HE FOLLOWED ME HOME

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

HE FOLLOWED ME HOME

Post by Grizz »

Could be a keeper. Fixing the tank leak. Seller said there are oil leaks. This is the 1980 model year with interesting details. There is an 860cc kit for this engine, anyone ever seen that setup? Zoom Zoom...
20190903_130512 (2).jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Re: HE FOLLOWED ME HOME

Post by Tycer »

Had a buddy with an R65. Great bike! He added an 860 kit in the late 90s and it was stupid fast. Very torquey. Came out of corners on fire. Had the ugliest fairing I’ve ever seen. From ‘79-82 he probably bought a half dozen valve covers. :shock: He got much better at riding after that.
Kind regards,
Tycer
----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.saf.org - https://peakprosperity.com/ - http://www.guntalk.com
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

Friend had one. Nice ride.

N.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
765x53
Senior Levergunner

Post by 765x53 »

You might enjoy this tune while you ride it. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ullcKdLHi0
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

Nice. road trip coming up?
LETS GO SHOOT'N BOYS
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

Man, that's COOL!!! I've always wanted a BMW!

I sold the Harley that I took from my brother in law for back rent. It just wasn't me, but a bike like that would have never left the garage without me on it!

Very cool and be safe!

Jason 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
octagon
Senior Levergunner

Post by octagon »

Outstanding!! :mrgreen: test rode a mid 70s dresser that rode good, but slugish with the shaft drive. Always liked BMW.
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

@Tycer. the only 860 kit I found in usa us 1400 usa, so would put me upside down at the start. My question is if I would have to upsize the carbs or just rejet them.

@Rhimfire. Yes to road trip. My first MC was an R50 which I rode from Portland S through Phx where I grew up, down through Tucson, across on I-10 to Atlanta, and N to NYC, arriving on ThanksGiving day. whichever year that was I don't know.

So, that would be my general route. But current work won't let me leave in time. Could be a springtime trip. Will likely make the back tack the way I rode one westward trip. But might add Alaska to the return..... Will be riding the fs roads until then.

I started on the tank tonight. It had rusted through in the past, was patched with inexpert brazing, but expert bondo and paint over all that. It developed a drip and the PO tried to fix it by gooping JB over the area. No joy. So he sold it rather than work it out. I don't think he had a clue about the extent of the old damage and repair... I still haven't pin pointed the spot where gas was escaping, suspecting the actual interface where the valve is located. No worries, epoxy and fiberglass will fix it up, good for the next 40 years.

Still hoping I find an 860 kit, or 1000 even, but cheap, like maybe a wreck with good jugs...

Thanks for the interest and good night.
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

765x53 wrote: Wed Sep 04, 2019 4:23 pm You might enjoy this tune while you ride it. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ullcKdLHi0
Oh Yes, that can be on the soundtrack... tnx
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Longtime Beemer admirer here, too. They always sounded more like a Swiss watch to me -- you could hear the precision.
Let me make clear I am scarcely a motorcyclist, having ridden nothing bigger than a Honda Rebel in endorsement class. :lol:
mikld
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mikld »

I owned a really nice R 100. Quiet and smooth (I owned a Harley prior to the BMW). The only thing I didn't like was the seat got a bit hard after about an hour riding, but that was a minor inconvenience on a long ride. It was a daily rider and I took it on a couple trips to Morro Bay from LA, and it was a good ride that didn't beat me to death. About 3 hours each way....

An old, uninsured, Buick decided to change lanes with out looking just as I was passing it, at 60 MPH, and knocked me over. Lot of damage but fixable until a tow truck came to haul it off the freeway. I had been taken to the hospital so I couldn't "supervise" the haul off. A moronic, stupid, %&!*! arab wrapped a chain around the cylinder and drug the bike up the back of the tow truck. When I had the estimate for my insurance the shop "totaled" it when they saw the damage to the cylinder.I had no recourse 'cause I took it from the f$(*!!* arab's yard a week prior and "it was OK when it left" and my attorney couldn't prove different...
Mike
Vocatus atque non vocatus, Deus aderit...
I've learned how to stand on my own two knees...
M. M. Wright
Advanced Levergunner

Post by M. M. Wright »

I've probably owned 2 of everything but put more miles on and old 75 R90 than any of the rest. Dead reliable. Never had to push it a mile.
M. M. Wright, Sheriff, Green county Arkansas (1860)
Currently living my eternal life.
NRA Life
SASS
ITSASS
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

almost bought an R90, but wasn't comfortable with some of the seller's mods. then I found an R65 and it fits me or I fit it or whatever. if I need more ponies I'll spring for more displacement. somehow it just seems right to have my feet behind the cylinders. I'm hoping I can find some cheap salvage parts somewhere for some inventory. I'd like to find the taller final drive somewhere... too fun and seems very familiar even though it's a long ways from R50 and R60 in some ways. I sure would like to have a straight magneto ignition again...
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

Very nice Grizz, congrats on getting it. 8)
Because I Can, and Have
-------------------------------------------------------------
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
Disclaimer, not responsible for anyone copying or building anything i make.
Always consult an expert first.