Dillema

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
gcs
Levergunner 3.0

Dillema

Post by gcs »

I have a hunting property about 5 hours away thats been in my family over 50 years, I'm now the sole owner, I'm 67 with new hips and bad everything else arthritis wise. My son would hunt with me every year but he has moved on to Texas and not likely to come back. I was going to gift it to him. My wife has been after me to sell, She has MS and has progressed to where I can't leave her alone for too long, and she claims I'm too old to walk around the woods on my own, though I've done it all my life, and I'm still commercial fishing, albeit at my own pace....

I hate the idea of selling and giving up my hunting life, I realize I'm venting, and the "smart" thing to do is to sell out in a good economy, the property's there are not really worth a lot, maybe 1500 an acre in good times.

Any of you old guys still hunting by yourselves?, Not looking for sympathy, it is what it is, but I hate this, and I'm upset at my wife for pushing it. If anyone has been in a similar situation please share your thoughts...Thanks for listening.
JimT
Shootist

Re: Dillema

Post by JimT »

I am 73 and still hunt by myself when I can.
I would rather go to my Maker doing something I enjoy .. being out in the hills & woods .. enjoying nature ... being with old friends ... than laying in a bed sucking an oxygen tube. So I stay as active as I can ... travel to see friends now and then .. and just try to keep going. I am hoping to return to Africa for a few months this next year.

I find for me .. with important life decisions .. time spent reflecting quietly .. talking to Jesus and just listening .. helps. It does me anyhow.
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

To me the real question is do you and your family need the income from selling this property? If the answer is no, then I sure wouldn't do so. I'd keep it and hunt it when the opportunity allows. I would guess with your wife's health issues that wont be aa week long hunt, but there should be a day here and there where someone could stay with her so you can get some hunting in. Besides it would be good for your mental health to just have an occasional walk in the great outdoors, even if you didn't shoot any game.
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
TraderVic
Levergunner 3.0

Post by TraderVic »

marlinman93 wrote: Sat Sep 28, 2019 9:09 am To me the real question is do you and your family need the income from selling this property? If the answer is no, then I sure wouldn't do so. I'd keep it and hunt it when the opportunity allows. I would guess with your wife's health issues that wont be aa week long hunt, but there should be a day here and there where someone could stay with her so you can get some hunting in. Besides it would be good for your mental health to just have an occasional walk in the great outdoors, even if you didn't shoot any game.

X2

If/when you know you'll need the resources this land will provide for you and your wife, that would be the time to let it go.
Best wishes to you friend.
Vic
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

I'm 71 and hunt on my own, I don't hunt in very difficult terrain and then it's mostly just squirrels but I would hunt anywhere and almost anything if I got the chance.
I would keep your property even if you can only use it occasionally, just knowing that it is there can be comforting in a way, if it's gone then so is part of who you are. Of course that's just my opinion, only you fully understand your circumstances.
I wish you well which ever way you choose.
If more men loved and cherished their wives as much as I love bacon the world would be a much better place.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

I made things happen so that I could live on 'the hunting property' that my great grandfather would come to hunt and fish on with his daughter in the 1880's.

It has meant financial sacrifice but worked out ok, and I'll be able to be here until I die. No 5 hour drives thankfully.

I mention that because if you could move there and still have your job, or retire, it might be something to consider; sell your house and build a small place there just for you and your wife; you could build it with her restricted mobility in mind. A 'cabin' type affair perhaps.

Just a thought.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

IMO, in her way, I think your wife is expressing her need to have you by her side in her time of need - so please try to not be agitated about her prodding.
(BT, DT - NTS)

I'm going to be 77 by this Thanksgiving, and since most of my hunting partners are either disabled or deceased, I've mentored a Grandson and a nephew to partner with me when hunting (when I'm able, or in the mood).

Is there a youngster in your family or neighborhood that would accompany you ?

BTW - a younger partner is great for deer-dragging.. ;)

765x53
Senior Levergunner

Post by 765x53 »

Have you considered leasing hunting rights to one or more individuals to provide a little income and still own the land?
wm
Senior Levergunner

Post by wm »

Form a club, let the club buy you out, you retain a membership stake, when you pass the membership goes to your son or he can sell it back to the club.

Of course that assumes you have a half dozen or more friends or acquaintances you can do this with and that you can get past the idea it isn't yours anymore.

Wm

P.S. I am sorry to hear about your wife. MS is a horrible disease.
Ray Newman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ray Newman »

Marlinman93 is onto it!
The most important aspect of this signature line is that you don't realize it doesn't say anything significant until you are just about done reading it & then it is too late to stop reading it....
Grand Poo Bah WA F.E.S.

In real life may you be the bad butt that you claim to be on social media.
.45colt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by .45colt »

Don't "EVER GIVE UP" if You want to go, want to "Try" Who cares. If it was Mine I would pitch a wall tent and Hunt one days two days or what ever. last October I camped in tent with the Young Kids and it was *33 at night . We got up and had some Hot coffee ,eggs and corned beef hash and We were good to Go. Find some Younger guys to help out.