Winchester M100/M1895 questions

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Stevie
Levergunner 2.0

Winchester M100/M1895 questions

Post by Stevie »

I looked at a couple interesting Winchester rifles yesterday a guy was looking to sell from his uncles estate....

He didn't have them priced too cheap for sure but may allow some wiggle room.

The M100 semi-auto is a .308 standard rifle with impressed checkering and looked about 90-95% condition. I know these had some recalls on the firing-pin and some other reported issues such as broken op-rods, feed and ejection issues...doubling or even full-auto problems(from internetz research). Are these worth owning?...it sure as a sweet looking rifle!

The M1895 Winchester...has been re-blued...cannot read the caliber on the barrel....typical sporting Winchester configuration with Schnable forearm...peep sight...as mentioned reblued. I can read the markings on the receiver easily enough...however the barrel just doesn't look right. Nobody in the family has any idea what the chambering is. I suspect it's been re-barreled but couldn't say for sure. Does appear to be a .30 caliber or close...but that leaves .30-40, .30-03, .30-06, .303 British, 7.62x54R Russian or who knows what if it's been re-barreled.

I thought the barrel knox-form looked odd...not the typical smoothly tapered and contoured type barrel I'm used to seeing...this barrel had a bit of a smooth step sort of like a Mauser commercial sporter barrel. Does have some markings but they are impossible to read with the naked eye. Could be the original barrel too...I'm not all that familiar with old Winchester 1895 rifles. Any ideas how to determine if the barrel may be original to the rifle?

Thanx Stevie
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Re: Winchester M100/M1895 questions

Post by gamekeeper »

Sorry I can't help but I'm sure someone will be along shortly.
If more men loved and cherished their wives as much as I love bacon the world would be a much better place.
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

Maybe this new book will answer some of your questions.
PnBfXFvl.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
If more men loved and cherished their wives as much as I love bacon the world would be a much better place.
fordwannabe
Advanced Levergunner

Post by fordwannabe »

I would ask the seller for his own good, to have the chamber cast. It is a very small fee from any good Gunny and the peace of mind priceless. Being able to tell whoever buys it, exactly what caliber it is, would be worth the cost to me. What if he sells it and somebody believes it to be XX caliber and loads a round of that and ends up blind because it was YY caliber. I am not saying he would be criminally liable. I am sayin I would hate to try to sleep that night, if I sold it to him. My OPINION only.
As to the gun itself. If it looks good overall and the price is reasonable you can have it rebored or the barrel replaced easily enough. As to is the barrel original...pics are the only way to tell.
Good luck
a Pennsylvanian who has been accused of clinging to my religion and my guns......Good assessment skills.
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

Stevie wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2019 10:04 am
The M100 semi-auto is a .308 standard rifle with impressed checkering and looked about 90-95% condition.
I know these had some recalls on the firing-pin

[ It needs to be checked for the firing pin recall work, Upon completion of the recall, the shops that Winchester had perform the recall were to test fire the firearm and to stamp an assigned letter on the inside top of the receiver as seen thru the magazine well with the bolt retracted.
The letter “B” represented Bolsa Gunsmithing, “L” was Lefever, and “N” was for Nu-line Guns.
The letter “X” apparently was for all the other independent shops. However this identification information did not get communicated to some of the smaller shops at the start of the project.
The only way to tell if the gun as been modified, if the ”letter” is not present, is to take the barrel & action out of the stock, remove the trigger guard assembly and the try to rotate the firing pin by twisting it.
If it does NOT rotate, then the firing pin recall HAS been performed.]
]

The M1895 Winchester...has been re-blued...cannot read the caliber on the barrel....typical sporting Winchester configuration with Schnable forearm...peep sight...as mentioned reblued.
I can read the markings on the receiver easily enough...however the barrel just doesn't look right.
I thought the barrel knox-form looked odd...not the typical smoothly tapered and contoured type barrel I'm used to seeing...this barrel had a bit of a smooth step sort of like a Mauser commercial sporter barrel.

Any ideas how to determine if the barrel may be original to the rifle?

[Winchester Model 1895's were only issued with round barrels]

I hope that will help you.