsmith can pick me a barrel that will have proper windage with sights centered.
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

It might not be a bad idea to consider an aftermarket barrel. There are plenty of good manufacturers of barrels who could make one to match your receiver and have it look OEM. The aftermarket barrels would give you a known inside diameter for reloading and bullet casting. Granted, the sights would need to be installed by someone who knows what they are doing. That leaves me out. But, many of the aftermarket barrels can be purchased for a reasonable price based on the quality. Great barrels are not the only part of accuracy, and some ugly used barrels can give good results. Just my thoughts on the subject.

Button rifled barrels are less costly than cut rifled or cold hammer forged barrels---usually. Button rifling is more than enough for the average person. Wearing it out takes more shooting than most people do in a lifetime. OK, some cartridges can cause flame erosion and wear out a barrel faster than others, but the 1886 was not chambered for those types of cartridges.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

If memory serves, I'm not saying does but look at Green Mountain barrels- something tells me they have prefit Winchester barrels... I'm going to look myself here in a minute.

As another thought, my alma mater, Trinidad State Junior College gunsmith program, Trinidad CO could do the work you want to have done. Give the school a call, might be a student that needs a project. They can turn, fit, chamber barrels. Any caliber ya want. Do the blueing as well. Probably wont have to pay for labor either! Want half round half octagon- they can do that too!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Green Mountain does have 86 barrels !
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Malamute
Member Emeritus

Post by Malamute »

It may be cheaper to get the Winchester and have the tang safety hole welded and refinished and the Browning or whatever make is the choice theses days to replace the rebound hammer setup. Browning parts arent as available as in the past.

Ive seen one (or more) of the Winchesters semi-recently for under $800. Your Browning may be worth more than that despite whatever details you mentioned. Unless badly gouged, a scratched finish wouldnt bother me much if I were in the market for an 86.
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-

Isnt it amazing how many people post without reading the thread?
M. M. Wright
Advanced Levergunner

Post by M. M. Wright »

Pharmvet, Now bear in mind that I set up at a lot of gun shows but it gives me the opportunity to look at a lot of guns. An attempt to locate and buy or trade for just the 86 could get just what you want and at a cheaper price than having your Browning modified. May we assume you're looking for a 45-70? If you could use one of the other chamberings you might get out a bunch cheaper. Just a thought and you still have your SRC. By the way, I've been known to bend barrels just a bit to make the sights align better. Glass bedding will fix that wobbly fore end but the gun may be more accurate with it loose. I have a Browning SRC that has been shortened about 3 inches and it is real handy and my other 86 was made in 1916 and is chambered in 45-90 though I wouldn't have turned down a 33 or 35Win.
M. M. Wright, Sheriff, Green county Arkansas (1860)
Currently living my eternal life.
NRA Life
SASS
ITSASS