Took the Trapper Hog Hunting

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
JimT
Shootist

Took the Trapper Hog Hunting

Post by JimT »

Saw a lot of deer but no hogs. Very unusual. Had a good time though. Any day hunting is better than the best day at the Office! My friend and his son stumbled upon a sleeping boar. This big old boy was sound asleep in the sunshine after a 28 degree night. My friend shot him with a Big Horn Armory levergun ... The Spike Driver .. a .500 S&W Magnum using a heavy WFN cast bullet. The boar just rolled over at the shot.
IMG_0239.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Re: Took the Trapper Hog Hunting

Post by AJMD429 »

Some day I would like to take my Spike Driver (the nickname for the BHA Model 89 in 500 S&W) hog hunting....!

I did use it for whitetail last year though.... 8)
Screenshot_2019-10-13-23-31-53-1.png
That post - viewtopic.php?f=1&t=72688

"...Any day hunting is better than the best day at the Office...!"......FOR SURE...!!!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

That is quite a rifle! I had never handled one before.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

A bit shorter than a Mariln 1894 20", but also a bit heavier.
Three Levers - 336, 89, 1894.png
Recoil with any load (and some approach 4,000 ft-lbs) seems to me about like a Garand; you know you're shooting a 'real gun', but it isn't unpleasant to me. YMMV. I don't hot-rod mine though - I just like lobbing huge-meplat chunks of lead around 1,500-1,800 fps... :mrgreen:
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

AJMD429 wrote: Mon Oct 14, 2019 9:07 am I don't hot-rod mine though - I just like lobbing huge-meplat chunks of lead around 1,500-1,800 fps... :mrgreen:
That's my friend's philosophy also. I like it!
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Huge chunks of lead at moderate velocity was what wiped out vast herds of bison. It has always worked.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

piller wrote: Mon Oct 14, 2019 10:20 am Huge chunks of lead at moderate velocity was what wiped out vast herds of bison. It has always worked.
Absolutely!! Good point.