New Leveraction Yellow Boy, 45 Colt

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Lastmohecken
Senior Levergunner

New Leveraction Yellow Boy, 45 Colt

Post by Lastmohecken »

Maybe I will get a picture posted later. I bought a used but very slick, Uberti 66 Yellow Boy. It was imported by Tri-Star. I got to shoot it, a couple of months ago, before I bought it. So, I knew it shot to point of am with the crude carbine sights. It has a 16" light contour round barrel, no saddle ring, and straight grip. It has a very smooth action, no surprise there.

Anyway, it shoots a lot better then it ought to, with the carbine iron sights and my older eyes. Looking forward to trying some handloads. I hope it will feed semi-wad cutters, but I have always read that the 66/73 action needs round nose ammo, although my Uberti 73, .357 mag handles hollowpoints very well. We will see.
I would love to be able to shoot 200 or maybe 255 gr lead semi-wad cutters out of it. If not I will try some tapered flat point, cast lead bullets. I believe those would have to work fine, but I like to shoot the semi-wad cutters in my 45 colt pistols. It would be nice it I could use that load in both. Of course I won't be hot rodding it, as I am well aware of the toggle link action strength, vs. more modern actions, like the 92, or 94. I have other guns for that.
NRA Life Member, Patron
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Re: New Leveraction Yellow Boy, 45 Colt

Post by gamekeeper »

I had a Uberti Yellow boy in.22 magnum, the only thing I couldn't get on with was the carbine sights. My old eyes just weren't sharp enough to get a good sight picture unless it was a bright sunny day, the carbine however was very accurate on such days. I could have put a tang sight on it but I traded it off instead.. :(
If more men loved and cherished their wives as much as I love bacon the world would be a much better place.
COSteve
Advanced Levergunner

Post by COSteve »

Done
Last edited by COSteve on Thu Dec 17, 2020 5:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Steve
Retired and Living the Good Life
No Matter Where You Go, There You Are
Lastmohecken
Senior Levergunner

Post by Lastmohecken »

COSteve wrote: Sat Sep 14, 2019 7:43 am I've had a 19" Yellowboy carbine in 45 Colt I got NIB back in Jan 2014 as well. It's a lot of fun to shoot standard pressure loads. I've found that X-Treme's plated 255grn bullets with a tapered cone, flat point type nose, feed better than an Elmer Keith style I use in my SA Army pistol as they have a smooth body without a shoulder to hang up on the chamber. The semi wadcutter design also has a shoulder and may hang up as well.

At 72, I really like the sights on it as down it's good at 100yds, and flipped up you can pick from 200, 300, or 400yd aim point by using the notch in the bottom of the oval, the center of the oval, or the notch at the top.

That's the exact same rifle I have, I am pretty sure.
NRA Life Member, Patron
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

When I bought the Yellow boy I thought those carbine sights were simple and and easy to use but in woodland and on dull days ( more common in the UK) I struggled with them, the gun was well made and a lot of fun although a bit heavy in .22 magnum but It shot tighter groups than my 9422M when the sun came out. :D
I used to have a Uberti 73 in .22lr the sights on that were no problem, I was shooting rabbits at 100 yds wish I'd kept that one :oops:
If more men loved and cherished their wives as much as I love bacon the world would be a much better place.
barbarossa
Senior Levergunner

Post by barbarossa »

I have one of the sporting riflesin 22mag.Like what has been said it s a little heavy in that cal but it is still a fun gun to take out hunting
Sarge
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Sarge »

I love those 19" Model 66s and never tire of looking at them.
People were smarter before the Internet, or imbeciles were harder to notice.
Lastmohecken
Senior Levergunner

Post by Lastmohecken »

YELLOW BOY 66.jpg
Hope I did this right. Here's a picture I took today of my Yellow Boy. I didn't have a lot if time but I shot it a few rounds at about a hundred yards, at IDPA Steel Gong I have hanging. I wasn't very steady and was having a little trouble seeing the sights. Just playing around, and figured out that if I flipped the rear sight up and sighted with the top of the front sight in the bottom of that little V located in the bottom of the circle (hole in the rear sight when flipped up) and held at the bottom of my IDPA Gong, it would place the bullets dead center.

I need to play around with it some more, it's a good smooth working shooter, limited by the crude sighting arrangement. I always loved the way they looked. One thing I really like about it is its low (quite report). It's very very easy on the ears. Which I really like for just goofing off and tooling around on the farm, where I often find out, I have forgotten my ear protection.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
NRA Life Member, Patron
COSteve
Advanced Levergunner

Post by COSteve »

Done
Last edited by COSteve on Thu Dec 17, 2020 5:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Steve
Retired and Living the Good Life
No Matter Where You Go, There You Are
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Congrats, Last. Those Ubertis really do run like butter.
Lastmohecken
Senior Levergunner

Post by Lastmohecken »

I shot it some more this afternoon at reactionary steel at about a 100rd yards, then moved up to about 75 yards. I was shoot some Remington target round nose lead factory rounds, that came with the gun. I can tell the gun is fairly accurate for what it is, but I am struggling with the sights. I can shoot it pretty good, when I flip it up, and sight thru the hole, but it shoots high of course at the ranges I am shooting. Surprisingly, I can hold low and make pretty good hits, but with the rear sight
laid down, I have a very hard time aligning the sights, with the glare of the sun and my older eyes.

I am tempted to do a little judicious file work on the sights, which I know would make it easier to hit with, but I hate to file them, because of cosmetic reasons.
NRA Life Member, Patron
Malamute
Member Emeritus

Post by Malamute »

You could try some paint or fingernail polish. Ive gone to a super bright orange nail polish with white base coat on all my front sights, pistol or rifle. If they get chipped over time or you dont like it, a paper towel or rag with some acetone takes it right off. Go peruse the fingernail polish department at wal mart or your local drug store. The number of colors is hard to grasp. The orange I settled on is by Salon Perfect, its their "Traffic Cone" color thats the really bright orange. The white undercoat brightens it up. I walk every evening with a lever carbine on skunk patrol. Even when iron sights are entirely invisible the orange really stands out. You could try a white line across the top of the rear sight or a vertical line below the notch to see if it helps visibility.

The acetone or nail polish remover is right by the nail polish. I de-grease with it before putting the colored polish on.
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-

Isnt it amazing how many people post without reading the thread?
Lastmohecken
Senior Levergunner

Post by Lastmohecken »

Malamute wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2019 6:36 pm You could try some paint or fingernail polish. Ive gone to a super bright orange nail polish with white base coat on all my front sights, pistol or rifle. If they get chipped over time or you dont like it, a paper towel or rag with some acetone takes it right off. Go peruse the fingernail polish department at wal mart or your local drug store. The number of colors is hard to grasp. The orange I settled on is by Salon Perfect, its their "Traffic Cone" color thats the really bright orange. The white undercoat brightens it up. I walk every evening with a lever carbine on skunk patrol. Even when iron sights are entirely invisible the orange really stands out. You could try a white line across the top of the rear sight or a vertical line below the notch to see if it helps visibility.

The acetone or nail polish remover is right by the nail polish. I de-grease with it before putting the colored polish on.
That's a good idea. I might try it. I swapped out the rear sight tonight for a Marble's short shank, semi-buck horn with white diamond insert. I found it in my collection of pull off sights. I don't have a clue where it came from, but the white insert had already been turned backwards. I had to mount it reversed like some of the cowboy action shooters do, because the dovetail is too far to the rear. It looks pretty good and gives a better sight picture, with some elevation adjustment, also. Haven't shot it yet, though, that will be the test.
NRA Life Member, Patron