Marlin .410 with an interesting feature

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
David LaPell
Levergunner

Marlin .410 with an interesting feature

Post by David LaPell »

Well, I did it again. I was looking for a .410 shotgun for small game hunting, and every shop I went to didn't have anything I wanted or fit me, so I looked around online at places I had bought from before, and found an original Marlin .410 lever action shotgun. This one being a deluxe model, however it seems to have an interesting feature I've never seen on one before. It looks as though someone added a button to the bottom of the frame, and I am wondering if it's maybe a magazine cut off. Someone had taken the time once to add ivory inlays to the already deluxe version and I am wondering if that's when they added this. I got the gun at a shooter price so it could be an interesting modification. I included photos of two other Marlin .410's to show what they look like normally. Anyone else ever run across something like this? I am still waiting on the gun to get here to see for sure, but it was professionally done from appearances and a long time ago from the wear on the gun.

Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Marlin .410 with an interesting feature

Post by Nath »

Looks fantastic. 8)
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
claybob86
Senior Levergunner

Post by claybob86 »

That's elegant! 8)
Have you hugged your rifle today?
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

Nice snag !

In the pic of a normal Marlin, the button (?) is located in the same location of the square hole in the bottom metal where the downward-extending cartridge stop finger (underside of the lifter's fwd tip) stick through the metal to avoid having to use a thicker (top to bottom) receiver that would allow the stop finger to remain totally internal.

Sooooo, could that "button" actually be a solution to prevent foreign material from entering the action ?

Does the button actuate (move in/out), or is it solidly mounted ?

If it does move, what does it work on/against ?

Rimfire McNutjob
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rimfire McNutjob »

That's a great find.
... I love poetry, long walks on the beach, and poking dead things with a stick.
fordwannabe
Advanced Levergunner

Post by fordwannabe »

I can’t believe you would even contemplate shooting something like that! I am ashamed of you. JUST because I like you, if you send it to me I will get rid of it for you.That way there is no evidence of your indiscretions.
a Pennsylvanian who has been accused of clinging to my religion and my guns......Good assessment skills.
hfcable
Advanced Levergunner

Post by hfcable »

I have never seen a deluxe model in real life....that is a great find. I have two standard models and really love them. I have looked at a lot of these and never seen anything like that button.

they make great small game hunting guns.....have shot a lot of grouse and some squirrels with mine. you will really enjoy that

congratulations !
cable
bikerbeans
Levergunner 1.0

Post by bikerbeans »

That button if depressed should raise the front of the carrier. As the OP stated it could function as a cartridge interrupter to allow ejection of a round without loading the next from the mag. A handy feature if a buck walks by while you are hunting tree rats.

BB
jdad
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jdad »

Nice shotgun, but the Deluxe 410 did not have a fluted forearm and the checkering pattern was the "double diamond" style.

The checkering is nicely done though. Enjoy it! Nice find!
I know a whole lot about very little and nothing about a whole lot.