Home after two days in hospital ...... heart arthymia

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
wm
Senior Levergunner

Home after two days in hospital ...... heart arthymia

Post by wm »

A couple years ago I was diagnosed as a diabetic. Probably related to a congenital thyroid issue condition (my father and all his siblings were hypo glycemic except for one uncle who was diabetic) and being on and off third shift constantly for my entire adult life (there is a higher incident of diabetes for 3rd shifters related to altered hormone levels and sleep issues). That and a history of heart issues in the family sent me to a cardiologist two years ago. The cardiologist wanted to establish a base line of graphs and images for later comparison & diagnosed me with 'left bundle branch blockage'. Its not quite a widowmaker condition but he told me and the wife if I ever have issues to not wait even a minute to get to hospital if I have a issue. Frankly that made a much bigger impression on my wife then I.

Anyway fast forward to Monday …… I got up at 3 pm and wife got home from work at 4 and I was just making some coffee as she was reading some mail I got from the IRS about our taxes when she found me clutching the door jam and trying to catch my breath over a 'cramp' in my chest. 10 minutes later I was at ER and after two days of test and blood draws now I'm home. The diagnosis is unknown but they did find some arrhythmia so a pace maker is likely in my future (father, maternal grand father, and at least two of my dad's 4 siblings had pacemakers as well).

So here's my question …… what firearm goes good with my condition? :lol:

Wm

P.S. The IRS issue is that they are taxing me on the discount my adult son gets on his college tuition because I am employed at a University. I don't mind paying my share but how am I benefitting finically from my sons discount? I'm not paying for his grad school, he is. I earned the discount but he is the beneficiary. Anyway that is my going to be the question I ask the IRS if I get a hold of anyone ..... their help line is not real helpful
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Re: Home after two days in hospital ...... heart arthymia

Post by gamekeeper »

Glad to hear that you are back home, take it easy, at least until you find the correct firearm for your condition.
If more men loved and cherished their wives as much as I love bacon the world would be a much better place.
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Sorry, but I am no help with the IRS.

Have the pacemaker put on the side that the buttstock of your rifle does not go into. Seriously, do talk to your Doctor about that. You may be told to take it easy for a while, and could even have permanent recoil limits. My Dad is limited to about 12 foot-pounds. He never was much on rifle shooting. He now has a Lee-Enfield in 303 caliber. What got to him most was that he was told not to shoot his 12 gauge shotguns anymore. With his macular degeneration, there in not much point in shooting anymore.

Pacemakers may limit some activities, but not as much with the newest technology as they did even ten years ago. They can be adjusted over the phone by radio frequency, and the batteries are now smaller and last longer. See, there is actually some good in all of this modern medicine.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
wm
Senior Levergunner

Post by wm »

Noting imminent about the pacemaker …… something in my future. Hopefully distant future.

But I appreciate the advice. Honestly that never occurred to me (placement, recoil, etc.). I'll make sure I ask those questions the next time the subject comes up with my Doctors.

This aging stuff is for the birds.

Wm
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

1. Handguns.
2. Cartridges with hyphens.
3. SUPPRESSORS (and yes, they DO mix well with both of the above - a friend has a contender with several barrels and a Mystic Suppressor that works for most of them.....REALLY fun to target shoot with...!)

THE REST OF YOU GUYS..........

Be SURE that every year you get a fasting INSULIN level (not a 'sugar' level), and a LDL-P ('NMR particle count') not just a 'lipid profile'. Lots of other "better than what the doctors will recommend because they are on-salary and don't care" stuff, but that is at least a start.

TOO MANY of us find out we have an issue when it is bad enough that the 'fix' is pretty harsh, and adds a FEW years to our enjoyable life-span instead of a few DECADES.

Get a GOOD annual physical, and if your doctor isn't checking AT A MINIMUM, both of the above blood tests, PLUS A CardioPulmonary Stress Test ('CPET' or 'MetTest' - NOT a 'treadmill' test, NOT a 'nuclear cardiolyte test', and NOT a 'coronary calcium score'), then FIND ANOTHER DOCTOR. Would you entrust a pristine 1895 Winchester to the local Bubba-Smith...???? Don't entrust your BODY to some dipwad who gets a quarter million 'base-pay' plus bonuses for running thirty patients through in an eight hour day and using EMR to 'milk the insurance' instead of actually providing decent medical care.

Don't use "my insurance won't let me" as an excuse - a COMPLETELY AWESOME annual health-care package costs anywhere from $500/year to $1,000/year if paid out-of-pocket. You spend that on your car. Maybe on your boat or motorcycle, and for SURE on your firearms hobby. You will enjoy more shooting (and more motorcycle riding, fishing, and.....sex.....if you LIVE LONGER, so TAKE CARE OF YOURSELF - do NOT rely on some salaried, spoiled, YupTard to tell you what you need to do..... :|
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

I'm glad you made it through, Wm !

FWIW, I've been a diabetic since 1989, had a cancer excised in 2001, a heart attack & stents in 2002, a pacemaker installed in 2012 for a low heart rate, open heart surgery (5-way bypass) in 2017, went from oral diabetic meds to insulin injections in mid-2018, then diagnosed with heart arrhythmia last Spring.

Other than my medical experiences, I still lead a pretty normal life ( I retired in 2004 @ age 62) - still shooting/hunting because I ensured that my pacer was mounted in the shoulder I didn't use for long gun shooting, keeping my weight down/off ( I made myself go down from 300# to 215#), and maintaining as good a blood glucose level as I could.

After deep diagnosis for frequent weakness/tiring doing common chores, my heart arrhythmia virtually in a few days after my cardiologist started me on yet another maintenance medication ( Amiodarone ) -so I can tell you that there is light at the end of the tunnel.

Good luck to your continued good health.

Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Wm, glad you made it through this thing and have more data in your cardiac file. I have had GERD attacks mimic a cardiac issue, and so does a "vasovagal" episode.
Doc, thanks for your advice. Have an annual coming up.
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

Glad you guys are here. Please take care, there ain't many good'ns left!

N.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

Oh, nearly forgot..... .62" flintlock Fowler or trade gun.
Cures all :D
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!