Great Guy Who Also Loved the Model 94 Trapper

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
JimT
Shootist

Great Guy Who Also Loved the Model 94 Trapper

Post by JimT »

Joaquin-Jackson.jpg
Though I believe he had this one made specially because Winchester was not offering them at that time.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Re: Great Guy Who Also Loved the Model 94 Trapper

Post by J Miller »

He makes that 94 look tiny. Must be from Texas.
Unfortunately I don't recognize him.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

Texas Ranger Joaquin Jackson
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

I hadn't heard of him but here's a writeup - https://truewestmagazine.com/the-lastin ... n-jackson/
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
TraderVic
Levergunner 3.0

Post by TraderVic »

AJMD429 wrote: Wed Sep 25, 2019 9:52 pm I hadn't heard of him but here's a writeup - https://truewestmagazine.com/the-lastin ... n-jackson/
Very interesting person.....and article. Does anyone know what caliber his levergun was?
Ray
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ray »

In 2005, Jackson was interviewed by Texas Monthly and stated,

"I personally believe a weapon should never have over, as far as a civilian, a five-round capacity. If you’re a hunter, if you’re going to go hunting with a weapon, you shouldn’t need over but one round. So five rounds would be plenty ... Personally, I think assault weapons basically…need to be in the hands of the military, and in the hands of the police.”

After receiving angry criticism from pro-gun activists, Jackson backpedalled and claimed that he was referring to fully automatic rifles (i.e., machine guns) as opposed to the semiautomatic assault rifles available on the civilian market in the United States.
m.A.g.a. !
octagon
Senior Levergunner

Post by octagon »

Seems any old timer in central Texas knows him and will tell a tale or two. He gave one of my coffee pals a sawed off he'd confiscated from dope heads. His first book "One Ranger" is a great read any Levergunners would like. His trapper is in 30 30 as I recall.
Ray
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ray »

octagon wrote: Thu Sep 26, 2019 6:30 am Seems any old timer in central Texas knows him and will tell a tale or two. He gave one of my coffee pals a sawed off he'd confiscated from dope heads. His first book "One Ranger" is a great read any Levergunners would like. His trapper is in 30 30 as I recall.
used

https://www.thriftbooks.com/w/one-range ... 16389&idiq

new

https://www.amazon.com/One-Ranger-Memoi ... 0292716389
m.A.g.a. !
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Interesting guy, and certainly entitled to his opinions, especially in light of his unique life experience. I thought at first that was Robert Duvall! :lol:
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

TraderVic wrote: Thu Sep 26, 2019 5:02 am Does anyone know what caliber his levergun was?
It was a 30-30.
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

Ranger Jackson is a legend, and well-respected in The Lone-Star state.

That's a good photo.

:)
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Yeah, you can be a really good cop, Texas Ranger, brain surgeon, or whatever, but still have an idiotic opinion on 'assault weapons'. The only people to really respect the opinion of in that area would be people who have knowledge of history AND politics AND firearms combined, and there aren't very many people like that. Stephen Halbrook or Gary Kleck or Don Kates might be exceptions.

I don't necessarily quit respecting people's credibility in the areas they are knowledgeable about just because some journalist elicits a statement that seems to favor 'gun control', but it does point out the obvious fact that people should stick to areas they are actually knowledgeable about, and not allow some journalist to flatter their ego enough to get them to say something about things they know nothing about.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
wm
Senior Levergunner

Post by wm »

Jackson and his trapper 30 WCF is a good example of my view of things combative …… the hardware means a good deal less then the quality of the fighting man wielding the hardware. Anyone here think Jackson with his revolver and trapper is "outgunned" in a fight with a random bad guy with a wonder nine and a AR?

As Clint Smith said (I'm paraphrasing because he has said variations of this so many times) learn to run the gun you got.

Wm
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

The pic reminds me of the Duke

octagon
Senior Levergunner

Post by octagon »

WM heck no the Ranger is not outgunned with a trapper. I recall he toted an AR 10 in the trunk 8)
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

To give some idea about the Texas Rangers, they only take applicants from within the State Police, and there is no need to recruit. It is a job where there may be 100 or more qualified applicants for each single opening. The Rangers take only the best. Some college is required and they are usually at the forefront in using new technology to solve cases. The only case I know of that they never solved was the series of murders in Texarkana which led to the name of The Town That Dreaded Sundown.

Frank Hamer was not a Ranger at the time of his stopping Clyde Barrow and Bonnie Parker. He was Texas Department of Public Safety at the time. He and a bunch of other upstanding Rangers had resigned in protest of Ma Barker's Gubernatorial Policies which put convicted felons in the ranks of the Rangers.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
Sarge
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Sarge »

I don't agree with Jackson's politics but we do see eye to eye on the utility of a good 94 Winchester in certain applications.

People were smarter before the Internet, or imbeciles were harder to notice.