Recycling - mostly hot air.....

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Recycling - mostly hot air.....

Post by AJMD429 »

I had a friend who drove a 'recycling truck' and he told me years ago that most of the time he wound up emptying all the various stuff he hauled at the local landfill, and even when he did take it to legitimate recycling places, he had heard that often if they couldn't sell the stuff for enough to justify the labor messing with it, they just took it to a landfill and/or incinerated it locally.

https://youtu.be/o2v7sbdl3WA

According to this guy, this is still the case.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Re: Recycling - mostly hot air.....

Post by gamekeeper »

Some of the Town Council's over here give out bags to put recyclables in, quite a few of these bags have been found in Malaysia, presumably because the stuff isn't being recycled it's being dumped abroad.
Recycled newspaper and glass can be unprofitable if too much has to be stockpiled in huge mountains of recyclable waste.
If more men loved and cherished their wives as much as I love bacon the world would be a much better place.
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

I haven't had a garbage collector..ever.....been here 44, almost 45 years. Burn the paper and recycle everything else...the township picks up every Wednesday at no cost. They showed us a video how it's done....everything goes into buckets together, picked up by the truck and goes to a center where everything is sorted...big magnetic wheel for the cans, plastic goes to one pile, books, magazines into another, glass to another....aluminum to another.

I really don't care what they do with it as it helps to keep my overhead down to about nothing, excepting taxes and insurance.---6
Model A Uzi’s
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

AWESOME LINK, Doc!
stretch
Advanced Levergunner

Post by stretch »

A lot could be done with incinerators in urban areas, bu the NIMBY syndrome is alive and well:
Long Islanders and folks in the Boston suburbs don't want those nasty garbage trucks going
to that smelly incinerator through their upper middle class neighborhoods. Best to ship it over
to 3rd world countries - out of sight, out of mind.

I'm pretty conscious of what I'm using, but even I'm amazed and appalled at how much
trash our little household of 3 produces. I recycle, try to avoid bringing home new stuff
that I don't need, forage at the dump, compost everything from wood chips, grass clippings,
and stove ash to kitchen scraps, newspaper and papers towels. The big thing is plastics.
So much packaging is made of plastic that is practically non-recyclable. And one frequently
doesn't have a choice. Tin cans and glass jars are recyclable. The metal cans are valuable as scrap,
and the glass can be ground and used as fill. (It's still cheaper to make hi-quality steel and bottles
from raw materials, however.) But plastic bottles with jam and salad dressing are essentially
garbage - too expensive to do anything with 'em. And there's no financial incentive for
big business to solve the problem(s).

A lot of the stuff shipped overseas is just dumped in the ocean, as is a significant portion of
US garbage.

The whole US recycling system is largely a scam - as evidenced by the video above.

-Stretch
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

From what I gather, incinerating plastics can be fairly benign from an environmental standpoint if the temperature is high enough for complete combustion.

Combining small amounts with the wood in our furnace seems to produce smoke that doesn't smell particularly bad, which should indicate complete combustion, and hasn't caused any issues with accumulation in the chimney. But it does require a maximum fire I can only use in the winter.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

We had a bit of a scandal locally. City requires us to separate recyclables and charges us for the recycling. When the program started, they said that they were going to sell the materials and then pay rebates to the community. Wrong.

A couple of years ago it comes out that all they are doing is taking those recyclable materials to the landfill and dumping it with everything else, and charging us extra to do it.

Now it's all hush-hush. I think they just renamed the "recycling" fee something like the "Jamb it up Your Azz" fee or the "Pay us or Keep your Garbage" fee on our utility bills.

Anyway, municipal recycling is a huge scam.

:roll:
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

The entire state pays a “redemption value” on every bottle and can.

Now many of us recall when a kid could collect pop bottles and turn them in to the store. Bought a bunch of gum and such that way. Every store took them back because the bottler paid them for returns.

Wel when it was proposed the people voted for it thinking they just had to return the and get their deposit back. Then came the hook for this scam. State took the money. Stores could and did refuse to handle the returns. So, since finding a convenient place to return the containers was neigh on impossible no one does. And the money, why the state keeps it.

Legal stealing nothing more.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

About 12-15 years ago cardboard was the only thing that was profitable to recycle, then aluminum. Everything else was burnt. This was told to me by a driver for a garbage/ recycling company.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!