Hmmmm again !

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Hmmmm again !

Post by 6pt-sika »

I've been kinda looking for an older Remington 40X in 222 REM or possibly a Remington 700 BDL Varmint Special also in 222 REM . Happened to see one last weekend on Gunbroker and called the folks and struck up a deal . I called them Monday and paid with CC so hopefully it's on it's way ; FWIW this is the 6th one of these I've owned in 222 and I gotta say every one of them so far would easily shoot under 1/2 MOA with handloads .

The scope on this thing is a Leupold 36x BR with a fine crosshair . Got the whole package for what I sold the last one I had like this and the one before that also if my memory is correct .
pix538531417.jpg
pix493375633.jpg
pix688809732.jpg
pix424836240.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !
piller
Posting leader...

Re: Hmmmm again !

Post by piller »

Looks nice.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

piller wrote: Fri Sep 20, 2019 10:57 pmLooks nice.
Only thing I don't like well besides the marks in the wood is the recoil pad someone added . I'm hoping the pad was just added and no wood removed as the wood behind the monte carlo looks to be about the correct length .

Incidently this gun is coming from a dealer your way , Fort Worth I believe it was :wink:
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

The best 700 I ever owned was one of them :D 8)
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

I’m curiouse to find out whether it has a factory trigger that’s been made into a target trigger or an after market or if the trigger needs an upgrade . But it just so happens I have a Timney sitting here that’s still brand new and can be adjusted down to about 6 ounces .
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

I've been a fan of the 700 family of guns for decades, and the 40x is top of the lineup! I've never played with the .222 caliber, but have a close friend who has about a dozen different rifles in .222 and says it's the best .22 CF cartridge ever designed.
Did you ask them the length of pull to determine if it's been cut or not?
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

marlinman93 wrote: Sat Sep 21, 2019 9:01 am I've been a fan of the 700 family of guns for decades, and the 40x is top of the lineup! I've never played with the .222 caliber, but have a close friend who has about a dozen different rifles in .222 and says it's the best .22 CF cartridge ever designed.
Did you ask them the length of pull to determine if it's been cut or not?
Yes I think they said 14 or 14 1/4 but I doubt they measured correctly . Factory length with buttplate and the white spacer oughtta be around 13 1/2 I think if memory serves . Even though I’ve acquired this Barmint Special I’ll most likely still keep my eyes open for a decent older 40x in 222 and quite possibly a 6x47 . Nothing against the PPC cartridges as I like them but I kinda wanna play with the two benchrest chosen cartridges of many years past . Which might explain why I’ve been watching for deals on 222 Rem Mag Brass for necking up to 6x47 :wink:
Last edited by 6pt-sika on Sat Sep 21, 2019 2:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

I got 1,200 of 52 grain Bart’s Bullets to handload in the other two 222’s I have as well as 1,000 Berger 52’s , a 1,000 no longer made Hornady 52 A-Max and 750 or so Nosler 52 grain Competition . I hope I shoot this thing enough to need a new barrel in ten or so years :wink:
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

I have never had a .222, but everyone who ever had one back where I am from was pleased with theirs. The coyotes didn't like them much due to Kansas paying a bounty on coyote ears back then. Old Wile E. made himself scarce during that time. Those .222s were plenty dangerous if you were a coyote.
D. Brian Casady
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

piller wrote: Sat Sep 21, 2019 3:49 pm I have never had a .222, but everyone who ever had one back where I am from was pleased with theirs. The coyotes didn't like them much due to Kansas paying a bounty on coyote ears back then. Old Wile E. made himself scarce during that time. Those .222s were plenty dangerous if you were a coyote.
The very FIRST centerfire Rifle I ever fired was a Remington 722 in 222 REM my grandfather bought new in 1958 and I just happen to have that rifle in the safe as I type this . Also have what CZ calls their 527 HB in 222 . Over the years I’ve owned a couple other 722’s in 222 and as I mentioned before five others just like the one I have on the way . In my entire life of shooting paper I’ve shot exactly FOUR three shot groups that were under a 1/10” after deducting the bullet diameter . The first was with a Lila barreled Ruger #1 in 22-250 AI that was .054” , the second was a Remington 700 BDL Varmint Special in 222 that was .089” and the other two were in the last year with the CZ 527 HB in 6.5 Grendel both those were .090” . I have no doubt I have several rifles capable of 1/10” three shot groups , just need to do something about the nut on the stock . It’s imperceptible all you need to pull out of s tenth inch group and lord knows I have that ability .
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

You know there are no less then SIX Remington 722’s in 222 REM within 20 miles of me that I’ve had in hand and know for a fact they’ll still shoot sub 1/4 MOA and we’re speaking of guns that were made sixty years ago now !
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

I've always had a love affair for 700's in .22-250 myself. Love the cartridge, and in a 700 I love it even more. A friend got me hooked when he let me shoot his 700 BDL back in the early 70's. I began looking for the same gun immediately and found one lightly used after a few months.
I've never been without a 700 in .22-250 since then. My present one is over a decade old and is a 700VSF from when the used to sell them with the HS Precision Kevlar stocks. Mine is the desert sand, with heavy 26" fluted varmint barrel. Taken a bizillion rodents with it, and about a dozen mule deer also. It's a bit heavy, but it sure groups better than any previous 700 I've owned.
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

marlinman93 wrote: Sun Sep 22, 2019 5:05 pm I've always had a love affair for 700's in .22-250 myself. Love the cartridge, and in a 700 I love it even more. A friend got me hooked when he let me shoot his 700 BDL back in the early 70's. I began looking for the same gun immediately and found one lightly used after a few months.
I've never been without a 700 in .22-250 since then. My present one is over a decade old and is a 700VSF from when the used to sell them with the HS Precision Kevlar stocks. Mine is the desert sand, with heavy 26" fluted varmint barrel. Taken a bizillion rodents with it, and about a dozen mule deer also. It's a bit heavy, but it sure groups better than any previous 700 I've owned.
I bought my first centerfire rifle in 1973 I was 12 years old I had worked all summer stuffing envelopes for the company my mother worked . Initially I was doing it to make money for a Honda CR125 if memory serves they were about $750 then new . When I got up to around $300 dollars saved the folks unbeknownst to me decided to intercede . My father came up one day and tells me he thinks it's about time I got a high powered rifle (what we called centerfire rifles then) . They figured it was easier to keep me from hurting myself with guns over motorcycles . I looked at a couplke used 722's but didn't bite . I ended up going to Clark Brothers in Warrentonb VA and buying 700 BDL in 243 WIN for $174 NIB a Bushnell Scopechief IV 2.5-8x for $40 and a walnut stocked brand new Ruger 10/22 for $59.95 . That pretty much put an end to the motorcycle thing LOL's !

The 22-250 while being an excellent cartridge never did turn my crank like a 220 Swift although I've owned a number of rifles in both chambering . At the moment the only 22 centerfire I have in the class off the 22-250 or Swift is a 22-250 AI on a Ruger #1 action with a stainless Lilja barrel .

I've had a deep desire for several years to build a 224 TTH or 224 Clarke both being nothing more then a 6mm Remington necked down to 22 cal but I've never gone thru with the idea . Since I just finished the 6mm-06 I may in the next year get back on the band wagon for the 224 TTH/Clarke
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

I always thought the .220 Swift wasted a lot of gunpowder with not much better results. Plus a lot of bores were burnt up on .220 Swift rifles.
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

marlinman93 wrote: Sun Sep 22, 2019 9:52 pm I always thought the .220 Swift wasted a lot of gunpowder with not much better results. Plus a lot of bores were burnt up on .220 Swift rifles.
Like any other so called “barrel burner” and I know you’re well aware of this , with a modicum of sense on the shooters part they’re no harder on the barrel then the others that didn’t get that label .
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

Yes, but unfortunately when you download to keep from burning out a barrel they become less impressive. It still takes a lot of powder in the huge .220 Swift case to do the same thing smaller cases do more efficiently. There's a reason the .220 Swift went out of favor, and it wasn't just burning out bores.
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

marlinman93 wrote: Mon Sep 23, 2019 8:28 am Yes, but unfortunately when you download to keep from burning out a barrel they become less impressive. It still takes a lot of powder in the huge .220 Swift case to do the same thing smaller cases do more efficiently. There's a reason the .220 Swift went out of favor, and it wasn't just burning out bores.
I don’t mean download by modicum of sense . I shot several over the years and never downloaded any . By modicum of sense I mean shoot a three or five shoot group clean it let cool and resume . I killed a veritable truckload of groundhogs over the years with Swift’s going in the 3900-3950 range . Also shot ALOT of paper with those loads . The best of the ones I had over the years was a circa 1960 Winchester Model 70 Varmint . Obviously I got it used and lord knows how much it was fired before I got it . I worked up loads in the 3900-3950 range where five shots were 1/2 MOA and then killed a bunch of groundhogs . Later a fellow in Rapid City SD took it off my hands , think he wanted it for prairie dogs .
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

I had a Ruger #1 in 22-250 for a while, never handloaded for it, but shot up a ton of factory ammo with it. Just wasn't impressed with it. I shoulda kept it and bought a set of dies, I'd always heard the cartridge was very capable. The only 22 centerfires I own are ARs.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

Griff wrote: Mon Sep 23, 2019 10:53 am I had a Ruger #1 in 22-250 for a while, never handloaded for it, but shot up a ton of factory ammo with it. Just wasn't impressed with it. I shoulda kept it and bought a set of dies, I'd always heard the cartridge was very capable. The only 22 centerfires I own are ARs.
My Ruger #1 with the Lilja barrel chambered in 22-250 AI shot the smallest three shot group I’ve ever fired , after deduction of the bullet diameter it measured .054” . In my entire lifetime of shooting paper at 100 from the bench I’ve had exactly FOUR groups that were under .1” the one with the Ruger #1 another with a previously owned 700 BDL Varmint in 222 and two last year with a CZ 527 HB in 6.5 Grendel . I am hoping that more will come from several rifles in my accumulation only time will tell .
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

I have a friend who inherited his father's Win. 54 in .220 Swift that is pre WWII manufacture! It's a gorgeous gun still and his father kept it perfect. I saw some of his dad's load data and he loaded the .220 to around 3500-3600 fps, so it could shoot all day and never hurt the barrel. I'd love to own that 54 Win. myself. But I wouldn't care what caliber it was either!
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

I have a friend who inherited his father's Win. 54 in .220 Swift that is pre WWII manufacture! It's a gorgeous gun still and his father kept it perfect. I saw some of his dad's load data and he loaded the .220 to around 3500-3600 fps, so it could shoot all day and never hurt the barrel. I'd love to own that 54 Win. myself. But I wouldn't care what caliber it was either!
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Most firearms last a long time when not pushed to the upper limit of their power level. For example, the Model 19 could handle .357 Magnum loads, but it was at a cost to longevity. Loads in the .38 Special +P level can be fired in one for a very high round count without evidence of damage. I would bet that the .220 Swift is much the same. A slight decrease in power and thus velocity would probably still give well over 3,000 fps while putting the barrel burner reputation to rest. Why, if a .30-30 would be put in a stronger action and fired with more pressure and a hotter powder than it is currently safe with, it would probably wear out a barrel much faster than what is currently seen. Just my ideas based on my experience and what knowledge of metallurgy that I have.
D. Brian Casady
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

Got to messing with the new 222 Friday . Put a new Timney 6 ounce to 3 pound trigger in and after getting the stock back etc it was very rough and binding . Come to find out someone had messed with the firing pin assembly . So I ordered a new one from Numrich today and yesterday I ordered a Shilen 2-6 ounce competition trigger from Midway . Hopefully I’ll have this thing at a point that suits me sometime next week !
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

Got a decent used firing pin assembly from Numrich the other day and tried it in the bolt of the 222 with great success. After that I had the Shilen competition 3-6 ounce trigger installed . Think it’s at 4 ounces now !!!!! I like that :wink: