The Marlin 410 has arrived

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
David LaPell
Levergunner

The Marlin 410 has arrived

Post by David LaPell »

My Marlin 410 came in today. The action is slick as snot on a brass doorknob. I can't believe how light the gun is, compared to the newer Marlin 410's that were made on the 1895 and it's got to be a couple pounds lighter than the Henry .410 lever action.
This one had some ivory inlays put in, and since it appears it wasn't an original deluxe version, someone had some very nice checkering added.
The real puzzle remains the button on the bottom of the frame that was added. It screws into the frame, the hole is threaded, but it doesn't appear it does anything. I don't know if there was another part or if it didn't work out as planned. It doesn't seem to affect anything when screwed in all the way. I am curious to know why it was done, but there's probably no way we'll ever know.
I picked up a couple of boxes of Remington 2 1/2" #6 shot to pattern next week, and then I plan on taking it to hunt squirrels as God intended.

piller
Posting leader...

Re: The Marlin 410 has arrived

Post by piller »

I hope you enjoy hunting with it.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

So the button is fixed and doesn't push in as a cartridge stop? Hmm this is a real head scratcher.
Any idea what choke it has ?
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

I wonder what would happen if there was simply a spring in there to keep up with pressure on that carrier. I think all it would do is make none of the cartridges feed. Maybe a fixed-length cylindrical spacer of some sort if just the right length, would allow turning of the button to activate or deactivate the cartridge stop function of the carrier.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Trailboss
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Trailboss »

I wonder if the screw in cup was intended to be for lubrication. Could it be loaded with an oil soaked bit of cotton (1/2 cigarette butt). It's the only thing I can think of.
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Have a similar one, shoots where it looks.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

David LaPell
Levergunner

Post by David LaPell »

GunnyMack wrote: Sat Sep 21, 2019 4:28 pm So the button is fixed and doesn't push in as a cartridge stop? Hmm this is a real head scratcher.
Any idea what choke it has ?
These guns came from the factory with a full choke, as far as I know that's what it still is.
claybob86
Senior Levergunner

Post by claybob86 »

Very nice, ya done good! :mrgreen:
Have you hugged your rifle today?
David LaPell
Levergunner

Post by David LaPell »

I took the gun outside this morning and loaded three rounds in the magazine with this knob screwed in all the way. The gun feeds just fine, smooth as glass actually, and ejects just fine too. If this knob was part of a shell or cartridge stop, there must have been a second part to it like a spring or something that was inside it.
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

I'm thinking it is/was a pintle mount so ya wouldn't have to hold the smoking hot forend during full auto bursts when bunny hunting! :lol:
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

I would love to have it as my squirrel gun....... 8) :mrgreen:
If more men loved and cherished their wives as much as I love bacon the world would be a much better place.