Truck Gun

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
JimT
Shootist

Truck Gun

Post by JimT »

I like to keep a firearm in the truck, but hate to keep an expensive one in it. The single shot shotgun is one option I like. These are found around here for $90 to $125 and and easy to keep running. I cut the barrel to 20" on this one and remounted the bead, It works just great for my uses.
shotgun.JPG
It is an H&R Topper in 20 gauge.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Truck Gun

Post by 2ndovc »

Cool!

I have one just like it. Sent it off with my dad when he sailed from Lake Erie all the way to the Southern Caribbean. I told him if he ever had to use it, chuck it over the side and get the heck outta Dodge! He had it on board for seven years as he wondered from island to island. He thought he may have had to use it once in Dominica, but sailed out in the middle of the night. Not a friendly place. It had a bit of surface rust from the salt water but still works great. He gave it back to me when he got home for good. I put a little note under the butt plate where it had been.

jb :D
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

I can see how it would be useful. Not that I am any sort of expert, but it does appear to be capable of covering several possible needs. Slugs, buckshot, and birdshot all have their purpose. Other than long range, it should be great.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

piller wrote: Sat Sep 21, 2019 1:31 pm I can see how it would be useful. Not that I am any sort of expert, but it does appear to be capable of covering several possible needs. Slugs, buckshot, and birdshot all have their purpose. Other than long range, it should be great.
Yessir ... that about covers it. I have only used it on a sick coon that the dogs treed on the ranch. Worked just fine from about 15 yards. I do carry all loads you mentioned. They fit most all occasions.
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Even if it was only used once, it sounds as if that one time was well worth it. Sick animals such as raccoons could be carrying something that could spread. I don't know about where you are, but we are constantly on the lookout for rabies in my area.
D. Brian Casady
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

piller wrote: Sat Sep 21, 2019 1:38 pm Even if it was only used once, it sounds as if that one time was well worth it. Sick animals such as raccoons could be carrying something that could spread. I don't know about where you are, but we are constantly on the lookout for rabies in my area.
Texas ... about 40 miles or so north of Austin ... on the San Gabriel River.
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Texas for me, too. Just North of Waxahachie.
D. Brian Casady
TraderVic
Levergunner 3.0

Post by TraderVic »

Similar to the trade guns common 2+ centuries ago. Load them with a round ball, or shot (light or heavy).
A common caliber/gauge was 62 cal, which actually equates to a 20 ga. Quite versatile on the frontier.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

For those who live in more urban areas, the great drop in price of the AR-15 'platform' firearms has meant that they can be included in the 'inexpensive truck gun' category now, and their capabilities might be more in line with the needs of urban dwellers in the event of something sudden catastrophic chaos.

I recently built out one of my pistol lowers using one of the Palmetto State Armory kits and I think the total cost in the firearm is $310, so it is approaching the 'truck gun' category.

Never hurts to have something 'on hand' just in case...although what I'd REALLY like to be able to 'just leave in the vehicle' would be my little 357 Levergun - but that is entering the price-point of devastating-if-stolen, so that ain't gonna happen...

So for now, I'm in the same boat - a breakopeq of some sort. Shotgun pretty versatile, but of course another option would be a Handi-Rifle or similar in a 'rifle' or 'pistol' chambering. Perhaps if one's carry gun is a 45 Colt or 44 Mag or 357 mag, a breakopen in that chambering would mean less 'duplicate' ammunition inventory, but still extend 'reach' of likely-to-hit-target shooting.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
fordwannabe
Advanced Levergunner

Post by fordwannabe »

My truck gun alternates between a Marlin 1894 in 44 mag and what was a beater Marlin 336 RC in 35 Remington. My gunsmith cut it back to 18 inches with 2/3 mag, large loop, WWG trigger and extractor, 2-7 Burris and a ammo cuff with 16 extra rounds plus 4 in the mag.
a Pennsylvanian who has been accused of clinging to my religion and my guns......Good assessment skills.
Ray
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ray »

Obviously the term truck gun has diverse meanings.

Many years ago, on this board, the topic was home invasions and i mentioned that I had several heavy sixguns hanging on door nails and old break-action fowling pieces standing in corners here and there to combat that theme. The tactitards here got me down the road with quite severe censures and chastisements.....After all, the FBI says that there are an average of 2.9 assailants per home assault. They said I might as well use them on myself than try to defend the homestead with such antiques.

Then I foolishly mentioned that the sixguns were loaded with lead bullets and the fowling pieces with #7 1/2 fine shot.....

Thought they were going to bring me up on the carpet with charges or something.....
m.A.g.a. !
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

Ray wrote: Sat Sep 21, 2019 8:53 pm Obviously the term truck gun has diverse meanings.

