M1A

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: Hobie, AmBraCol

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Blaine
Posting leader...

M1A

#1 Post by Blaine » Thu Sep 05, 2019 8:43 pm

In the quest to ban guns, suddenly there are suggestions that a barrel shroud make it more deadly.
I'm toying with the idea of an M1A, and wondered if it has a "shroud" or, if it's considered a part of a long stock, which seems to be allowed. In this pic, it doesn't even look like walnut like the rest of the stock. Click on pic for a better look.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
8) 8) 8) 8) 8)

Blaine
Posting leader...

Re: M1A

#2 Post by Blaine » Thu Sep 05, 2019 9:34 pm

Grrrrr....I just found out that the top piece is a cheesy, plastic cover. That's disturbing. AND, BS. :evil: :evil:
So, never mind....this one is off the list.
I still have a wonderful first year issue Ruger Gun Site Scout Rifle. A battle rifle does not have to be a semi-auto.
8) 8) 8) 8) 8)

AJMD429
Posting leader...

#3 Post by AJMD429 » Thu Sep 05, 2019 10:09 pm

I replaced the fiberglass cover with an aluminum one with rails, not that I put anything on the rails, but I just liked the aluminum better than brown fiberglass.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "

765x53
Levergunner 3.0

#4 Post by 765x53 » Thu Sep 05, 2019 10:31 pm

The M14's we qualified with in basic all had fiberglass hand guards.

Blaine
Posting leader...

#5 Post by Blaine » Thu Sep 05, 2019 10:33 pm

I had my heart set on a walnut stock....not walnut and plastic. There are real nice EBRs for .308 if I wanted plastic :lol:
8) 8) 8) 8) 8)

Ray
Senior Levergunner

#6 Post by Ray » Thu Sep 05, 2019 10:59 pm

Same with ruger minis 14 & 30.....
m.A.g.a. !

OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

#7 Post by OldWin » Thu Sep 05, 2019 11:24 pm

The M14 was designed as such from the beginning.
A wood handguard could be set on fire with sustained automatic firing. The first fiberglass handguard was slotted, but heat waves interrupted the sight picture, so the solid version was introduced.
I'd wager more wood stocks were broken than the handguards were.
That is why, eventually, they went to a synthetic stock also. I actually prefer that stock to all others.
As Doc mentioned, the Ultimak handguard is an excellent addition to any M1A.
"Oh Bother!" said Pooh, as he chambered another round.

COSteve
Advanced Levergunner

#8 Post by COSteve » Fri Sep 06, 2019 12:03 am

OldWin wrote:
Thu Sep 05, 2019 11:24 pm
The M14 was designed as such from the beginning.
A wood handguard could be set on fire with sustained automatic firing. The first fiberglass handguard was slotted, but heat waves interrupted the sight picture, so the solid version was introduced.
I'd wager more wood stocks were broken than the handguards were.
That is why, eventually, they went to a synthetic stock also. I actually prefer that stock to all others.
As Doc mentioned, the Ultimak handguard is an excellent addition to any M1A.
For a time in the Army, I was the company Armorer (to help out a shortage of personel) and all 350 M14s I maintained had the fiberglass handguard exactly like the one pictured above. No, it's not a barrel shroud but a handguard.
Steve

Noli nothis permittere te terere
“Remember, no matter where you go, there you are.” - Confucius
"When you find a find a big kettle of crazy, it's best not to stir it." - Dilbert

2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

#9 Post by 2ndovc » Fri Sep 06, 2019 1:56 am

There are aftermarket wooden handguards out there, but the fiberglass really isn't flimsy. I like my AR's but if I'm going to have to defend the homestead, it's going to be one of my Springfield's.

I had a National Match and a SOCOM 16 that I really liked but they got caught up in the Purge. I'd shot at Camp Perry with the NM a couple of times. Had a blast. The new one with the stainless barrel is just as accurate, and I love the grain in the walnut.

