45-90 Express Loads

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
M. M. Wright
Advanced Levergunner

45-90 Express Loads

Post by M. M. Wright »

A while back someone asked if anyone knew what the velocity of the old black powder express loads for 45-90 was. Since I needed to load a few 45-90s It was an easy stretch to run some of them across the Crony. I had plenty of clean sized and primed brass so I counted out 20 and ran them through the neck expander so the bullet pull would be the same for all. Next I had to do a little experimenting to find how much powder I could get into the modern cases. It turned out to be 85 grains of ffg GOEX but it had to be dropped through the 30 inch drop tube and compressed under the arbor press before seating the bullet which put the final 1/8th inch of compression on.
Here's a shot of the set-up we used to chronograph the loads. Some of you will remember my old '86 that had a dark bore but the hundred rounds or so I've put through it has it shiny as a new one inside.
A labor of love and no I don't mind the clean-up.
Velocities were:1604, 1683, 1722, 1492, and 1570 for an average of 1614. Ordinarily I would use a grease cookie under the bullet but to get in a bit more powder I didn't but found I had to wipe the bore after every shot to maintain accuracy. Note the 2 out to the right. I can even see they were a little sideways.
M. M. Wright, Sheriff, Green county Arkansas (1860)
Currently living my eternal life.
NRA Life
SASS
ITSASS
Ray
Advanced Levergunner

Re: 45-90 Express Loads

Post by Ray »

Excellent loading bench and range report !

More often than not we only hear of the "scouring affect" of black powder in a negative context.
m.A.g.a. !
Jay Bird

Post by Jay Bird »

That's what I call a "post of substance". Well done M.M. ..... ..I like the "over the hood" shooting fashion....good ole boy style. :D

Your gun is plenty accurate enough for minute of deer....or like I like to say, minute of beer can.----6
M. M. Wright
Advanced Levergunner

Post by M. M. Wright »

Yeah six, that 300 grain bullet really works on our little whitetails. I actually killed one at 225 yds. with it and almost that same load.
M. M. Wright, Sheriff, Green county Arkansas (1860)
Currently living my eternal life.
NRA Life
SASS
ITSASS
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

M.M. Wright,

That may have been my post about the 45-90-300 velocities, I did ask sometime ago. Thanks for the chronographing.

Question; is that amount of variation normal? I have no experience loading large black powder rounds.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
bikerbeans
Levergunner 1.0

Post by bikerbeans »

That ole Chevy is smokin' bad, you might want to consider a valve job and a set of rings. :D

Very nice rifle.

BB
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

Your having fun Ron, thanks for sharing. 8) :)
Because I Can, and Have
-------------------------------------------------------------
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
Disclaimer, not responsible for anyone copying or building anything i make.
Always consult an expert first.