Many years ago, on this board, the topic was home invasions and i mentioned that I had several heavy sixguns hanging on door nails and old break-action fowling pieces standing in corners here and there to combat that theme. The tactitards here got me down the road with quite severe censures and chastisements.....After all, the FBI says that there are an average of 2.9 assailants per home assault. They said I might as well use them on myself than try to defend the homestead with such antiques.

Then I foolishly mentioned that the sixguns were loaded with lead bullets and the fowling pieces with #7 1/2 fine shot.....

Thought they were going to bring me up on the carpet with charges or something.....
Obviously they had never seen Clint Smith at Thunder Ranch use a single shot break open shotgun.
Ray
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ray »

Mister Quinn on birdshot for home defense.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gq3RVvL9ZjU
m.A.g.a. !
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

I typically only carry a truck gun in the large p/u (1-ton) and it's more than likely a Winchester 94 Trapper. The smaller p/u generally just has my EDC pistol in it... (if I am), otherwise nothing!

How times change, back in the mid to late 70's, when I was horseshoein' full time, in my p/u I always had a Winchester 94 carbine residing in a "handy-dandy-ever-ready-heavy-duty" rifle rack in the back window! I ran all over Southern California in that truck, coal forge and racks of horseshoes, anvil, stand & tools making noise in the bed and never got a second look from a cop. Even got stopped once for not signalling a turn, cop looked in bed as he walked up, said, that's a setup you don't see every day, told me what I did wrong, then parted with... "have good day, don't get kicked." I was turning out of a ranch property, as he came up behind me. Never even mentioned the rifle. (I'd been hunting coyotes, and had 3 skins rolled & salted in the bed). Never mentioned them either. Different times, and far different attitudes. Where'd it all go wrong, doubt that'd happen today, ESPECIALLY in CA!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Ray, one of my uncles used to hunt with a Methodist preacher from Turpin, Oklahoma. He said that the preacher used a single shot 16 gauge and could get 2 or more quail out of a covey. Being that quick and accurate, I wouldn't want to be on the receiving end of his shooting. As far as shot spread at short distance, I haven't measured it. Jim's truck gun dues sound as if it covers a lot of needs.
D. Brian Casady
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

You hit the nail on the head Jim. There's nothing like a 20 ga to change the outcome of a situation. I keep several of them around myself.

For those that think bird shot has no place in a self defense situation I can tell you what I did about 15 years ago. We were tearing down a mobile home that we had lived in for 30 years and had seen better days. Before all the demolition was done I figured it would be a good test subject. With 7 1/2 shot in a 20 ga H&R single shot I fired a round at an interior wall made of drywall and studs on a 16" center. I purposely tried to center the impact between two studs. From a distance of aprox. 10' the round I fired went through the drywall facing me and continued thru the next layer of drywall 3.5" later. In the next room another wall made from drywall was aprox 12' away. The shot created a pattern aprox 18" wide into the third layer of drywall. All pellets had penetrated deep enough that you could not see any of the pellets themselves. The wall past the third layer of drywall was exterior T-111 siding and none of the exited that. I'd have to say that anything that exits the barrel of a 20 ga shotgun will definitely alter the original intended outcome.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

I like the idea of a "pistol" AR in either 5.56 or 300BO. Very quick and easy into action.
However, I find what also needs to be quick is the transition from house or vehicle to vehicle. That's why I use this early post 64 Winchester 94 in 30-30. It fits perfect in this shotgun scabbard that breachers use. The molle straps keep ammo and the sling just gets slung over the seat and headrest. Works slick.
"Oh bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round.
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

I've shown this before. "The Perfect Jeep Gun"
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
wm
Senior Levergunner

Post by wm »

+1

I've been thinking about adding a one of those foreign made, light weight folding shotguns to augment the 38 spl that resides full time in my truck.

Wm.
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

This seems made for the job. I have used single shot folding shotguns since I was 13, I can say from experience that they are handy folded on the passenger seat of a Landover.
maxresdefault.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
If more men loved and cherished their wives as much as I love bacon the world would be a much better place.
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

A friend gave me this old Westernfield 12 loaded with buck that i carry along most places, have it on the gulf cart now.

