Just for fun lets kick around this question ..... What was the best 22 rifle you have ever owned and why?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
wm
Senior Levergunner

Just for fun lets kick around this question ..... What was the best 22 rifle you have ever owned and why?

Post by wm »

What was the best 22 rifle you have ever owned and why?

Best is obviously a broad category so feel free to include explanations and illustrations that make your point. There are no wrong answers, just interesting anecdotes and opinions to discuss.

Wm
wm
Senior Levergunner

Re: Just for fun lets kick around this question ..... What was the best 22 rifle you have ever owned and why?

Post by wm »

I really kind of struggled with this. Just narrowing it down to a couple was tough. In my top 5 I have a Sears branded Winchester 290 that my father owned and he first taught me how to shoot with, a Ruger 10/22 that I picked up at a yard sale because it was a "air rifle with a co2 canister stuck in it" (the screw on the magazine had backed out a bit and hung up in the rifle …… fixed it with my pocket knife!), Winchester 52 target rifle that I shot small bore with during which I met all sorts of great friends and mentors, and a Savage 23.

I went with the Savage 23 because it was the rifle that was not connected to other people. It was my alone rifle …… the one I have always reached for when heading out for a day of solitary hiking and plinking or squirrel hunting. Its really accurate and feels like it is adult sized as opposed to scaled down. But it is how I use it that makes it special to me. The memories I have with it all me and mine. This is a crowded world we live in, and for me at least that time alone, really alone, is special. When I pick that rifle up I get a little shiver of anticipation of just wandering alone in the woods and fields.

Wm
jhrosier
Levergunner 3.0

Re: Just for fun lets kick around this question ..... What was the best 22 rifle you have ever owned and why?

Post by jhrosier »

I have had a bunch of .22 rifles over the past 50 years.
My favorite has become a CZ 452FS.
It beats all for combined workmanship, appearance, and accuracy.
I never imagined that a full-stocked rifle would shoot 3/8" groups at 50 yards.
Beaker
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Beaker »

The favorite or my best .22 rifle?? Too hard of a question. My least favorite was my Remington 550-1 though. It was accurate but a jam-o-matic, no matter how clean it was kept.
fordwannabe
Advanced Levergunner

Post by fordwannabe »

A toss up for me. Best as far as most used, a savage MKII bolt with a big scope and is threaded for my suppressor. Has an accu-trigger and shoots itty bitty groups. Reliable as a rock.
My best as far as makes me think! A pair of 22 semi-autos
For Christmas 1958 my Grandfather and Grandmother gave one of them to my Dad(he would have been 15). That same Christmas my Grandmother and my Dad gave the other one to my Grandfather. I have them both now. Sometimes they make me smile. Sometimes they must be dusty because my eyesight gets a little blurry when I pick them up.
a Pennsylvanian who has been accused of clinging to my religion and my guns......Good assessment skills.
yooper2
Levergunner 3.0

Post by yooper2 »

My favorite is an old Winchester 1890, fun to shoot and a joy to carry in the squirrel woods.
Best is probably a CZ 452 American left hand. Thing is very well made and shoots like a bench rifle with good ammo. Absolutely the most accurate sporter weight rifle I've ever owned.

Eric
win40-82
Levergunner 2.0

Post by win40-82 »

I've a Winchester 52C with medium weight barrel that is super accurate. It has scope blocks so I use Unertl 20X on it. The craftsmanship is outstanding.
Right behind that is a Remington 513T which is just as accurate but just doesn't have the fit and finish as the 52C. BUT for the most fun its the Ruger 10/22 with red dot sight, grand kids can empty a 25 round mag in about 5 seconds. Pop cans flying everywhere.
there is no such thing as a miss if you still have ammo
Bronco
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Bronco »

Springfield M2 22. Not a MII.
When eyes were good could hit a lemon all the time at a 100 yards with the sights it came with. Still have it , got it from my father. Great shooter and chock-full of memories!
Last edited by Bronco on Thu Oct 03, 2019 4:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gettin old ain't for sissies!
There just has to be dogs in heaven !
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Like WM said, mine and mine alone , for me it's a lowly ol High Standard Flight King. It was the first 22 I bought. But I have to say ANY 22 is a favorite of mine as i have Rugers, Remingtons, High Standards. But I think Remington hit the nail on the head with their 552 or 572- the semi that will work with short,long or long rifle .
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
TraderVic
Levergunner 3.0

