Super Black Hawk Grip Frames?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Lastmohecken
Senior Levergunner

Super Black Hawk Grip Frames?

Post by Lastmohecken »

I own several Ruger singleactions, with one being a 4-5/8" Super Black Hawk 44 mag. It came from the factory with a regular Blackhawk grip frame, not the larger square trigger guard grip frame that is typical of the longer 7-1/2" barreled Super Blackhawks. I know people swap out these grip frames on the Ruger's sometimes.

Does anyone know of a good place to purchase the longer Super Blackhawk grip frames?
NRA Life Member, Patron
jhrosier
Levergunner 3.0

Re: Super Black Hawk Grip Frames?

Post by jhrosier »

I bought a couple Ruger grip frames directly from the factory a few years ago.
I don't know if they still offer them.
Be aware that the grip frames are not finished as each one is fitted to the width of the cylinder frame and the outside surfaces are polished..
the SBH Hunter grip frame has the rounded trigger guard like the BH but with the greater length of the SBH.
You might get a "take off" from ebay but if it is already finished narrower than your cylinder frame, it could be very challenging to fit.
If you don't mind the appearance, a rubber grip might work with no fitting.
good luck, Jack
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Years ago I bought from Midway a brass grip frame for my BH 41. I find the added heft helps with recoil but on the hip its a drag. However the brass polished up and clear coated really adds to the wow factor. Yes it took some file and polishing work to fit.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
PaperPatch
Levergunner 3.0

Post by PaperPatch »

1570106635803724586174.jpg
Give Ruger Customer Service a call.....they did two of them for me. They will install the SBH hammer also upon request.

:wink:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
gcs
Levergunner 3.0

Post by gcs »

my son had a vaquero with a birds grip that he wanted to change out to a regular grip. Ruger would not provide the needed grip frame as a part, they would only install it at the factory, he found various grip frames on ebay, however.... different models, and changes within models needed different grip frames, he finally found one that worked on his (old) vaquero, which I believe was a black hawk frame but only from a certain group change, if that makes any sense. Ruger wasn't very cooperative in explaining the changes and what grip went with what gun or what change in the model. Oh, and some hammers worked with the grip frames and some didn't.
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

I have bought several from Brownells and Midway USA. All require hand fitting as they come as cast but internally machined.
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

Chuck 100 yd wrote: Thu Oct 03, 2019 10:10 am All require hand fitting as they come as cast but internally machined.

Being a proud manufacturer (as opposed to a private party) with a reputation to uphold, this is the reason Ruger wanted to change the gripframe in house.

That said, I've switched out more than a few Ruger SA gripframes - some fit perfectly, others not so much...… :roll:

Lastmohecken
Senior Levergunner

Post by Lastmohecken »

Thanks, guys
I will do a little checking on it.
NRA Life Member, Patron
Sarge
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Sarge »

I looked at that whole 'new grip frame/fitting/new grips process and skinned the cat another way. I am certainly happy with the outcome, YMMV.

http://www.thesixgunjournal.net/texas-g ... ver-grips/

People were smarter before the Internet, or imbeciles were harder to notice.