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"

fordwannabe
Advanced Levergunner

#10 Post by fordwannabe » Fri Sep 06, 2019 8:03 am

I have a walnut, birch, synthetic, and my favorite an original E2 for mine. All share a fiberglass handguard.
a Pennsylvanian who has been accused of clinging to my religion and my guns......Good assessment skills.

jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

#11 Post by jeepnik » Fri Sep 06, 2019 1:13 pm

Scout Squad with synthetic stock. My go to. So, I guess I do have a "plastic" rifle as my main battle rifle.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferrably in the dark"
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it"

Blaine
Posting leader...

#12 Post by Blaine » Fri Sep 06, 2019 1:19 pm

Ok, Ok....I'm properly chastised. :lol: 8)
The main point, aside from my personal preferences, was that a barrel shroud is very likely to get this fine rifle banned in future, supposedly because it protects the hands from being burned, hence, makes it easier to use in a mass shooting....Where in the world is this country headed?? :( :( :evil: :evil:
8) 8) 8) 8) 8)

GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

#13 Post by GunnyMack » Fri Sep 06, 2019 1:20 pm

I had an M1A, dont remember its pedigree. Of course it got an accurize job, one of my instructors was an Army armorer and a sniper in Nam. Showed it to a guy during summer classes and he had to have it! He handed me a Browning Medalist 22 pistol that was gorgeous and I traded him. I traded that off for a Remington 700 and made a couple bucks. I think I had 300 in the M1A?
There is only one Earth. Do it a favor? GET OFF.

jnyork
Advanced Levergunner

#14 Post by jnyork » Fri Sep 06, 2019 1:24 pm

Blaine wrote:
Thu Sep 05, 2019 9:34 pm
Grrrrr....I just found out that the top piece is a cheesy, plastic cover. That's disturbing. AND, BS. :evil: :evil:
So, never mind....this one is off the list.
I still have a wonderful first year issue Ruger Gun Site Scout Rifle. A battle rifle does not have to be a semi-auto.
Blaine, Blaine, Blaine. Get a grip on yourself, man. :D

Those are NOT cheesy plastic covers, they are very strong fiberglass HANDGUARDS probably stronger than wood, that's the way they were made, and made that way for a purpose. I would LOVE to have an M1A with the fiberglass HANDGUARD, which is NOT a shroud.

Griff
Posting leader...

#15 Post by Griff » Fri Sep 06, 2019 1:54 pm

M-1... All wood, class all the way!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!

2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

#16 Post by 2ndovc » Fri Sep 06, 2019 4:31 pm

Blaine wrote:
Fri Sep 06, 2019 1:19 pm
Ok, Ok....I'm properly chastised. :lol: 8)
The main point, aside from my personal preferences, was that a barrel shroud is very likely to get this fine rifle banned in future, supposedly because it protects the hands from being burned, hence, makes it easier to use in a mass shooting....Where in the world is this country headed?? :( :( :evil: :evil:
I've had or have them all. AK's, ARs. M1 Garand & Carbines, SVT-40, SKS, Sig 556 and an MPX, FAL's and G3s to name a few. I still have several of those as collector pieces and I love my Colt ARs and Sig MPX, but the best of the bunch are still the M1A's. They are well made and very accurate. If you really want to spend some $ get one of the Fulton Armory M14s or really go crazy and buy an FN SCAR. But, for repelling borders or zapping Zombies, it's really hard to beat a standard model Springfield M1A.

jb 8)

M. M. Wright
Advanced Levergunner

#17 Post by M. M. Wright » Sat Sep 07, 2019 5:43 pm

Sometime in 62 we were issued M-14s with wood hand guards. During our first trip to the range, everyone's rifle was smoking, no full auto. We got our carbines back. I don't see why you don't get that with Garands. But then they should have chosen FALS like the rest of the free world. JMO!
M. M. Wright, Sheriff, Green county Arkansas (1860)
Currently living my eternal life.
NRA Life
SASS
ITSASS

jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

#18 Post by jeepnik » Sat Sep 07, 2019 5:59 pm

I've never warmed up to the FAL. The M-14 has a much more eye pleasing form. The FAL just seems too angular with stuff sticking out.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferrably in the dark"
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it"

OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

#19 Post by OldWin » Sun Sep 08, 2019 7:05 am

My son has an FAL. It's nice, but I can't warm up to it like the M1A. I find the M1A a much more natural pointer and easier to shoot.

