Looking for recommendations for 20 gauge adapters

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
wm
Senior Levergunner

Looking for recommendations for 20 gauge adapters

Post by wm »

You know those chambers inserts that let you use other cartridges in your single shot, break open shotguns.

I would like to find a 20 to 410 but also a 20 to 38spl/357 mag. Years ago I saw one that was about a foot long so it would roughly correspond to a pistol with a 10+ inch barreled revolver but with no cylinder gap. I can't recall who made it but now I think Id like to pick one up and see how well it worked. I imagine there might be issues with wandering zero but maybe not.

Wm
barbarossa
Senior Levergunner

Re: Looking for recommendations for 20 gauge adapters

Post by barbarossa »

Savage made their fourtenner in 20ga to 410
Ray
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ray »

m.A.g.a. !
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

I occasionally use a GaugeMate 16 to .410 it looks too short to be of any use but it does work.
If more men loved and cherished their wives as much as I love bacon the world would be a much better place.
wm
Senior Levergunner

Post by wm »

Thank you …… that gives me a jumping off point to do some research. Do you have any first hand experience with either of these? I fear that I am going to end up being very disappointed by the performance of 38/357 because of issues with shot to shot repeatability to point of impact. I was hoping someone would be able to give me some idea what they had experienced in that regard.

Wm
Ray
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ray »

Every gun is a law unto itself......

The ubiquitous folding fowling piece with a bead front is not going to be a tackdriver with either an adapter inserted or firing a shotgun slug......

Think multiples of one-shot groups........pace-off thirty steps and shoot five shots at a mark......you are rather disappointed with an 8" to 12" group.....

B U T

consider the size of the bead in relation to your aiming mark and you realize all of your five shots have individually never strayed more than 2" from from where you were aiming.....hence the term "one shot group"

even at 50 yds., a shot that strays 4" from where the bead is superimposed on the center of the deer's front-half should still hit a vital organ.......

i have the chiappa's in 20ga. x 9mm luger, .357, .40, and .45 acp. and a pair each of 12 ga. x .45 acp and .44 mag. for my doubles.

small game shooting with an insert/adapter ? ...... there is a such thing as miracles......
m.A.g.a. !
Ray
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ray »

B.T.W. , there are hundreds of utube videos of reviews/range tests of handgun cartridge firing shotgun inserts.....
m.A.g.a. !
Ray
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ray »

m.A.g.a. !
3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 3leggedturtle »

I have a .410 and .357 adapter for my 22/20 gauge o/u. Both are 15" long. The 410 patterns decently at 20 yards and the 357 shoots to same point of aim at 20 yards that the 22lr barrel does. Thats farthest I've tested too, as snow was to deep, and haven't shot them since then. todd/3leg
30/30 Winchester: Not accurate enough fer varmints, barely adequate for small deer; BUT In a 10" to 14" barrelled pistol; is good for moose/elk to 200 yards; ground squirrels to 300 metres

250 Savage... its what the 223 wishes it could be...!
Ray
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ray »

these seem well designed and finished......

https://chaszel.com/product/20-gauge-to ... r-reducer/
m.A.g.a. !
Old No7
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Old No7 »

Ray wrote: Thu Oct 24, 2019 8:40 pm these seem well designed and finished......

+1. I recently bought one made by Chaszel from ebay* in 16ga/22LR for my German Drilling. I haven't shot it yet as I need to reduce the chamber length to match the old German pre-war specs; but from all appearances, it is well made and machined. They're offered in longer lengths too.

* He was a long-time seller of those on ebay, but he emailed me saying they yanked him off the site with no warning or explanations...

One trick I've read about with these rifle barrel/shotgun inserts (what the Germans call "Einstecklaufs" for their Drillings or Cape Guns) is to "clock it" when you sight in. Make a small index mark on the insert, put it in at 12:00 and shoot, then repeat that with the mark at 3:00, 6:00 or 9:00. From those results, start testing clock positions near to the best one (closest hit to point of aim). So if your gun is most accurate with it set at 10:00 -- remember that number!

Good luck.

Old No7
"Freedom and the Second Amendment... One cannot exist without the other." © 2000 DTH
wm
Senior Levergunner

Post by wm »

Old No7 wrote: Sat Oct 26, 2019 7:10 am
Ray wrote: Thu Oct 24, 2019 8:40 pm these seem well designed and finished......

+1. I recently bought one made by Chaszel from ebay* in 16ga/22LR for my German Drilling. I haven't shot it yet as I need to reduce the chamber length to match the old German pre-war specs; but from all appearances, it is well made and machined. They're offered in longer lengths too.

* He was a long-time seller of those on ebay, but he emailed me saying they yanked him off the site with no warning or explanations...

One trick I've read about with these rifle barrel/shotgun inserts (what the Germans call "Einstecklaufs" for their Drillings or Cape Guns) is to "clock it" when you sight in. Make a small index mark on the insert, put it in at 12:00 and shoot, then repeat that with the mark at 3:00, 6:00 or 9:00. From those results, start testing clock positions near to the best one (closest hit to point of aim). So if your gun is most accurate with it set at 10:00 -- remember that number!

Good luck.

Old No7
Actually my mind has drifted in another direction now …… I'm wondering about the practicality of taking a 410 barrel and putting a 357 rifled sleeve down it and then cutting a new chamber. I know I would never be satisfied with a minute of softball accuracy that I think is the most likely result of a chamber insert. Plus this would get full ballistic advantage out of the cartridge.

But alas the price of such effort climbs quickly and makes me think a 1894 Marlin in 38spl /357 mag is the more practical scratch to this itch.

Some projects are better mental exercises then practical efforts.

Wm
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

I would be happy to adopt any 20 ga. you wish to send me. Single shots. Doubles. Pumps. Whatever.
Ray
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ray »

A bit o.t. since the o.p. was about 20 ga.

I found a rusty old 12 ga. h & r topper that had been abbreviated to the non-n.f.a. limit and a fat nickle bead installed....at some time the bead got sheared off so I put a clamp on fiber optic and shot it with those short mexican pumpkin balls (actually wadcutter shaped).

I got to thinking this one might work with the chamber inserts so whenever this frog-strangling rain stops, I hope to try it out with a 11" .44 special and an 8" .45 acp......
m.A.g.a. !