Cold Steel customer service

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Cold Steel customer service

Post by 2ndovc »

Blows!

I've had this knife, a Cold Steel SRK for decades. Shortly after I bought it the nylon sheath fell apart before I had even used it for anything. Back in the box it went and eventually forgotten about. A couple of moves later, I was cleaning out some totes in the garage last spring I came across it all wrapped up in an oiled cloth still looking like new. Calls and emails to Cold Steel got me no where. Kept being told that they don't make that knife any more and I was out of luck. Yet they make one very similar (though it's not made in the US like mine was) with a kydex sheath that looked like it would work.. Wouldn't sell the sheath alone, had to buy the whole thing. Told them they could stick it! :twisted: Back in the box it went.

About a month ago I had a customer that has a small custom knife making business that is just getting started. I told him about the C. S. and he asked me to bring it by the next time I was out his way. He called last week and asked if I had time to stop by.

He made a new leather sheath for me and I think it turned out pretty darned nice!

It's are really strong, well made knife and can't wait to put it to some use! :D

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
piller
Posting leader...

Re: Cold Steel customer service

Post by piller »

Looks like a useful knife. Cold Steel just dropped several points on my scale of wants due to poor customer service.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
Ray
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ray »

Ain't dealing with customer service a stuff shoot ? (typed cr-p shoot.....knuckleheaded filter!)

The caller either before or after you is probably singing cold steel's praises.....

Sometimes its just an obtuse and then obstinate attitude of the rep......going up the chain can sometime help there......

Other times the rep. is readily helpful to the point that he/she/its boss might tend to censure or chastise them for being too helpful.....

You just never know when you call.....
m.A.g.a. !
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

I always liked that knife. I bought 2 years ago 1, SRK and one Master hunter. They both had good steel but just a little too thick. I think they could have done better.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Excellent knives. I have a 30 year old Master Hunter in AUS 8 from Taiwan with the old style sheath. It is easy to sharpen and holds an edge very well. No problems with the sheath. I also have a recent SRK in VG1. It came with the kydex sheath which I did not like, trade for the old style.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Couple of buddies have CS like this one, both early production. I found them just a bit too large for deer but for moose or elk ya can't beat them! I bought one of the CS locking folders, love it but the belt clip isn't that great. It didn't come with a sheath so I made myself one from leather scraps from when I did leather work. I should make it an EDC knife but I really like my Ken Onion Kershaw!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
TWHBC
Levergunner 2.0

Post by TWHBC »

Nice sheath!!!! :mrgreen:
Isn't it great when a plan comes together!
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

Ray wrote: Sun Oct 20, 2019 8:26 pm Ain't dealing with customer service a stuff shoot ? (typed cr-p shoot.....knuckleheaded filter!)

The caller either before or after you is probably singing cold steel's praises.....

Sometimes its just an obtuse and then obstinate attitude of the rep......going up the chain can sometime help there......

Other times the rep. is readily helpful to the point that he/she/its boss might tend to censure or chastise them for being too helpful.....

You just never know when you call.....
I don't know. The last time I dealt with them on about another product that had been shipped without some parts I had to eventually as for a supervisor. Then all of a sudden the guy on the phone became very cooperative!

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
Lastmohecken
Senior Levergunner

Post by Lastmohecken »

A lot of knife makers, even some very highly regarded knife makers, supply really lousy sheaths. It's best if you have a fine knife you like, to just go ahead and have a custom sheath made to your specifications.
Handmade Bowie.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
NRA Life Member, Patron
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

Even Randal doesn't make their own sheaths. For years there was a company in Tampa that made most of their sheaths. I've seen a lot of really nice custom knives that come with reject quality sheaths.
Knife makers are not leather workers, they are different skills.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

I dispise anything but a decent, utile leather sheath, or holster.
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
new pig hunter
Senior Levergunner

Post by new pig hunter »

Very nice sheath !!!!

A pal of mine in Utah has been learning "that trade" and has made a few sheaths for me in a style very similar to that. Simple, utilitarian, good looking, built to last forever.
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

I know that I would be willing to pay more for an upgrade to a better sheath. Some smart person with some skill could easily have you trace your knife and send a cardboard tracing and a picture or two, and make a decent sheath for any knife. It might not be as good of a fit as they can do when making it with the knife, but it would still be high quality.

A lady at one of the Cowboy Churches near here has made a couple of knife sheaths for me. Both were good knives with junk for a sheath. Her price was reasonable and I don't have to worry about the knife falling out or stabbing me through the sheath anymore.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost