Makrov

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
wm
Senior Levergunner

Makrov

Post by wm »

I've been trolling the GunBroker website for this and that and it occurred to me (after a buddy asked me to keep an eye open for one) that one of the guns that was inexpensive and kind of seen as almost disposable back in the 1990s because they were so heavily imported was the 9mm Makarov. Cheap ammo was plentiful too back in the day.

But the surplus ammo has dried up and the Makarovs have mostly disappeared from the market. But what surprises me is how the used Makarovs have retained their value. You just don't seem to see them for sale. Guys who have them like them and hold onto them.

Just an observation …… no real point.

Wm
Last edited by wm on Tue Sep 17, 2019 8:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
piller
Posting leader...

Re: Makrov

Post by piller »

I have never shot one, so I am of no help. Maybe they were reliable and comfortable to shoot. Just guessing.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
Ray
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ray »

Yes they are quite rare now but I gave $100 for one (bulgarian) in 1999.

No mid-sized self loader points as well to me as the makarov. The rather narrow sight picture that get many complaints actually help with longer range shots.

There is plenty of ammo......the tula ruskie stuff is 18 cents per shot !
m.A.g.a. !
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

I'm with Ray on the sights. They are way too tiny for my 66-year-old eyes. But the Mak is nothing to sneeze at and I think Hornady still makes some very fine defense ammo. A Ruger LCP in 9Mak would be an eye-opener.
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

The East German pistols are the best of the bunch, (my opinion). I replaced mine about a year ago for $300. Just happened to be in the right place at the right time.
the Russian military issue pistols can get a bit pricey but shoot well. The rest aren't bad but be very cautious of the Polish version/ P-64s. Worst awful pistol I've ever had. Trigger took two fingers to get it to fire and then it would feed about two rounds at a time. I couldn't get rid of that one fast enough.

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
wolfdog
Levergunner 3.0

Post by wolfdog »

I like the 9mm Mak! I have had Russian and Bulgarian and the similar but not the same Pa 64, but my favorite is the Pa63 aluminum framed one. Easy to carry and maintain, accurate and depenable and a considerable step up in power from the 380. I have placed in top 3 shooting my current one in several small caliber action pistol shoots we have at the local club. I would really like to get a cz83 but have just never got around to it.
Ray
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ray »

m.A.g.a. !
Stevie
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Stevie »

I've owned a couple Russian IJ-70 Maks in 9x18mm....could buy them for a $100 or less new in the early 1990's.

Ammo is fairly easy to get now...but at that time it was mostly Chinese or eastern block surplus ammo if you could find it at all.

First time I shot a Makarov was with some raunchy Chinese surplus ammo in a new Russian pistol....the Russian pistol would run on the Chinese ammo, however the ammo was so feeble the bullets would either stick in 1/4" plywood back board or bounce off!!!....with better ammunition you have a reasonably potent pocket pistol

I still have a Russian IJ-70 Makarov...don't shoot it much anymore but they are really pretty decent little pistols.
stretch
Advanced Levergunner

Post by stretch »

My experience is that they're as reliable as a rock, amazingly accurate for what they are, convenient to carry,
and easy to field strip. Ammo is cheap. I've got dies and components, but have yet to load for the round.
Too many other projects......

I think they're a bit under powered though - .380ACP-ish power.

I once shot a a silhouette match with one. Didn't win - but didn't
finish last, either! :lol:

With a pocket holster, it fits perfectly in the pocket of a Carhartt vest.

East German guns are said to be the best, but my Russki is fine.

-Stretch
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Just got back from Academy Sports and Outdoors. They had 9mm Makarov ammo in stock.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost