A trip to Cody

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
jnyork
Advanced Levergunner

A trip to Cody

Post by jnyork »

Since we live only less than 3 hours from Cody WY and the Buffalo Bill Historical Center, now called Center of the West, Lovely Bride and I decided on a two day trip up there. The gun museum has recently been overhauled and remodeled from top to bottom, I wanted to see what they had done. We got overnight reservations at Buffalo Bill's old Irma Hotel, very cool place to stay and not very expensive for a tourist town.

For those of you who have not been there, that museum, along with the town of Cody, is a wonderful place to spend a week's vacation. If there is a list of the top ten museums in the country, the one at Cody would certainly be on it. The Firearms Museum contains thousands of historic firearms including the famous Winchester collection, it will take you at least two days to come even close to taking it in. Also, there is the Natural History museum, the Plains Indians museum, the Western Art museum and the memorabilia of Buffalo Bill.

The recent changes to the firearms museum are all for the better, IMHO. The entire formats of the displays are tuned in to educating members of the public in a positive way who know little or nothing about firearms. History, technical development, etc are all covered, as well as the historical uses of firearms, good and bad. No political correctness could be found, however, everything presented in a straightforward manner.

One change that I really liked was having hundreds of important firearms brought up out of the basement and put in heavy duty sliding racks and drawers that you can pull out and examine very closely, you can get your nose right up to them. There also several very good interactive displays, including an old time shooting gallery and some modern simulators.

We had a great time although I was no longer able to stay on my feet for hours at a time, pain caused me to have to leave before I really wanted to.

If you are firearms enthusiast and/or a Western history buff, this is your place, well worth a long day's drive and a week off of work. If you dont visit at least once, you are really missing out on a wonderful experience.
TraderVic
Levergunner 3.0

Re: A trip to Cody

Post by TraderVic »

Excellent, thanks for sharing !
This has been on my list for years. Good to know how much time to plan for when I do get there.
My bride and I are tentatively planning a trip out west in our truck Camper. This is certainly one of our destinations.
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

Was there a few years ago awesome place for sure, glad ya had a great trip. 8) :)
Because I Can, and Have
-------------------------------------------------------------
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
Disclaimer, not responsible for anyone copying or building anything i make.
Always consult an expert first.
COSteve
Advanced Levergunner

Done

Post by COSteve »

Done
Last edited by COSteve on Sat Jan 16, 2021 7:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Steve
Retired and Living the Good Life
No Matter Where You Go, There You Are
Malamute
Member Emeritus

Post by Malamute »

I used to keep a membership for times I made it through there and had a little time to look around. They also sent their quarterly magazine and you get a discount in the store there.

My dad and his girlfriend had a system. If he didnt feel like walking around somewhere much, she'd push him in the store wheelchair, if she got tired of pushing, theyd trade places a while, which was sort of funny, she was quite a bit younger.

Old Trail Town is also very interesting to see. i dont know what their seasonal hours are, its been a few years since I stopped there. It was much more interesting when Bob Edgar was alive and well, he was really interesting to talk to and a blast to shoot with.
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-

Isnt it amazing how many people post without reading the thread?
Larkbill
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Larkbill »

We spent a day there about 6 years ago then ate supper in the restaurant at the Irma. Magical place. Sounds like a trip back is in order.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

I checked off the box on my bucket list that was a visit to the Cody Museum years ago. Now I've added it back on the bucket list just because of the major renovation they've done. I have to go back and see how it compares to my earlier visit.
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
fordwannabe
Advanced Levergunner

Post by fordwannabe »

Well I am sure behind the times....last visit was 1982. Oh stuff I’m old. As Vall said back on my bucket list.
a Pennsylvanian who has been accused of clinging to my religion and my guns......Good assessment skills.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Don't forget, the guys that make these . . .

. . . are also in Cody....

https://www.bighornarmory.com/product/m ... 18-500-sw/
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

AJMD429 wrote: Tue Oct 08, 2019 7:52 pm Don't forget, the guys that make these . . .

. . . are also in Cody....

https://www.bighornarmory.com/product/m ... 18-500-sw/
Someday, they might make one in .44 Mag, and I'll sell the Marlin 1894 and get one. I know they make one in .45 Colt, but I already have enough .44 stuff to last two lifetimes.
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

I would love to go, but it will have to wait until PillHer retires. Wally World has her scared to take vacation. She was forced to use vacation 5 years ago to cover for time off after getting carpal tunnel syndrome fixed. She hasn't taken a single day off since. Nothing can convince her to do it.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost