Browning 71 Carbine

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
David LaPell
Levergunner

Browning 71 Carbine

Post by David LaPell »

I have always wanted a Model 71 for as long as I can recall. I have seen a few Winchester Model 71's over the years, most have been well out of my price range. A few months back, a guy brought an entire collection of Model 71's into a local gun shop. He had two Winchester 71 deluxe rifles and three Browning 71's in, all of the Brownings were new in the box. The guy was in his 70's and whittling his collection down, and back when the Browning 71's came out in 1986, he bought each of his three sons a Browning 71, none of them wanted the guns, so he kept them. I was there and saw the last Browning, this one a carbine, so I bought it, much cheaper than the Winchesters, so I got it.
One thing I found is that the .348 Winchester is a little stout, the recoil isn't so much in the shoulder, but the narrowness of the comb of the stock was like getting smacked in the face when shooting from the bench, even with a leather cartridge cuff it doesn't help much. So that, and the cost of the ammo, I have gotten into handloading for it, these with 200 grain cast bullets from Montana Bullet Works and a mild charge of IMR-4895.
Now the gun is more pleasant to shoot, still not something you want to shoot all day long, but sure enough for whitetail. I just ordered a Williams receiver sight for it and hopefully that will tighten the groups up more.
I took it out with the handloads, the bison target is at 50 yards, the regular target at 25 yards.

TraderVic
Levergunner 3.0

Re: Browning 71 Carbine

Post by TraderVic »

Nice rifle for sure. Glad to hear you've taken up reloading. I enjoy developing loads and it opens so many doors for shooting your gun(s) more.
Aperture sites will/should tighten your groups up considerably. I have a Williams peep sight on my Marlin 30-30 CB and can still shoot it very accurately in spite of my aging eyes.
Best wishes with your new rifle.
Regards, Vic.
M. M. Wright
Advanced Levergunner

Post by M. M. Wright »

Sweet!
M. M. Wright, Sheriff, Green county Arkansas (1860)
Currently living my eternal life.
NRA Life
SASS
ITSASS
Bronco
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Bronco »

Soooo Kewl :mrgreen:
Gettin old ain't for sissies!
There just has to be dogs in heaven !
earlmck
Advanced Levergunner

Post by earlmck »

Fine looking rifle. And very nice pictures David. Good job all around!
The greatest patriot...
is he who heals the most gullies.
Patrick Henry
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

The nice thing, among the rifles you were choosing from, is that none of them had any extraneous lawyer safeties.

Well done ! :)

BigSky56
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BigSky56 »

For years my elk load was a 200gr hornady FN it was hurried along by 53gr of imr 4895 for 2450 fps from a 24" bl out of a B71, that load would hold <1" at 100 yds. Load is from lymans #45 and is listed as a accuracy load. For the last few years I have been using a 245gr beartooth fngc pushed with reloder17. danny