Guess We're Going to See Some Fall Weather Finally

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: Hobie, AmBraCol

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
COSteve
Advanced Levergunner

Guess We're Going to See Some Fall Weather Finally

#1 Post by COSteve » Wed Oct 09, 2019 4:31 pm

It's been in the 80's here in Colorado recently and it's strange with the leaves starting to turn at 6,100ft asl where I live. We've all been looking forward to some fall weather. Today at 3:00pm it was 81° and sunny, well above our normal. Well, the weather is going to change, change suddenly, and change big tonight.

At midnight tonight it's predicted to be 35°and continue to drop and snow will start falling. With dropping temps throughout the day, at 3pm tomorrow it's predicted to be 21° with 1-3" of snow and still snowing until 9:00 at night with an overnight low on Thursday of 10°.

Guess we're getting the fall weather we were hoping for. :shock: :? :lol:
Steve

Noli nothis permittere te terere
“Remember, no matter where you go, there you are.” - Confucius
"When you find a find a big kettle of crazy, it's best not to stir it." - Dilbert

wecsoger
Senior Levergunner

Re: Guess We're Going to See Some Fall Weather Finally

#2 Post by wecsoger » Wed Oct 09, 2019 5:00 pm

Yes, this one's coming in with enthusiasm.

I have a co-worker, has a home office in Calgary Canada, he got nailed in the big storm two weeks ago. He was lamenting going from shirtsleeves to 12" of snow overnight.

I'm in southwest Ohio, mid to end of October is when the weather starts falling apart for us. Right now we're in drought conditions. Good for the farmers, they can knock down the corn and soybeans without sinking to the axles like last year.

I suspect it will not remain that way.

I envy you to a bit. My company had a facility in Aurora and I drove along 70 up in the mountains. Would have liked to spend more time in the little towns along the way.

PaperPatch
Levergunner 3.0

#3 Post by PaperPatch » Thu Oct 10, 2019 7:13 am

Agree with you there...we left Salida at noon Wednesday, blue skies and near 60 degrees. Heading North, we enjoyed the scenery and fall colors in full bloom there.
Arriving in Ogallala 6 hours later, I shivered while refueling. A fiercely cold wind was blowing, with snow in Thursday's forecast there. We'll leave for Omaha in the morning...stopping to visit Cabelas in Kearney along the way.

In any weather...life is good! I wish I would've packed my sweater though.

:wink:

COSteve
Advanced Levergunner

#4 Post by COSteve » Thu Oct 10, 2019 8:07 am

wecsoger wrote:
Wed Oct 09, 2019 5:00 pm
My company had a facility in Aurora and I drove along 70 up in the mountains. Would have liked to spend more time in the little towns along the way.
My wife and I took a short drive up and over on the Guanella Pass Scenic Byway in Clear Creek County last Tuesday. My wife likes to take that drive every so often to see the mountains. The pass is at 11,670ft asl so it's above the treeline. We go up 285 to Grant, over the pass and come out in Georgetown. Then it's down I70 to home. Takes a couple of hours and she loves the scenery. This year we saw the usual deer and a couple of red foxes (we have tons in our back yard every day so no biggie) and a couple of cow moose across a high meadow. Temps on Tuesday here were in the low 80°s and at the pass the truck showed 46°

As far as today, it's 7:20am and the official temp has fallen to 20° already. That's a 63° drop from 3:00 yesterday afternoon already and it's still dropping. Forecast is for the temp to keep falling all day and tonight so it's going to be cold! The snow flakes are starting to get larger from the crystals they were ½ hour ago. Wind gusts to 40mph so all in all, it's going to be a bit nasty out there today.

These are the days I love being retired. I can sit at the table drinking another cup of coffee, watch or read the news, and enjoy life. What a change from a couple weeks ago when the family was scooting around Italy in the heat and tourists. Good to be home.
Steve

"When you find a find a big kettle of crazy, it's best not to stir it." - Dilbert

piller
Advanced Levergunner

#5 Post by piller » Thu Oct 10, 2019 9:48 am

Here in a Suburb of Dallas we had a cold day yesterday at 83 degrees. I actually saw a few people wearing jackets. It is supposed to get into the 50s by tomorrow and I know there will be people in Winter coats. We really are used to temps in the 90s around here for 9 months of the year.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost

COSteve
Advanced Levergunner

#6 Post by COSteve » Thu Oct 10, 2019 10:42 am

piller wrote:
Thu Oct 10, 2019 9:48 am
Here in a Suburb of Dallas we had a cold day yesterday at 83 degrees. I actually saw a few people wearing jackets. It is supposed to get into the 50s by tomorrow and I know there will be people in Winter coats. We really are used to temps in the 90s around here for 9 months of the year.
I know y'all in the warmer states love to tease us when the weather gets cold and snowy. From SoCal to Florida you warm weather folks love the winterless lifestyle. I get it, but I'm the type who loves to have 4 seasons. At the end of Summer, I can't wait for the first snow and at the end of a cold Winter, I love the warming days.

Not the beach type either but give me a chance to get into the mountains, be they the Sierras, the Rockies, the Alps, etc., I'm in a good place. The mountains are my church, my sanctuary, my renewal. No matter the season, the mountains are my home.
Steve

piller
Advanced Levergunner

#7 Post by piller » Thu Oct 10, 2019 11:43 am

Having only 1 and a half seasons is one of the downsides to living here. My Grandparents lived in Delta then Retired to Grand Junction. The Aspens in their Fall gold were a beautiful sight.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost

wm
Senior Levergunner

#8 Post by wm » Thu Oct 10, 2019 4:36 pm

Forecasting first snow of the season in Michigan this weekend …… just as the trees are turning color.

Weird weather year this year.

Wm

GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

#9 Post by GunnyMack » Fri Oct 11, 2019 4:35 am

Not to worry Steve- when the ice caps melt and all that fresh water stops the Atlantic current and we are plunged into another ice age all those that live close to the equator will get to know old man winter!! :D
I'm with ya, the mountains are good for the soul.
When I lived in Trinidad CO I always enjoyed watching the weather coming over the front range. Awe inspiring to see the tornados gather and go across the plains too. But I was also snowed on the 21st of June!
There is only one Earth. Do it a favor? GET OFF.

TraderVic
Levergunner 2.0

#10 Post by TraderVic » Fri Oct 11, 2019 9:39 am

Just got back from camping on the shore of Chequamegon Bay, Lake Superior.
Dropped the truck camper so we could tour a bit and enjoy the brilliant fall colors (hit the peak in that area). Picked up some great smoked fish in Port Wing. Stopped at an old used book store in Washburn and bought two out of print books on a deer camp (long past), authored by a local from Iron River. Excellent reading, what a find !
Frost warnings are out area wide for the next 3-4 nights, daily highs...lower 40's or less. 1" or so of snow tomorrow, which won't last long.
Yep, a preview of the coming season.