Post by TraderVic »

A Winchester Model 1890 ( "90" ), hammer, octagon barrel, pump 22 LR.
Still have it. It was my grandfather's, then Dad, now me. I can only guess Grandad bought it new. An absolutely fine piece of true craftsmanship.
barbarossa
Senior Levergunner

Post by barbarossa »

My greener martini ,I can just sit there and look at it all day

4t5
Senior Levergunner

Post by 4t5 »

marlin model 60
Rumble.com/ hickock45
4t5
Senior Levergunner

Post by 4t5 »

keep it clean and it just keeps running
Rumble.com/ hickock45
bikerbeans
Levergunner 1.0

Post by bikerbeans »

I am still looking for my best 22 rimfire.

BB
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

I don`t shoot 22`s much any more but when i was about 12 i had a single shot bolt action Stevens that i shot a lot of rats at the dump with.
Other than that the Win. pumps are cool and i have no issues with my Henry lever. :)
Because I Can, and Have
-------------------------------------------------------------
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
Disclaimer, not responsible for anyone copying or building anything i make.
Always consult an expert first.
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

Can't say it's the "best" whatever than means. But it is my favorite.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

About 35 years ago I walked into a gun shop near where I worked at the time just as two young guys were leaving, Jim the proprietor said you'll never guess what I just bought for twenty quid off those guys, and he held up a BSA Supersport Five, I said I'll give you twenty-five, bugger he said but he did let me have it :lol:
Turned out to be the most accurate .22 I'd ever had, before or since, sadly a Marlin Mountie came my way and I did a swop, never warmed to that Marlin, it was nowhere near as accurate.
barbarossa I love that Greener.... :mrgreen:
The BSA below was not mine .
bsa-1.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
If more men loved and cherished their wives as much as I love bacon the world would be a much better place.
jdad
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jdad »

This is my type of thread. I'm a rimfire junkie.

These are what I still have

Single shot - CPA Stevens #49

Bolt - CZ452 American

Semiauto - Winchester 74

Pump - Winchester 61

Lever - Marlin 39A
I know a whole lot about very little and nothing about a whole lot.
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

I've owned/shot/hunted literally dozens of different .22cal long guns, of every type and make, over the past 60 years - so I have a few different kinds of faves:

* Lever gun: a .22 WRM Winchester 9422M-XTR (most handsome this category) - runner up: a Marlin 39a.

* Autoloader: a .22LR Ruger 10/22 Carbine (most versatile this category) - runner up (tie): A Browning Auto-22 & a Remington Nylon 66

* Bolt gun: a .22LR Belgian Browning T-2 T-Bolt Deluxe (most accurate this category) - runner up: a Winchester Model 69a

* Pump gun: a .22LR Marlin Model 38 (most nostalgic this category) - runner up: a Remington Model 121A

* Single Shot (break-open): a .22H Savage Model 219 (best handling this category)

* Single-shot (dropping block): a .22LR Stevens Model 71 favorite (most accurate this category)

* Combination gun: a .22LR/.410 Savage Model 24 (most nostalgic this category) - runner up: a .22WRM/.410 Chiappa Double Badger

In my state, my CF rifles are proscribed for most hunting here, ergo my preferences for shooting/hunting RF rifles here.

2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

My favorite is a Martini-Greener. I can shoot that rifle all day long and never stop smiling!

My most accurate is a short barreled Savage MKII with a threaded barrel and Kryptek stock. That thing is a tack driver!

I'll have to get a picture of the Martini.

