Done

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
COSteve
Advanced Levergunner

Done

Post by COSteve »

Done
Last edited by COSteve on Sat Jan 16, 2021 7:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Steve
Retired and Living the Good Life
No Matter Where You Go, There You Are
Blaine
Posting leader...

Re: Prayers Out to All in the Path of Dorian - Now a Cat 5!!

Post by Blaine »

Just now read that the winds are up....200mph.
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

Very happy my dad is at his OH place. Looks like his place in Florida is gonna get a good blast. He told me not to worry, he closed the windows before he left and it's insured!

Good luck everybody!

Jason
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

I know 2 different people that moved to Florida this summer, both are saying WTF do I do ?!
Hope all stay safe and heed the authorities advice and beat feet!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

Prayers up, sounds like everyone in it's way will need them.
If more men loved and cherished their wives as much as I love bacon the world would be a much better place.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

gamekeeper wrote: Sun Sep 01, 2019 2:31 pmPrayers up, sounds like everyone in it's way will need them.
+1!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Rimfire McNutjob
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rimfire McNutjob »

Changed the battery and the oil in my generator and tested the automatic transfer switch. Stupid Group 29NF battery ... of course, try finding one of those in stock somewhere. I think my marriage vows somewhere mentioned continual air-conditioning or something ... come rain or shine. Cleaned stuff off of the dock as well. I'm in Sanford, FL so it's not clear if we get into the hurricane force winds yet, but we will at least be in some heavy tropical winds.

Usually the best analysis is at Tropical Tidbits but he only updates in the evenings usually between 7 and 9pm Eastern.

It's been raining hard just about every day for months now so I'm not sure what we'll do with more water. I'm on a lake but I'm at easy 20+ feet above the lake level so I'm not likely to flood. The 100 year flood zone just comes up to the back of my house ... yet I still have to pay for flood insurance every year because technically my property is in it.

Rhimfire is likely to get more of it than I am at this point. I guess we won't really know until it happens.

The last one took the power out for 3 days here. The backup on the cable system went out after about 24 hours so at that point we lost internet. Then some of the backups at the cell towers went out about a day later. That's when my kids started to go insane. We mostly binge watched shows on the DVR to get caught up.

When I went to the grocery store on Thursday, they were already out of water, bread, canned anything, bananas, and get this ... pop tarts. I live for pop tarts and was miffed. I get caught up on programming on the computer at night and I REQUIRE pop tarts during this period. Thankfully, they had some in stock today.
... I love poetry, long walks on the beach, and poking dead things with a stick.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

"...I live for pop tarts and was miffed..." :lol:

Gotta have a stash...those things probably have a 50-year shelf-life...!

I'd still rather deal with a hurricane than a tornado though...!
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Rimfire McNutjob
Advanced Levergunner

AJMD429 wrote: Sun Sep 01, 2019 5:26 pm "...I live for pop tarts and was miffed..." :lol:

Gotta have a stash...those things probably have a 50-year shelf-life...!

I'd still rather deal with a hurricane than a tornado though...!
Yeah, we've had some tornadoes cut some amazingly destructive swaths around here over the years. I'm inland so I'm not super worried, but on the coast they could get hit hard. If this thing hits as a CAT 5, that means it's showing up with the equivalent of an EF4 tornado wind speeds along the eye wall with a 30 mile wide eye. That'll make a mess.

Marsh Harbor on Abaco in the Bahamas was run over by the eye earlier today. I've been there a few times. I imagine it will be a while before it looks anything like it did prior to this event. That whole island is pretty flat and may have been covered in storm surge at points. Imagine 25 - 30 feet over normal high tide. When I was last there, we would go snorkeling in the bay looking for car hoods that locals had thrown into the water 15 feet or so down. During the day, lobsters would hide under the hoods and if you were not using tanks, you could take them with Hawaiian Slings. Just dive down in the crystal clear water and lift up a corner and go to town. Good days.
... I love poetry, long walks on the beach, and poking dead things with a stick.
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Prayers up. It is still a potential disaster for Florida at this time.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
wolfdog
Levergunner 3.0

Post by wolfdog »

Starting to weaken a bit. Wind is down to 150. Still waiting for it to turn north then north east. If it doesn't going to be pretty rough here tomorrow and Wednesday.
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Prayers up indeed. My SIL & her husband are planning on evacuating tomorrow. My aunt and her bunch just had their vacation cut short. We should be fine in the upstate. I'm hoping this thing swings out to the ocean, avoids Bermuda, and peters out safely... somewhere else...
wolfdog
Levergunner 3.0

Post by wolfdog »

Us in Florida seem to have dodged a bullet. Hopefully will steer clear of the Carolinas as well. The Bahamas relly got hammered, they are going,to be having hard times for quite awhile.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

For those who aren't familiar with what a "Cat 5" is...

Screenshot_2019-09-04-10-42-23-1.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

Griff wrote: Sun Sep 01, 2019 3:01 pm
gamekeeper wrote: Sun Sep 01, 2019 2:31 pmPrayers up, sounds like everyone in it's way will need them.
+1!
+ another
Rimfire McNutjob
Advanced Levergunner

Swing and a miss for Central Florida. I think it's busy soaking Jacksonville and Brunswick at the moment. Hopefully Savannah and the coastal Carolina's will just get a good rain and not any of the hard winds as well.

On the plus side, nobody seems to have gone to work yesterday or today so the roads are nearly empty around here. Should be the easiest drive home ever.
wolfdog
Levergunner 3.0

Post by wolfdog »

Ya, big nothing burger here on east east coast, i lost power for about 10 hours because of one tree but have seen no other damage. I went into work at 7 ,but none of the parts suppliers were open so called it and came home after 2 hours.
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

That was a close one.
I don’t want to deal with these hurricanes anymore. Toooooo stressfull
LETS GO SHOOT'N BOYS
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

Glad to hear you guys are good down there. Hopefully it stays offshore.

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
Fisher-Price
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Fisher-Price »

Went down to Atlantic Beach today and got my step-dads boat out of the water and brought it home 90 miles inland. Sure hope it stays out to sea. I was flooded under my house in 1996 by Fran on a place they said couldn’t flood because the army Corp of engineers had built dams in Raleigh. Replaced HVAC and all ductwork. Lost my house in 1999 on same lot from Floyd. Rich people in Raleigh have to maintain lake levels for holiday weekends and fishing tournaments and then they pee on all of us downstream so as not to get one an inch of water on their lawns knowing there are named storms coming. Matthew in 2015 set records for flooding mostly due to 20+ inches of rain in 24 hours but once again the engineers dumped water on top of that again to make it worse and set new records. Last year Florence floods Eastern NC again. We take employees in and out of farms to look after livestock by boat for 10 days. They pour more concrete upstream everyday and those of us in rural communities downstream set 500 year flood record events so far 4 times in 22 years.