Bronco
Levergunner 3.0

#20 Post by Bronco » Sun Sep 08, 2019 8:18 am

Howdy All ,
I competed for about 15 years in the service rifle category with an M1A. It is on its 6th barrel, put about 5K rounds a year through it. The barrels would have been good still for average shooting but I was in a points race :wink: ! I have an AR, a Garand among other stuff. The AR is more accurate, the Garand almost as accurate, as the M1A, after I worked it over. The Garand just ozzes history to me when I holds it. However the M1A just seems to fit me best. I am just an old M1A fan. The hand guard has never been an issue, I have a super match with a woodland camo pattern McMillian glass stock and I painted the hand guard black. Looks just peachy keen to me with its worn look :D
John
Gettin old ain't for sissies!

COSteve
Advanced Levergunner

#21 Post by COSteve » Sun Sep 08, 2019 10:23 am

Blaine, you've got to go with what turns YOU on, not what anyone else thinks. That said, the M14 was my Basic Training rifle, the first rifle I ever shot with a peep sight, and the first rifle I ever tried to shoot out at 600yds. I humped it all over the Ft. Lewis hinterlands and loved shooting it.

It holds a special place to me and I'll never get rid of it even though I also have M1s and M1 Carbines as well. Heck, I like the look and feel of it so much that I made over my Mini-14 into a smaller clone; a 'Mini M14' if you will and I love shooting both of them.

Steve

"When you find a find a big kettle of crazy, it's best not to stir it." - Dilbert

Pitchy
Posting leader...

#22 Post by Pitchy » Sun Sep 08, 2019 12:19 pm

I`d like to have the squad version, very cool. :)
Because I Can, and Have
-------------------------------------------------------------
USAF-72-76
Friends are just people that will turn on ya some day, Jesus won`t.
Disclaimer, not responsible for anyone copying or building anything i make.
Always consult an expert first.

fordwannabe
Advanced Levergunner

#23 Post by fordwannabe » Sun Sep 08, 2019 3:37 pm

Kinda like this Pitchy.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
a Pennsylvanian who has been accused of clinging to my religion and my guns......Good assessment skills.

Pitchy
Posting leader...

#24 Post by Pitchy » Sun Sep 08, 2019 6:47 pm

Nice, i like the one with the 18 inch barrel. :)
Because I Can, and Have
-------------------------------------------------------------
USAF-72-76
Friends are just people that will turn on ya some day, Jesus won`t.
Disclaimer, not responsible for anyone copying or building anything i make.
Always consult an expert first.

OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

#25 Post by OldWin » Sun Sep 08, 2019 8:32 pm

Like this?

AJMD429
Posting leader...

#26 Post by AJMD429 » Sun Sep 08, 2019 8:55 pm

COSteve wrote:
Sun Sep 08, 2019 10:23 am
I like the look and feel of it so much that I made over my Mini-14 into a smaller clone; a 'Mini M14' if you will and I love shooting both of them.Image
Those clamp-on fake gas-tube thingies actually stiffen the Mini-14 barrels and improve accuracy, in addition to looking cool..... 8)
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "

Ray
Senior Levergunner

#27 Post by Ray » Tue Sep 10, 2019 1:11 am

Now you all have gone and done a bad thing. Was just about to click on the "buy it now" button of a 1893 marlin old enough to mail straight to my door. Now I'm thinking M1A now, even with the plastic handguard. Bad levergunners, bad levergunners !
m.A.g.a. !

Blaine
Posting leader...

#28 Post by Blaine » Tue Sep 10, 2019 1:43 am

Ray wrote:
Tue Sep 10, 2019 1:11 am
Now you all have gone and done a bad thing. Was just about to click on the "buy it now" button of a 1893 marlin old enough to mail straight to my door. Now I'm thinking M1A now, even with the plastic handguard. Bad levergunners, bad levergunners !
:lol: :lol:
8) 8) 8) 8) 8)

COSteve
Advanced Levergunner

#29 Post by COSteve » Tue Sep 10, 2019 4:21 am

Blaine wrote:
Tue Sep 10, 2019 1:43 am
Blaine, Blaine, Blaine. There is room in the world for both leverguns and an M1A . . . . and what the heck, a Mini M14 too. :shock: :) :D :lol:

I've got 2 M1 Garands, 2 M1 Carbines, an M1A and of course my Mini M14. I love shooting them, however, I have 8 leverguns and one of my Rossis always goes to the range with me, no matter what else I'm bringing. There is something special about the Model 92, especially in such a versatile caliber as .357mag, that just compels me to hold it, shoulder it, and shoot it.

We won't think ill of you for enjoying an M1A. In fact, I expect that it will lead you to finding an M1 Garand and an M1 Carbine . . . and mabe even a 58X Series Mini-14 you love too. :o
Steve

COSteve
Advanced Levergunner

#30 Post by COSteve » Tue Sep 10, 2019 5:05 am

AJMD429 wrote:
Sun Sep 08, 2019 8:55 pm
Those clamp-on fake gas-tube thingies actually stiffen the Mini-14 barrels and improve accuracy, in addition to looking cool..... 8)
They are called Accu-Struts and the short, single clamp (SOCOM) version I have actually doesn't help much with barrel whip but rather it aides in cooling the barrel as they are a good heat sink. When combined with the Choate hanguard I also use, they increase barrel cooling considerably. My 583 Series Mini with the thicker barrel doesn't suffer from the barrel whip issues the older pencil barreled Minis do. The truth is, I added it mostly for the "M14 look" it gives as I don't do mag dumps so the barrel stays pretty cool. :D The ones designed to stiffen the barrel are longer, 2 clamp models developed for the older, pencil barrel Minis. They do help stiffen the barrel, reducing barrel whip and stringing when used with other tweaks.

Speaking of the other tweaks, most are simple, do it yourself items to increase accuracy. Besides the Accu-Strut ($100), they include, a Mini200 Rear sight ($65), replacing the huge .080" gas bushing with a .045" one to reduce cycling forces dramatically ($25 for a set of 3 different sizes sorather than sending your brass into low earth orbit, it will land about 12'-15' from you), adding a target aperture to your rear sight ($15 for a set of 3 sizes) and thinning the front sight blade ($0), Choate front hand guard ($15), an M1 Carbine sling ($10), adding a set of 1911 buffers ($6 for a set of 6 [you use 2]) to the gas pipe and op rod spring to stop metal to metal contact during cycling, polishing the sear engagement for a smoother trigger ($0), shimming the action ($0), and torquing the 4 gas block screws to 30 in/lbs ($0).

Total cost for all of them is $236; about what a good AR trigger costs. Pass on the Accu-Strut and sling and the price drops to $126 and with good ammo (I use 62grn Hornady fmj, H335 powder, Win SR primers, and LC brass handloads), you'll be able to shoot at or near 1 MOA with irons. Mine produces 1¼", 100yd groups with irons (when shot by someone with much better eyes; my son). That's good enough to shoot bowling pins at 200yds pretty regularly. (While they are tall at 15", they are only 2 MOA wide at 200yds for about 1½" of their length with most of them well under 1 MOA.) Try to do better with irons and your AR, AK or FN, your M1, M1A, or M1 Carbine.

However, I took my 'Mini M14' beyond just accuracy enhancements and went a bit nuts. I also added a walnut stock ($190), Choate front sight/FH ($51), and in addition to my Ruger brand 20rd curved mags, I also have some OE brand 20rd straight mags ($14) that help complete the 'Look'. She shoots like a dream and ain't she purdy!!

Steve

2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

#31 Post by 2ndovc » Tue Sep 10, 2019 5:59 am

I did something similar with my Mini-30. I'd like to send the trigger group out for a work over next. I think it will tighten up some already decent groups.
This little carbine is a lot of fun!

jb 8)