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
barbarossa
Senior Levergunner

Post by barbarossa »

Another favourite 22 is my C Sharps 1885 highwall, 26 inch half Octagonal barrel and single set trigger
Sarge
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Sarge »

A mld-70s Marlin 39 Mountie. Ran slick and was lights-out accurate; This was 77-78 I could not seem to miss with it.
People were smarter before the Internet, or imbeciles were harder to notice.
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

9422 Classic very slick.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

Ray Newman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ray Newman »

I am lucky enough to have my maternal grandfather's(1886-1981) Winchester M1885 Low Wall Winder Musket. A take down, factory chambered in 22 LR, has a Lyman tang, Beech front sight, and the Krag rifle barrel sight. Killed my first woodchuck with it and besides my grandfather, all of my cousins and uncles hunted with it. Brings back memories every time I see or handle it.

My next best would be a CPA-made Stevens 441/2 .22LR. has a Schuetzen stock and a Lyman 15 Super Target Spot 'scope. Very accurate, but a bit difficult to shoot from the bench.
The most important aspect of this signature line is that you don't realize it doesn't say anything significant until you are just about done reading it & then it is too late to stop reading it....
Grand Poo Bah WA F.E.S.

In real life may you be the bad butt that you claim to be on social media.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

A Savage 24 (I think) 22 LR/410 that I got used. Thinking 'survival/truck gun' at first, I handed over the money and took it home. Then I got looking at it, with lots of wear and tear, but quickly realized the wear and tear was not that of a used and abused kids rifle ready for barrel shortening and a flashlight duct taped to the stock. This gun had the extensive wear but highly maintained condition of a gun that had been used afield by someone who really cared about what they were doing and what equipment they were using.

I wish that gun could talk.

Since I obviously wasn't going to use such a gem as a truck gun, but was also not at all a bird or small game hunter, it went to the back of the gun safe as a potential trade or resale item.

Ten years later I found myself with a 6 year old son who obviously needed to have a 22. My first thought was one of the several models of "kids rifles" on the market, until I looked at the crude sights and still-too-long stocks unless your 'kid' is 15 or so. I didn't come from a family where you would wait that long before getting a 'kid' his or her first gun...!

So, as a true gun-loving redneck, I found the obvious answer was a CAR-15 with a 22 LR adaptor (replaced the bolt carrier). The stock can actually be put in the shortest position which is perfect for a six-year-old (who would have to put a 'Cricket’ buttstock in his armpit, then scrunch down like Igor to see the sights) , the muzzle is protected from getting dipped in the dirt by the flash hider, it has a convenient carrying handle, the sights are not only high quality and precision adjustable, but they are actually at a height that is usable for a kid without scrunching down awkwardly, as well as being way more durable if the gun would be dropped or mishandled. The dreaded vertical pistol grip is much more suited for training and aimed fire than a normal wood stock, the safety is intuitive, the balance point with the short barrel is much better for a 6-year-old than 'classic' guns like a Marlin 39, and perhaps most importantly for some kids, it really looks cool...! 8)

So an AR-15 with collapsible stock was one of the first actual '22' rifles any of my kids shot, which included my son. They all 'grew up' to shoot it in 5.56 mode later on, so it served double-duty.

However, as he grew older, by age 12 or so he was clearly interested in hunting game of all types, and was going to take it very seriously. So one day I remembered I had an excellent gun for just that purpose now that he was older and had longer arms to handle the much longer rifle. It was also nice that it was a single shot, which helps teach disciplined shooting. So the second '22' he shot was the Savage combo-gun.

My only real concern was that the sights pretty well sucked. The front I believe is either a worn square blade or may have some remnant of a bead, but the back is a scrawny little rounded off and worn 'notch' with only the crudest drift adjustment in the dovetail for windage and the usual crummy elevation slider.

I guess that's why young people have much better vision - so they can use really crappy sights... he had no problem hitting the 4-inch gong at a hundred yards with it 95% of the time when sitting at the bench. :shock:

Since then, that gun is become somewhat of a constant companion for him (along with a Glock 9mm of course :D ), and taken lots of small game for the dinner table. It would probably be the last gun he would ever part with or modify in any way. It is really nice to see it in the hands of someone who really appreciates it, far more than I ever would have.

Third '22'.... As for me....probably my Ruger 96/22, with the aftermarket integrally suppressed barrel and red dot sight... quite the different type of firearm than the Savage, but an invaluable one and probably the best one I can think of for teaching new shooters. It has no recoil, no noise, no intimidating appearance, and if used from a rest, the red dot sight makes it almost impossible to miss the 6" gong at 50 yards.

So the person who has never shot a gun, and is nervous about the noise and the recoil and that they might make a fool out of themselves by missing the target, winds up hitting it 10 out of 10 times and looking at me like "...is shooting a gun really this easy...??...this is FUN....!!!"

And from there we spend four hours going to bigger and noisier guns very gradually, then ones with recoil..... it is amazing how much noise and recoil a person puts up with once they're having fun....! We usually close out the session with them shooting either a Garand or an M1A, and then a Super Blackhawk or a Redhawk, and when they hit a 5 gallon bucket with a 44 magnum at 50 yards, having never even shot a gun until that day, their facial expression is the epitome of feeling "empowered". :mrgreen:
Last edited by AJMD429 on Thu Feb 11, 2021 10:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
buckeyeshooter
Senior Levergunner

Post by buckeyeshooter »

I have a Remington 121 pump. Serial number in the 2xxx range. I was taught to shoot with it by my grandfather, my father was also taught to shoot with it, as were my brothers and sister. It is still in excellent condition and I have only a Daisy 22 that I bought a Walmart in the 80's for $30. to compare it with.
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

My Marlin Glenfield 60 18 shot .22 lr that I bought from a friend of my older brother. It was my first rifle, first .22, and it was accurate.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

I have a pile of .22 rifles now, but when I was a kid, we had none.
My grandfather was a Maine warden prior to, during, and for a while after WW2. He had a small homemade gun cabinet with a small assembly of firearms. In there, was a Remington model 512 that he gave to my dad to shoot some pest. We had it from then on.
The thing was, and is, un uncanny shooter. It's only ever worn its original sights. I used to carry it all over the woods when I was a kid. I just loved the old thing. My friends had "better" semi autos with scopes and all, but as long as I could make out the mark, I could always best them with the old 512. I haven't fired it in a long time now. Guess I should fix that.
On a strange note; it was the only bolt action rifle we had until about 1989. I have a few now, but they don't see much use.
"Oh bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round.
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

I “had” a Remington 541-S that I wish I had back . That one would shoot five shot groups from the bench at 25 yards that could be covered with an aspirin tablet . I also “had” a Kimber 82 classic with a three digit serial number that shot almost as well . And finally I also “had” a very nice Pre 64 Winchester Model 61 that would on a good day from the bench at 25 yards do as well as the two bolt guns already mentioned .
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Tycer »

My father in law’s Remington 510 Targetmaster from when he was young. I got it from him not long before he passed and all his other guns got auctioned. I hope to teach a grand child to shoot with it and preserve it for them.
Last edited by Tycer on Fri Oct 04, 2019 9:52 am, edited 2 times in total.
Kind regards,
Tycer
----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.saf.org - https://peakprosperity.com/ - http://www.guntalk.com
mickbr
Levergunner 3.0

Post by mickbr »

CZ452 in the past. One a open sighted military trainer as they call it and the other a scoped Cz452 American. Im currently looking for a ruger 96/22 lever action which will probably become my main 22.
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

My first .22 was a used-hard Winchester Model 1890 pump that cost $30. Dad agreed to put up half if I could raise/save the other $15. The stock had been repaired but it seemed in decent shape. However it turned out the bore was too rough for any serious accuracy, so we traded that in at the Bon Marché department store in Tacoma, Washington, toward a new Belgium-made Browning T-bolt -- complete with infamous salt-cured stock (did not know that at the time). This would have been about 1966 or 67.
It had a fabulous barrel, a wonderful trigger and very capable receiver sights. I used it to earn my Marksmanship merit badge, even though I could have shot the courses with government-owned Remington 40X target rifles our Fort Lewis instructor had access to. He was at first skeptical about the T-bolt, but when he saw the groups I was shooting, he shot it himself and pronounced it a very fine rifle.
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

