Saddle gun woes

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
HawkCreek
Levergunner 2.0

Saddle gun woes

Post by HawkCreek »

Just got back from Montana where I spent the last month playing cowboy. Spent a few weeks helping watch over some forrest service leases for a few ranchers during hunting season. Toward the end we gathered and I had time to help with one big drive before I had to come home for a family reunion (who does that in the fall anyway?). For those of you that havent heard there were several grizzly attacks around Ennis which is not far from where we were. Everyone packed a gun though some were surprisingly small/light. I know of one outfitter who shot a grizzly that charged their pack string and was adamant that anything not matter how small a caliber is better than nothing. I carried an old model Vaquero in .45 Colt filled with heavy BB bear loads. The both ranchers I was helping asked if I'd carry a rifle on my horse, I'd brought a Winchester .30-30 Trapper and an 1895SRC in .30-06 (a repro not an original) and elected that bigger is better when concerning bears. Well sure enough the knot-head I was mounted on rolled on my rifle and busted the stock. I can't blame him entirely, I took him through a bog and he went down.

I made a trip to town shortly after and picked up some two part epoxy and did as good a job as I could at repairing a broken rifle stock while still in cow camp.

After letting that cure for two days I took it out and fired 5 rounds without the stock coming apart. I called that good enough and the 1895 was put back into service.

I forgot to take a picture but those 5 test rounds fired at 75 yards into a cereal box were perfectly centered and just a bit high. My zero was unaffected!

That rifle was carried on three different horses and never had another issue. But it sure was comforting to have a Winchester handy whenever we came upon some big grizzly tracks!

And of course the last bit drive was during that 100 year storm that was all over the news. Thankfully it wasn't as bad as was predicted but we still had two cowboys get bucked off and since I was back on that original knot-head he of course forgot how to walk and went down in the snow but thats a story for another time.

wvfarrier
Senior Levergunner

Re: Saddle gun woes

Post by wvfarrier »

Man alive...i remember those days. Both fun and miserable.
A bondservant of our Lord, Christ Jesus
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Awesome! What a time. I bet there's more than one here that is jealous of such an adventure.
If it were me, I'd leave that "cowboy fix" on that 95. It is "authentic", and will forever be a reminder of the adventure. :D
"Oh bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round.
Jay Bird

Post by Jay Bird »

Nice story Hawkcreek.....and even nicer pics! What you were doing for the last month is living larger than any cruise or island vacation is. For the third year in a row, I've missed my Colorado elk hunt....oh well....

As you know, the stock can be stripped of its finish and easily ironed out. You'll have to do the forend so it matches. Add a few coats of tung oil finish and you will be good-to-go.---6
wm
Senior Levergunner

Post by wm »

Anyone can buy a tattoo …… but men who have been there and done that will earn their scars and can proudly display them. Guns are like that too.

Wm
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

Thanks for sharing!
I know what you are dealing with. Many years ago I had a horse roll over my Model 71 .348 ... but Someone was watching over us as it never got a scratch!
Those "scars" are worthy reminders of times you will cherish years from now.
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

Cool beans, i`d love to do that someday problems or not. 8) :)
Because I Can, and Have
-------------------------------------------------------------
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
Disclaimer, not responsible for anyone copying or building anything i make.
Always consult an expert first.
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

I love the leather lacing that's holding the stock together - IMO, it gives the rifle "character", and I'd have left it on if it were mine.

Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

Pete44ru wrote: Tue Oct 01, 2019 5:39 pm .

I love the leather lacing that's holding the stock together - IMO, it gives the rifle "character", and I'd have left it on if it were mine.

Me to i`d get some thinner leather strings and wet them wrap it and let er dry.
Last edited by Pitchy on Tue Oct 01, 2019 6:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Because I Can, and Have
-------------------------------------------------------------
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
Disclaimer, not responsible for anyone copying or building anything i make.
Always consult an expert first.
PaperPatch
Levergunner 3.0

Post by PaperPatch »

:wink:
TWHBC
Levergunner 2.0

Post by TWHBC »

Great pictures, great story!
Agree with the others on the stock repair!
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Years ago I was told that a horse is just a thousand pound 3 year old child. Nothing I have seen has changed that. There are uses for a hay burner, but I don't completely trust them because they are sure to act up at the most inconvenient time.

Glad you could fix that stock without trouble.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

Excellent story and comments. 8)

N.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
HawkCreek
Levergunner 2.0

Post by HawkCreek »

Thanks everyone!

I may go back and add a brass screw sort of like the Brits did on some of their Enfields but I don't really think it needs it for strength. It was out in the weather and getting bumped around for nearly a month after the incident and I never had another issue. I'm debating sanding the stock down and refinishing or just leaving as is. Refinishing would look a lot better but as is it tells it's own story of actual use.
M. M. Wright
Advanced Levergunner

Post by M. M. Wright »

piller wrote: Tue Oct 01, 2019 7:34 pm Years ago I was told that a horse is just a thousand pound 3 year old child. Nothing I have seen has changed that. There are uses for a hay burner, but I don't completely trust them because they are sure to act up at the most inconvenient time.

Glad you could fix that stock without trouble.
That's why I prefer mules. Just about the time a horse gets old enough to depend on it dies. A mule can still be going strong at 40.
M. M. Wright, Sheriff, Green county Arkansas (1860)
Currently living my eternal life.
NRA Life
SASS
ITSASS
BigSky56
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BigSky56 »

I ride horses and pack mules, I won't ride something that's smarter than me. I've pushed horses past ground bees and hornet nests and across rivers, cricks and steep ground to stay ahead of trouble, you cant push a mule. Good story hope your rifle stays true watch the bogs. danny