HANDGUN COMPARE AND CONTRAST

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

HANDGUN COMPARE AND CONTRAST

Post by Grizz »

Thanks to Paladin's post I re-explored Randy Garrett's website and the Grizzley ammo offerings at Midway.

I had not seen Garrett's web site for a long time. Very nice to see the TKO and the pressure of his loads printed on the box.

This article from Garrett's site is well written by Ashley Emerson, someone I am not familiar with. It is interesting to me that I have arrived at the precise same POV concerning heavy for caliber slower than "normal" hand gun loads. He has two observations that I have recorded in my experiments and hunting. One is that the slower moving solid bullet will out-penetrate the faster moving bullet, same weight and loading. The other is that the slow-ish heavy for caliber 43 out of my hand gun has the terminal effect of the buffalo guns of the past. And the third thing is that these loads allow a shot through the vitals from any angle. https://www.garrettcartridges.com/44mag45colt.html

This principle also shows up in my 12ga slug loads, the firearm that I can easily transport thru Canada, bless their hearts. It has the same TKO as the 45/70. And is only 'slightly' more cumbersome than a Redhawk.
1894c

Re: HANDGUN COMPARE AND CONTRAST

Post by 1894c »

Good article --thank you posting. He also wrote an article on this forum -- http://www.leverguns.com/articles/thunder_ranch.htm
I think Mr. Emerson was the original owner/developer of XS Sight --

He wrote this in the levergun article, "We also installed a large (.230 inside diameter) aperture, adjustable rear sight (special non-cataloged low profile version) and a front sight with a .050 white stripe on a .100 wide face dovetailed into the barrel. I designed these sights several years ago. They are now available from Express Sight Systems, formerly AO Sights, formerly Ashley Outdoors. (I am no longer involved with the company.)" ... :)
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Re: HANDGUN COMPARE AND CONTRAST

Post by Grizz »

that's really interesting. closest thing I have to an xs sight is on my chinese 870 clone. only difference is there is no white stripe on the front post. I'll try adding that. The aperture sight is just about the same I.D. as the xs, and it still gives me the best sight picture. thanks for the link.