Interesting data on head wounds from firearms

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Interesting data on head wounds from firearms

Post by AJMD429 »

https://www.bevfitchett.us/gunshot-woun ... brain.html

I don't know who Bev Fitchett is, but here's the home page - https://www.bevfitchett.us/. Lots of 'forensic' stuff.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
piller
Posting leader...

Re: Interesting data on head wounds from firearms

Post by piller »

Wow! Lots of information that I had never thought about. The way that it was broken down into bullet types gave a lot of good information.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

It's an informative article, but I don't know that it's particularly revelatory.

Wound ballistics is an interesting study. Knowing what a bullet does on the receiving end helps a fellow make responsible choices.

Thanks for the link.

:)
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

lines up with all the head shots I've made
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Doe I shot last winter, about 50 yds, Remington 20 ga accutip slug. It did not exit. No wasted meat, no tracking necessary. It doesnt get anymore humane.
20190202_173407-600x800.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

I don't know who Bev is but she really needs to either learn how to spell or type. I found the typos extremely irritating. To the point I gave up reading it.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
1894c

Post by 1894c »

went to a suicide last month where an older male shot himself two (2) times in the head, placed a Glock 42 .380-acp in his mouth. apparently the first shot did not kill him as he desired, the bullet came out above his left ear, he adjusted for the second shot which went straight up and out. what a mess. the weird part, although this is starting to be common, it that he was naked--the sad part his whole family (wife, children, sons-in-law and grand-children) were over at his house for a late supper, he told everyone he was going to the bathroom. he went to his bedroom instead. suicide spreads hurt, guilt, shame, and pain like wild-fire... yeah, i've seen first-hand what a head wound from a bullet can do, sucks... :(
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

30-30 wrote: Wed Oct 30, 2019 6:11 pm went to a suicide last month where an older male shot himself two (2) times in the head, placed a Glock 42 .380-acp in his mouth. apparently the first shot did not kill him as he desired, the bullet came out above his left ear, he adjusted for the second shot which went straight up and out. what a mess. the weird part, although this is starting to be common, it that he was naked--the sad part his whole family (wife, children, sons-in-law and grand-children) were over at his house for a late supper, he told everyone he was going to the bathroom. he went to his bedroom instead. suicide spreads hurt, guilt, shame, and pain like wild-fire... yeah, i've seen first-hand what a head wound from a bullet can do, sucks... :(
Yeah - it is always better if someone other than a loved-one finds them. It will remain a horrific image seen daily for a family member or close friend, whereas after a year or so it will fade from the memory of a stranger, and a 'first responder' usually won't be negatively affected very long unless it is a child.
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

1894c

Post by 1894c »

AJMD429 wrote: Wed Oct 30, 2019 6:43 pm and a 'first responder' usually won't be negatively affected very long unless it is a child.
AJMD429 - i graciously and respectfully disagree with you on that point -- from my perspective there is a cumulative affect on ones soul when your work involves an extraordinary amount of tragedies and crime scenes. that's why we do debriefings after a critical incident and offer peer and professional counseling. Or we call each other the next day to see how we're doing (talking is good therapy). I would like to think that i can experience a horrific crime-scene and move on--but sometimes these incidents show up in your dreams. every LEO i personally know has at least one incident that sticks, for me it was a double-murder and attempted suicide that occurred five years ago... Code-4 ... :)
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

30-30 wrote: Wed Oct 30, 2019 10:23 pm
AJMD429 wrote: Wed Oct 30, 2019 6:43 pm and a 'first responder' usually won't be negatively affected very long unless it is a child.
AJMD429 - i graciously and respectfully disagree with you on that point -- from my perspective there is a cumulative affect on ones soul when your work involves an extraordinary amount of tragedies and crime scenes. that's why we do debriefings after a critical incident and offer peer and professional counseling. Or we call each other the next day to see how we're doing (talking is good therapy). I would like to think that i can experience a horrific crime-scene and move on--but sometimes these incidents show up in your dreams. every LEO i personally know has at least one incident that sticks, for me it was a double-murder and attempted suicide that occurred five years ago... Code-4 ... :)
Just basing this on what patients who are first-responders have told me, and my own experience with death. I can remember some very grisly scenes but only if I actually try to do so (after ten years or so). On the other hand, for almost six decades I can still see my own father's face when he was having a fatal heart attack without even trying. I'm sure if it had been a suicide scene it would be even worse.
I guess the "very long" is the key - what I was simply trying to convey was the concept that it is best for a first responder to find the victim(s) because at least they have dealt with such things before and will be the least affected. Random strangers usually do 'ok' after awhile, but the very WORST person to find them is their loved ones. Those visuals haunt them in a way they will never recover from.