Savage Model 12 Long Range Precision

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Savage Model 12 Long Range Precision

Post by 6pt-sika »

I bought a used Savage Model 12 Long Range Precision in the 260 REM cartridge before I left for the Philippines but it didn’t arrive before I left . Got around to shooting it Saturday . I used loads I’d worked up for my Remington 700 5R which obviously is 260 as well .
C282967E-EC1E-4F47-A096-A8D690CD53E3.jpeg
3734D2BA-C5F8-499B-9DBF-7EA71FF6B754.jpeg
C6B09025-991A-454F-8D46-722F8BDB32B7.jpeg
4D9FC50B-5092-4FA0-8366-5DE4A190131B.jpeg
I think this one might just be a keeper .
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !
piller
Posting leader...

Re: Savage Model 12 Long Range Precision

Post by piller »

Looks like some good groups. What are you planning on hunting with it? Deer?
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

I have the factory benchrest version of the AccuTrigger set at about 12 ounces .
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Once you settle in on what load you like, it looks as if it might be able to give some 1 ragged hole groups. I hope you have fun with it.
D. Brian Casady
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

piller wrote: Mon Sep 02, 2019 12:55 pm Looks like some good groups. What are you planning on hunting with it? Deer?
More then likely paper . This one is rather heavy ! I killed a deer Tuesday evening with the Remington 700 5R on a damage control permit . FWIW I got one Friday night with my friends AR-10 308 suppressed with thermal imaging on top . Killed the deer at 21:15 at a measured 289 yards , don’t ask me how my friend got the yardage he said something about satellite yadda yadda yadda . But to date that’s the furthest I’ve killed a deer period in my entire life .
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

piller wrote: Mon Sep 02, 2019 1:00 pm Once you settle in on what load you like, it looks as if it might be able to give some 1 ragged hole groups. I hope you have fun with it.
This like several others were bought pretty much for the bench . I think I have something in the neighborhood of 10G’s of 6.5 bullets half are target half are hunting/target . I just need to get time to stay at the range for about six months to try everything I’d like to try in the 260’s the Grendel’s the 6.5x55’s and my 6.5 Sherman Short Magnum . Also a yet unfired 6mm-06 with a Hawk Hill 1:7.5 stainless barrel . That gun was built exclusively for the Berger 6mm 115 grain VLD .
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

289 yards is still a reasonable distance with a .308. 500 yards or more seems risky to me due to wind possibly moving the bullet and causing a wounded animal to run off. I am more impressed with ethical hunting than with someone injuring an animal at unreasonable distances. Since that was the longest shot at an animal you have ever taken, it would seem that you think along the same lines.
D. Brian Casady
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

piller wrote: Mon Sep 02, 2019 1:10 pm 289 yards is still a reasonable distance with a .308. 500 yards or more seems risky to me due to wind possibly moving the bullet and causing a wounded animal to run off. I am more impressed with ethical hunting than with someone injuring an animal at unreasonable distances. Since that was the longest shot at an animal you have ever taken, it would seem that you think along the same lines.
Didn’t know it was that far when I squeezed the trigger ! The furthest before that was about 250 yards in northeast Montana back in 1991 in the daylight . Of the 300+ deer I’ve killed in my lifetime , my lifetime average distance is if I remember correctly 42 yards . There have been a pile inside twenty yards but not so many past 125 yards .
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Why the 6.5 Creedmore ever came out with the .260 already there is beyond my imagination. Those two cartridges are the pick of the top shooters at our half scale silhouette matches out to 500 meters. Same thing at Ridgway, Pa. with the varmint bench rest out to 1000 yards with many favoring the .260.---6
Model A Uzi’s
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

Sixgun wrote: Mon Sep 02, 2019 1:31 pm Why the 6.5 Creedmore ever came out with the .260 already there is beyond my imagination. Those two cartridges are the pick of the top shooters at our half scale silhouette matches out to 500 meters. Same thing at Ridgway, Pa. with the varmint bench rest out to 1000 yards with many favoring the .260.---6
Jim Carmichael started the 260 years ago for high power rifle silhouette if my memory is correct . I’ve always had one or two 260’s since Remington legitimized the round in the mid 90’s . At the moment I have four bolt guns and an AR-10 chambered for the 260 . I’ve fired a dozen or so Davage guns chambered for the Creedmoor and they all shot very very well I saw no reason to buy one already having a 260 . But to each his own I prefer the 243 over the 6mm REM but that’s another can of worms . Although I’ve owned several 6mm REM’s and s 244 !
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Sixgun wrote: Mon Sep 02, 2019 1:31 pm Why the 6.5 Creedmore ever came out with the .260 already there is beyond my imagination. Those two cartridges are the pick of the top shooters at our half scale silhouette matches out to 500 meters. Same thing at Ridgway, Pa. with the varmint bench rest out to 1000 yards with many favoring the .260.---6
I've thought the same thing. I'm not into 'precision shooting' enough to matter (my old Ruger M77 in 6mm shoots 10 shots into one hole at 100 yards so that's good enough for me), but the 260 and 280 cover the gap between 243 and 308 pretty well...!
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

Is 100yds "long-range" in your neck of the woods?

:?:
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

FWiedner wrote: Mon Sep 02, 2019 3:53 pm Is 100yds "long-range" in your neck of the woods?

Since most of the deer I’ve killed were in the woods 75 yards is about the Max I can get from most of my stands .
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

6pt-sika wrote: Mon Sep 02, 2019 4:00 pm
FWiedner wrote: Mon Sep 02, 2019 3:53 pm Is 100yds "long-range" in your neck of the woods?

Since most of the deer I’ve killed were in the woods 75 yards is about the Max I can get from most of my stands .
I 've got several Savage rifles and they're all tack-drivers. The great thing is that they were accurate right out of the box.

I was just gonna say that you could probably add another 100yds (or two) and still get groups just like that, and not be working at the ranges that rifle was designed for.

:mrgreen:
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

I see Ruger just came out with a long-range rifle, but light enough (7.2 pounds) to be a viable hunting rig. Your choice of 6.5 Creed or 6.5 PRC.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

The Savages are kind of like AR's....utilitarian and very accurate; just not pretty.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

Bill in Oregon wrote: Wed Sep 04, 2019 8:22 am I see Ruger just came out with a long-range rifle, but light enough (7.2 pounds) to be a viable hunting rig. Your choice of 6.5 Creed or 6.5 PRC.
My gunsmith buddy has one of the Rugers along those lines in 300 Win Mag if the darn thing wasn’t so cumbersome I’d give seriouse thought to one in 6.5 PRC .
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

AJMD429 wrote: Wed Sep 04, 2019 9:49 am The Savages are kind of like AR's....utilitarian and very accurate; just not pretty.
It’s almost like they have no clue how to finish off the back of the bolt . Along with a few other things some of my friends say I’m overly picky about . At the present I have a Model 11 (I think it is) LH in 260 for the wife and a 110 something or other in 338 Federal both of which were purchased at Jerry’s going out of buisness sale . And of course this model 12 LRP and almost forgot a 220 20 gauge bolt action rifles slug gun . I kinda have thoughts of getting a Savage Hog Hunter in 338 Federal since I have a 338 suppressed on the way and the Higger is already threaded .
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

6-Pt, as far as I know this new Ruger only comes in the two 6.5 calibers.

https://www.gunsamerica.com/digest/ruge ... -reviewed/
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

Bill in Oregon wrote: Wed Sep 04, 2019 3:09 pm 6-Pt, as far as I know this new Ruger only comes in the two 6.5 calibers.

https://www.gunsamerica.com/digest/ruge ... -reviewed/
This is what he has . https://www.gunbroker.com/item/828593556
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

6-pt, that's a big bruiser all right. I never got to enjoying a .300 Win Mag in a heavy Ruger precision rifle 20 years ago. Even with all the weight, it still took a lot of concentration -- at least from me -- to shoot it well. Dialing back to a .260 Remington was the better course.
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

Bill in Oregon wrote: Thu Sep 05, 2019 9:28 am 6-pt, that's a big bruiser all right. I never got to enjoying a .300 Win Mag in a heavy Ruger precision rifle 20 years ago. Even with all the weight, it still took a lot of concentration -- at least from me -- to shoot it well. Dialing back to a .260 Remington was the better course.
If you throw out the pair of Ruger #1H's (375 H&H and 416 REM MAG) my heavy guns are the 444 levers/Ruger #3 and my 26 Nosler .

Don't get me wrong I still like the big bruisers and still shoot them from time to time , its just that time to time is getting A LOT further apart .

I'm getting so now I prefer sitting at the bench shooting groups with my CZ527 222 and 6.5 Grendel HB's as well as the pair of HB 260's I now have . I kinda want to find a nice older Remington 40x in 222 REM with a stainless HB . Actually a nice condition Remington 700 BDL Varmint Special in 222 REM would fit the bill , I've had five of them in 222 over the years and each time I put what I thought was a high price on them someone would take them off my hands :roll:
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

Bill in Oregon wrote: Thu Sep 05, 2019 9:28 am 6-pt, that's a big bruiser all right. I never got to enjoying a .300 Win Mag in a heavy Ruger precision rifle 20 years ago. Even with all the weight, it still took a lot of concentration -- at least from me -- to shoot it well. Dialing back to a .260 Remington was the better course.
I have two friends that have what I would call sporter weight 300 Win Mag's . One is a factory 700 BDL stainless with a brake attached and the other is a semi custom 700 that he had a Shilen #3 contour barrel screwed on . Both shoot around 1/2 MOA from the bench , matter of fact the one with the brake I've shot a group or two under 1/2" with it as well . The one with the #3 Shilen belongs to a retired friend that lives half the year in Montana and half the year in Virginia he used it to kill a couple cow elk and keeps it just in case he wants to go again . I watched him shoot a 3 shot group from the bench with that gun one day that were a very nice round hole well under half an inch , but as he said after three precise shots from the bench with that rifle and you don't want anymore for awhile .
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

AJMD429 wrote: Mon Sep 02, 2019 3:45 pm
I've thought the same thing. I'm not into 'precision shooting' enough to matter (my old Ruger M77 in 6mm shoots 10 shots into one hole at 100 yards so that's good enough for me), but the 260 and 280 cover the gap between 243 and 308 pretty well...!
The 260 and 7-08 cover the gap between the 243 and 308 . The 6.5-06 and 280 cover the gap between the 6mm-06 and 30-06 :wink:

OMG out of the 8 cartridges mentioned there I have them all except the 7-08 and 280 at the moment and lord knows I've owned several of both in the past and of course still have dies for them both "just in case" LOL's !

On a side note to that I got my 6mm-06 put back together today and will mount a Leupold 24x target scope on it Friday , have the Timney trigger set at 10 ounces at the moment . I want to try and load some ammo using the Berger 105 and 115 VLD's and try them next week .