Last edited by Pitchy on Tue Sep 24, 2019 10:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
Because I Can, and Have
-------------------------------------------------------------
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
Disclaimer, not responsible for anyone copying or building anything i make.
Always consult an expert first.
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

That looks like it would repel highway men.... 8)
If more men loved and cherished their wives as much as I love bacon the world would be a much better place.
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

A good 12 gauge, or even a 20 gauge, can be useful for a lot of purposes. I have not tried them on a ballistic gel target, but bird hunting can give you some ideas. I have seen pheasant killed at 60 yards or more by number 6 birdshot. Larger size pellets should carry farther and hit with more energy. I don't want to be shot with any of it.
D. Brian Casady
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Good old Clint Smith: "I need to learn to run the shotgun I've got." 8)
wm
Senior Levergunner

Post by wm »

https://www.sarcoinc.com/content/Issue% ... 201-15.pdf

The firearms mounted in scabbards made me recall something I just saw back in stock at SARCO

Scroll half way down and you will see Jeep scabbards for m-1 Garand (and similar sized long guns) for $60.

Just thinking out loud to myself.

Wm
1894c

Post by 1894c »

no offense to anyone -- but I do not keep a dedicated firearm in any vehicle while unattended, because of the increase of homelessness and the rise car burglaries in my part of the earth (people are always wondering where the homeless get their drug money). But with that said I always go armed everywhere, mostly pistols... :)
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

30-30 wrote: Mon Sep 23, 2019 3:22 pm no offense to anyone -- but I do not keep a dedicated firearm in any vehicle while unattended, because of the increase of homelessness and the rise car burglaries in my part of the earth (people are always wondering where the homeless get their drug money). But with that said I always go armed everywhere, mostly pistols... :)
None taken. I am fortunate enough to never have to park my vehicle in a place where the risk of theft is at all great. One time when I had to leave a handgun in it downtown (going into a 'no-gun' federal building) I removed the slide and slipped it under the hood inside the air cleaner. :?
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

The "Perfect Jeep Gun" only goes into the jeep when I take it out. Not that often these days but hopefully retirement looms.
The "Perfect Pickup Gun" goes in when I take it. Otherwise none of my firearms are left in a vehicle.

Theft from vehicles has risen sharply lately. Seems the homeless and scofflaws have figured out that hitting vehicles in poorer areas won't bring them as much as vehicles in my area.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

30-30 wrote: Mon Sep 23, 2019 3:22 pm no offense to anyone -- but I do not keep a dedicated firearm in any vehicle while unattended, because of the increase of homelessness and the rise car burglaries in my part of the earth (people are always wondering where the homeless get their drug money). But with that said I always go armed everywhere, mostly pistols... :)
No offense taken at all. I understand the situation. Where I am that sort of thing is almost unheard of. And I understand that is getting more rare every day.
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

I am as careful as I can be when in Dallas. They are critically short of Police Officers in Dallas, and they are recruiting from graduates in Puerto Rico. Yes, looking for graduates from a low rated Police Academy that is in a Territory. Plus, the nightlight bright in daylight District Attorney is refusing to prosecute ant thefts worth less than $750. All the stores in Dallas County that are owned by the company I work for are losing money due to theft.

Other places I may leave something in the car when I cannot take it inside with me.
D. Brian Casady
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Yes, I intimated that I think the Dallas County District Attorney is a 4 watt bulb in daylight.
D. Brian Casady
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

It’s not just Dallas. Pretty much every major city won’t prosecute small dollar crimes unless a body is attached. Or as the flustered officer said at the neighborhood watch meeting. “We don’t have time for that”. And here I thought that’s what they are paid for.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

I get antsy about leaving a visible rifle in a vehicle all the time, also. Especially the Jeep, cause it's wide open a good deal of the time. That's why I like the breachers scabbard. I just grab it when I head out the door and have what I need.
It's hard to see in this pic, but there is a coyote colored scabbard horizontal across the rear window opening. The butt of my .357 Rossi is right between the seat and roll bar pad. When I get out I can just draw it out but it's not in the way of any interior space.
"Oh bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round.
mickbr
Levergunner 3.0

Post by mickbr »

its why i always liked a 410, doesn't have anywhere near the punch of 12ga but the 5x000buck load is no slouch. Also you can reach out and fire it one handed. Not the most common use but if you are in a crawlspace or plugging something in a cage or over the side of a boat it can sometimes be handy.
windy
Levergunner

Post by windy »

I've got an old Stevens model 59 bolt-action 410 with a cherry-stained hand-whittled fir stock in my rig--ugliest gun in the great northwet! It'll put three slugs into a 2" group at 60 yards all day, fits me so well I can break 15 out of 25 clays with it at standard trap (I only hit 20 or 21 with my 12 gauge any more, mostly), and with the new slugs, packs enough punch to put down anything up to tweeker-size at any range I might need it to. I'm guessing nobody with the self-respect of a trailhead car-prowler would be caught dead stealing it, it's so ugly, but I keep it out of sight 'cuz it's so useful I'd miss it if it wuz gone. I had a single 20, but it kicked like a mule, it was so light, and my arthritic shoulder wouldn't take the punishment if I shot it as much as I liked.
windy
sonny, whar i growed up, "magnum" wuz another word fer "lousy hunter".
1894c

