Henry AR 7, anyone have one?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Henry AR 7, anyone have one?

Post by 2ndovc »

I've always thought these were kinda cool. I was at an estate auction years ago when a Charter Arms version popped up. The auctioneer didn't know what it was and offered it up for $20 thinking it was just a plastic stock in a box. I about had it for the $20 and some bone head yelled out that it was a whole rifle broken down in the stock. :evil: Then two other idiots bid it up to $400!! Still makes me mad.

Anyway,

Been thinking about buying one to put in the backpack that I keep in my company truck, just for kicks.
Mr. Hickock45 has a pretty good review of the new ones and was wondering if any of you guys had one.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IMCBXu-HpoA

I have a Ruger 10/22 takedown but I've put a bunch of $ into it and would hate to have it damaged or stolen, but it is another option.

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
piller
Posting leader...

Re: Henry AR 7, anyone have one?

Post by piller »

I have one. Lots of fun at the range when I get it out and put it together. Accuracy is decent. The front end is so light that it feels like it is bouncing all over the place until you figure out how to hold it properly. I hold it with my support hand around the bottom of the pistol grip and that elbow on my ribs. When I got mine from Cabela's they didn't let me take it out of the box to look it over. When I got it home I found out the barrel was bent about 15 degrees to the right. A couple of emails to Henry and I had a new barrel. I haven't used it for anything but the range as of yet.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

I had one for a while, although the take down and store in the stock was neat when required I thought that for most of the time it would have been better with a after market slim stock so you could just grab it and go. It was reliable and fairly accurate but I just couldn't get used to that fat hollow stock.
If more men loved and cherished their wives as much as I love bacon the world would be a much better place.
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Jason, the Henry version is a much better .22 than anything Charter made back in the day. Don't ask me how I know. I didn't really wring out the one I had, but it seemed accurate enough and fed perfectly. There is a subforum on Henrys at rimfirecentral.com, and there are stiffer aftermarket barrels available for reasonable prices.

https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/f ... y.php?f=67
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

Cool, thanks for the link Bill!

jb 8)

jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

My CA version works well and is as accurate as can be expected. It’s accounted for quite a few jacks. But the one time I needed it, it just felt small and insufficient. Although it did convince the two legged varmits to change their plans.

I replaced it with a take down.410 mossberg.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
jcw
Levergunner 2.0

Post by jcw »

I foolishly traded off a Charter Arms version some years ago. With CCI MiniMags off the bench it would group 1 1/2". The only thing I did not like was the necessity of having three hands when re assembling the receiver after a detail strip and cleaning session. I got it used for practicly nothing because the owner couldnt get it to run. It was completely filled with grime, dirt and who knows what.
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

jeepnik wrote: Sun Sep 01, 2019 3:38 pm My CA version works well and is as accurate as can be expected. It’s accounted for quite a few jacks. But the one time I needed it, it just felt small and insufficient. Although it did convince the two legged varmits to change their plans.

I replaced it with a take down.410 mossberg.
After a few days of thinking about it ( and some good responses. Thanks Guys!). I've come to the same conclusion. As useful as the .22lr is, I want something with a little more punch if I really need it.

jb 8)

gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

maxresdefault.jpg
This would be my choice over a AR7.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
If more men loved and cherished their wives as much as I love bacon the world would be a much better place.
barbarossa
Senior Levergunner

Post by barbarossa »

My alternative to the ar7 is my springfield m6 scout ,a handy solid little gun in 22/410.TPS arms now makes a new version of the scout with some improvements
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

I've had a couple of M6 carbines, they're cool but I didn't find them to be very accurate.

I spent last evening going through my stuff and settled on an AR I put together a couple of years ago in 7.62x39. I have less than $500 into it so it wouldn't be the end of the world if something happened to it. I have a soft takedown case that will fit under the back seat just right. I can be 50 plus miles from home on any given day and it's more for peace of mind than anything else. A couple hundred rounds of FMJs and a couple boxes of soft points should be plenty, Along w/ a few spare mags of course. A Mossberg Shockwave is going in the same spot in my personal F150, but it spends most of it's time in the garage.

Thanks for the suggestions Guys. :D

jb 8)

piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

If I were to pack a firearm in a backpack, it would be a Kel-Tec Sub 2k in 9mm or 40 caliber. The sights are good on the current model, and they are accurate and reliable. They fold up and fit in a small space and unfold fast. My Henry Survival rifle is mostly a toy, but it would go along if a floating fishing trip were to happen. While .22lr can be used for personal protection, it would not be my first, second, or third choice.
D. Brian Casady
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

I've looked at the Kel-Tecs, they just feel cheap to me. A friend has one and swears by it, but I don't think it gets fired all that much. Just uncovered a Ruger PC9 takedown that I'd forgot I had. That will go in my F150 instead of the Shockwave since I already keep a G17 in there. Just need to pick up another takedown case for it.

