Nothing special, 200yds.

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Nothing special, 200yds.

Post by Nath »

When I was younger I would think nothing of lobbing a 22 to 200yds so last weekend whilst the wind was not I set up an old 6"X10" chopping board ( don't tell the Mrs).
I got ten on the board out of thirty, some, about 8-10 were spotters for elevation after two turns up on the turret.
Off hand too.
IMG_20190908_161245.jpg.3f2ed408397111808d1cd2e05ccbb0cf.jpg
The thing is, it darn well wore me out! Sweating and breathing heavy! :?

N.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Nothing special, 200yds.

Post by GunnyMack »

Believe it or not when I lived in Colorado, 6,025 'elevation (at the airport) all of us kept our .22s sighted in at 100 yards. We would have a grand time thumping prairie dogs from up close to 200. You really learned windage!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

We used to have great fun out at the dump in 29 Palms.

We'd set up targets out at 100yds and then some, and then have a tailgate BBQ while we were plinking with our .22's.

Good times.

:mrgreen:
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Nath, you were sure getting some work done on that upper right corner. Did you 'splain to the missus that now she has a flat sieve?
:lol:
Jay Bird

Post by Jay Bird »

Offhand with a hunting rifle......your doing something. :D With a .22 the biggest obstacle is wind. A decent hunting rifle in .22 should do 2-3" at 100 and maybe 5 at 200......off the bench with sandbags on a windless day. A good target 22 will half that with target ammo.

We have a monthly competition for .22's out to 200 meters and the 200 meter rams are about 4" x 2", excluding legs.

Some clubs are doing 300 meter contests with .22's.....you had better know how to read wind at that range.---6
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

Bill in Oregon wrote: Tue Sep 10, 2019 2:35 pm Nath, you were sure getting some work done on that upper right corner. Did you 'splain to the missus that now she has a flat sieve?

Thanks feller's.
N.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

When I used to shoot on a military range we took in in turns to mark the targets, at 200 m we had quite a job telling when the target we were marking was hit with a .22lr but hit they were. Often three shooters would use one target so you might be watching for .303 maybe a .577 muzzle loader and occasionally a .22lr. Those little.22s sure were hard to spot even though the target was right in front of us...good fun all the same. :wink:
Good job on the chopping board Nath... :D
3660632717_1ebf9da377_b.jpg
TARGET BUTTS AT BISLEY.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
If more men loved and cherished their wives as much as I love bacon the world would be a much better place.
COSteve
Advanced Levergunner

Done

Post by COSteve »

Done
Last edited by COSteve on Sat Jan 16, 2021 7:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Steve
Retired and Living the Good Life
No Matter Where You Go, There You Are
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Years ago I read about a match with 45-70's at ranges starting at 500 yards and progressing to 1,000 yards, where of course the targets were huge, but the challenge great, and fun even greater.

Of course the 7mm Rem Mag folks using 40 power scopes can do that all day long, but these were dudes using tang or vernier sighted single-shot 45-70's for the most part, or an occasional Marlin Cowboy 45-70.

I don't have a way to shoot 1,000 yards, but when I saw an add for a 'miniature' falling-block rifle in 375 Winchester and 22 Hornet, I thought "Hey, you could do that 1,000 yard thing at a shorter range using these smaller cartridges", and thought it would be fun to have a 22 LR, or 22 Hornet, or 32-20, or any number of other rifles, set up to replicate the tang/vernier sighted guns and used out to 300-500 yards, or so.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

lucky lager cans with the red X, any where I could see it I could hit it with a nylon 66. well, almost, most of the time . . . :lol: never got tired of that tho