My criteria for "best .22RF" has to be very accurate. I'm not someone who thinks blasting lots of rounds quickly is that important, and I don't care about a .22RF being lightweight woods hunting rifle. I don't do hardly any .22RF hunting, so that's not on my criteria of best.
So if a .22RF is extremely accurate, it's going to get into my top 10 of guns I love. That said, my all time favorite for a long time was my Model 52 Winchester heavy barrel target. It was the most accurate .22 I'd ever owned, and for many years nothing could beat it that I owned.
Then a few years ago a close friend passed away and I was asked by him before his passing to sell whatever guns he couldn't get sold prior to passing. In the guns was a gun that never appealed to me a lot, simply because it was too new, and a clone. It's a Ballard Rifle Co. copy of the original Marlin Ballard, and done in Schoyen style with a heavy Badger barrel in .22LR match chamber. I decided before I sold it I'd like to try it out at the range. So I took it out for a day with several types of ammo from run of the mill to high quality target ammo. The gun outshot any gun I owned, including my old friend the Win. 52!
After that day I went home and began contemplating my options. The Schoyen style Ballard was a very expensive gun, but I figured I could get some of that back if I sold the 52. I approached my friend's wife about buying it, and she was happy I wanted to keep Fred's gun. We worked out a deal and I've never regretted buying a newer clone. Sold the 52 to another friend and it's in good hands also.
Every time I shoot the newer Ballard I love it even more! It's so accurate it's almost boring, so I try to challenge myself by shooting at smaller targets, and stretching the targets out further to make things interesting.

Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

A Ranger (Sears) M34 single shot.
My grandfather gave it to me when I was 12 or 13.
It was rusty on the outside and had a chunk knocked out of the stock.
I could stretch a box of shells a long way with that.
Used to shoot bumblebees
The bolt Spring finally got weak. I guess I could fix it....
Its still in the safe. Always will be.
"Make yourself an honest man, and then you may be sure that there is one less scoundrel in the world." - Thomas Carlyle
EdinCT
Levergunner 3.0

Post by EdinCT »

I won a few hundred bucks in a check pool at work when I was young and bought myself a Remington 541S and unlike 6PT it hasn't left. It is a amazing rifle! I also have a 39A that does well but if I was forced to choose the 39A would go before the 541S.
My Dad give me is Remington Model 4 rolling block when I was a boy and it was so worn from his shooting it that it will split the rim of a high speed long rifle and pepper your face. If you stick to standard velocity lr you are good which Im sure high speed ammo wasn't made when this rifle came out.
I remember lazy summer days in my Grandfathers wood lot shooting shorts out of this gun at around 40 paces at empty 20 shot shells laying on end and seeming like I could not miss! My eyes are gone the way of 60 plus year old shooters and 22 shorts sure don't seem to shoot like they did in my rifles so I guess its all memories now.
Rimfire McNutjob
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rimfire McNutjob »

A Remington 511 that was my father's when he was a boy and that he taught me to shoot on. I have a Marlin 1873 that's fun to shoot as well, but the 511 will always be my favorite.
... I love poetry, long walks on the beach, and poking dead things with a stick.
new pig hunter
Senior Levergunner

Post by new pig hunter »

Easy question, Easy answer: Remington Nylon 66.

Bought it new in '72. Shot many thousands of rounds through it, always accurate, always 100% functional. Then it started double-feeding. The internet showed me a simple fixit. Since then I've shot thousands of rounds through it, still 100% functional. It continues to be in excellent mechanical & functional condition.
t.r.
Levergunner 3.0

Post by t.r. »

I was gifted a Squire Bingham rifle in 1981 that was built in the Philippines. A very accurate semi-auto rifle that shot exceptionally tight little clusters at 50 yards. But after a couple thousand rounds fired, It developed a problem. The local gunsmith told me that he couldn't find any spare parts for it so I sold the walnut stock and magazine on eBay. The rest went into the metal recycle dumpster at local welding shop. So it goes.