Post by 1894c »

windy wrote: Wed Sep 25, 2019 8:54 am I'm guessing nobody with the self-respect of a trailhead car-prowler would be caught dead stealing it, it's so ugly
We had an increase in car prowls, especially at trailheads, in my part of the PNW. We are doing extra patrols and telling people not to leave anything of value in their vehicles. Been to a few crime scenes where ugly duct-taped rusted beat-up weapons were used... just saying... :)
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

Over here in the UK if you have a gun stolen from a vehicle you can say goodbye to ALL your firearms.
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

Here, the days of leaving anything of value in your car unattended are gone. I have video of people walking in front of my house just checking door handles. If they get in the tear things up whether they get anything or not. If they see anything of value through the windows they will break in. It's smash and grab so alarms really don't do any good. Even is you provide clear Hi Def images of the thieves to the police they won't do anything. As one officer put it at a meeting "we don't have time". Although I thought that's what they are paid for.

The only vehicle I leave anything in is my work truck. I don't have two hours every morning to put stuff in. But it is inside a locked gate, alarmed, cameras are present and I keep a shotgun loaded.

Apparently the severity of the crime changes if it's unlocked on the street, locked on the street, or inside a fenced area (not sure about locked or unlocked). But it really doesn't matter to the thieves. They know they won't be found, arrested, charged, tried, and convicted much less do any jail time.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

jeepnik wrote: Sat Sep 28, 2019 4:22 pm Here, the days of leaving anything of value in your car unattended are gone. I have video of people walking in front of my house just checking door handles. If they get in the tear things up whether they get anything or not. If they see anything of value through the windows they will break in. It's smash and grab so alarms really don't do any good. Even is you provide clear Hi Def images of the thieves to the police they won't do anything. As one officer put it at a meeting "we don't have time". Although I thought that's what they are paid for.
I am sorry to hear it. We lived like that when we were living in a Third World country ... but that is completely foreign to where we are now. I know that much of the US is like that, and I hate to hear it. I grew up when the entire country was much friendlier and kinder.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Yeah. Think about it - it used to be that if you were caught stealing something you'd pay a pretty severe penalty, and if you did it confrontationally (robbery) you stood a good chance of execution if your victim didn't kill you.

Now we coddle the violent criminals and comparatively over-punish the 'thought crimes', or violations of 'prohibitions'...

Trump really set the Libs off when he made the comment that spies used to be 'handled differently'... :o :lol:

6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

Hmmmm I suppose if I were so inclined I’d get one of the Remington 700 SPS HB’s in 308 with the 16 1/2” threaded barrel , then remove the 308 and put a 243 barrel on it the same contour also at 16 1/2” threaded with a 3-9 or4-12 on top . And if I were so inclined and came across a Parker 12 or 16 that some idiot had cut the barrels below 24” I might put that in as well .
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

JimT wrote: Sat Sep 28, 2019 6:06 pm
jeepnik wrote: Sat Sep 28, 2019 4:22 pm Here, the days of leaving anything of value in your car unattended are gone. I have video of people walking in front of my house just checking door handles. If they get in the tear things up whether they get anything or not. If they see anything of value through the windows they will break in. It's smash and grab so alarms really don't do any good. Even is you provide clear Hi Def images of the thieves to the police they won't do anything. As one officer put it at a meeting "we don't have time". Although I thought that's what they are paid for.
I am sorry to hear it. We lived like that when we were living in a Third World country ... but that is completely foreign to where we are now. I know that much of the US is like that, and I hate to hear it. I grew up when the entire country was much friendlier and kinder.
What you need is a recording of machine gun fire to come blaring out of the car alarm instead of the normal siren wailing that everyone ignores. I've often thought of a stuffed rattlesnake sitting on the seat would be a good deterrent!
As for a truck gun, my Henry 41, Ruger carbine .44 or Benelli with the 7 shot tube installed.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

My truck gun is my Kel-Tec Sub 2K in 40 caliber. I leave it in a diaper bag under some diapers. No dirty ones. So far it has been safe. In a 16 inch barrel the 40 cal is as accurate as I can shoot and fast back on target.
D. Brian Casady
Catshooter
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Catshooter »

Where I live you'll see rifles/shotguns in cars/trucks parked on Main street. In the summer (if it ain't raining) the windows will often be down. I have a friend with a Suburban that he has modified his console to hold three long guns right to hand and he always has three of 'em in there too. At least.

It's very nice to live at the corner of no & where.

Cat
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Cat, need a like button. 8)
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Sounds as if the SoDaks are some good neighbors.
D. Brian Casady