TR
Fire Up the Grill - Hunting is NOT Catch & Release!
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

If there is a winner in this thread, I vote for Vall. That Schoyen-style Ballard is magnificent! :o 8)
1894c

Post by 1894c »

Hi-- my all-time favorite .22-cal rifle is the Henry Classic Lever Action Carbine, not expensive, but it is very accurate... :)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Larkbill
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Larkbill »

Dead heat between my Remington 511X and 572. Just depends on what mood I'm in when I go shooting.
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

A WWII-ish Winchester 72....Also an old 39 Mountie that was fast and smooth as silk, that I stoupidly traded for a piece of pelosi Rem bolt tube fed 5??...
The 9422 and 9422M rank right up there as well, but not as accurate as the two listed above.
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

Most accurate is my Remington 40X .22 that competed in the Olympic Games back in the 60’s . Long story, but after I sold the Redfield Olympic sights that were on it ,I made money on the purchase as I paid $70.00 for the rifle when I bought it.

Most fun pinker is my custom Ruger 10-22 with Fajen stock and match grade shorter SS barrel. It’s almost as accurate as the
40X.
Jay Bird

Post by Jay Bird »

If you want to see how accurate your favorite .22 really is, try it at our long range (non NRA) .22 match. FORGET any high velocity ammo or Walmart special junk. The cheapest stuff we use is CCI Green Tag.....that's what I use......

Benchrest with bags....rain or shine-----there's always wind of some sort....nothing for .22 ammo to get blown off a foot in any direction.
Chickens---77 meters 10 animals
Pigs------100 meters 10 animals
Turkeys--150 meters 10 animals
Rams-----200 meters. 10 animals

High score last weekend was a 28 x 40.....very windy.....the guys all use high dollar target rifles with higher dollar/high power scopes. I've seen scores in the mid to upper thirties on calm days.

I used an original Winchester Lo-Wall with a 28" oct barrel and a 5x Stevens old technology and dark scope....it's all 110 years old....I did manage a 19x40. Even though I thought the rifle was accurate, it was nothing compared to the others and mine is under a half inch at 50 meters.

Chuck 100 has the rifle several guys use...a 40x Remington. I'm thinking of snagging an old Remington model 37 for this game.

Paint can, 'O6 brass and a 12 ga rd. for comparison---6

HawkCreek
Levergunner 2.0

Post by HawkCreek »

The best one I ever had was my first 10/22 that I saved and saved and bought for myself as a young boy. Shot the snot out of it and never had a problem. Remington Golden Bullets were my go-to and they never gave me any problems either. Shot it so much the barrel walked out about 1/8", I was in high school before I figured out I should take the stock off and tighten it back up!

I'd like to have a 94/22 like the one my step-dad carried in his truck but now days they seem to be made of precious metals.
Steve in Micco
Levergunner

Post by Steve in Micco »

1978 Winchester M9422. Slick from day one . But why these were ever named 9422 escapes me. More like a M9222. Just sayin'.
1894cfan
Senior Levergunner

Post by 1894cfan »

'77 Marlin 39a, first gun I bought for myself and 42 years on it's still a smooth action tack driver that is still taking out bunnies and squeeks off hand with CCI segmented quiets! With all the guns I own, it's still the one I spend the most time with. :mrgreen:
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Scott Tschirhart »

While it is not my most accurate, nor the most reliable, it is the .22 that I use more than any other.

Ruger Charger with a brace and a can.
JOG
Levergunner 3.0

Post by JOG »

If memory serves me correctly it's a Winchester model 69 bolt action with the little 5 round mag. Marlin 39 and Winchester 9422.
Shasta
Senior Levergunner
Location: Shasta County, the far right stronghold in California

Post by Shasta »

My favorite (and most accurate) .22 is a late production Winchester Low Wall that has been re-barreled with a 27" heavy target barrel topped by a Montana Vintage Arms 6x 30" scope.

It shoots very well with CCI Standard Velocity ammunition. I use it for Smallbore Long Range Silhouette, where approximately 3/8 scale NRA silhouettes are fired at 50, 100, 150, & 200 meters using Black Powder Cartridge Rifle rules. Here is a 50 meter benchrest target shot with this rifle:

Shasta
California Rifle & Pistol Association LIFE Member
National Rifle Association BENEFACTOR LIFE Member

http://www.hcrpclub.org/schedule.html

avatar pic is Shasta Dam, Shasta Lake, & Mt. Shasta