Keep the suggestions coming though. I like to hear what you guys use for "Truck Guns" or "Get home" guns incase of a natural disaster or social issues. I don't really get into the Bug out thing. If the stuff goes bas out there, I'm staying right here. :wink:

jb 8)

fordwannabe
Advanced Levergunner

Post by fordwannabe »

The trunk of my mustang has a S&W model 10 and a Ruger 10/22 takedown with extra mags and ammunition.
My superduty alternates between a custom marlin in 35 Remington and a stock as a rock Marlin in 44 mag and a Glock 23 in the center console.
I had a charter arms AR7 years ago but was more impressed with the idea of it than the execution of it.
My brothers both have the Henry version but at least one had an issue with the front sight falling off. I have had NO ISSUES with the 10/22 takedown use QD warne rings on it with a Vortex4-12 and it is threaded.
a Pennsylvanian who has been accused of clinging to my religion and my guns......Good assessment skills.
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

I was thinking about a light "survival" type firearm to store in my truck tool-box for those nothing better to do or just-in-case type of situations.

I don't travel the back roads down south so much anymore so I don't usually have my "truck gun" (Marlin 1894C or Model 94 Trapper) with me anymore.

I'd thought about an AR-7 years ago, back in the Charter Arms era. Didn't hear good things about them so I skipped it.

I bought a Springfield M6. It was a clever little contraption but after fooling around with it for a bit I decided that I didn't like the trigger I'd selected and I traded it off for something I can't remember.

Now I'm eye-balling those Chiappa Little Badgers. They look like they could be fun. They break down to fit in a back-pack, and Chiappa has a few accessories for them. Chiappa has also reworked the M6 and has a selection of sub-caliber inserts made to fit, but the kit ain't cheap.

:)
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

So, the Mossy is my jeep gun. The AR-7 is in a grab and go bag. But I liked the way the Mossberg worked out so I took my old Franchi model 48 and did the same. I already had a cylinder bore 18” barrel (cut down modified from my post military poor days).

The buttstock was set up for quick attachment like the mossy. It’s my pickup gun.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

I have the Armalite version, and had a Charter Arms one. Neither were very reliable; i.e. - they were very finicky on the ammo they would run. Neat concept though, and I always thought it made the best plinker/small game rifle for a canoe, given the thing floats. I've been intrigued by the Henry with the built-in rail, but not enough to grab one.
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

Gotta love those bigmouths who can't stop themselves from ruining the chance for somebody to get a deal at an auction. I always wonder if they feel better afterwards?
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
barbarossa
Senior Levergunner

Post by barbarossa »

FWiedner wrote: Mon Sep 02, 2019 4:08 pm I was thinking about a light "survival" type firearm to store in my truck tool-box for those nothing better to do or just-in-case type of situations.

I don't travel the back roads down south so much anymore so I don't usually have my "truck gun" (Marlin 1894C or Model 94 Trapper) with me anymore.

I'd thought about an AR-7 years ago, back in the Charter Arms era. Didn't hear good things about them so I skipped it.

I bought a Springfield M6. It was a clever little contraption but after fooling around with it for a bit I decided that I didn't like the trigger I'd selected and I traded it off for something I can't remember.

Now I'm eye-balling those Chiappa Little Badgers. They look like they could be fun. They break down to fit in a back-pack, and Chiappa has a few accessories for them. Chiappa has also reworked the M6 and has a selection of sub-caliber inserts made to fit, but the kit ain't cheap.

:)
I have had a different experience with my m6scout.The trigger though different was easy for me at least to get use to.My gun is very accurate and both barrels shoot to the same point of aim so I just use the one sight leaf.I find it to be a tough ,handy little gun and one I will always keep.
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

Over the years I've found some folks who condemn a firearm. Yet, I've had good luck with the same model. Probably the best example is the AMT .45 acp Backup. Complaints of hard trigger pull (intentional as it is a DAO semi auto), or gritty trigger pull. Well, if you clean it when you get it, lube it properly and then shoot it the trigger smooths right out. There were also complaints about the poor sights / accuracy. Duh, it has no real sights, just a groove in the top strap, the thing is for up close and personal not 25 yds.

What I found with mine was that shooting it smoothed it out, one got used to the sights, and as with many new firearms reliability improved. Here's what I think happened and it often applies to other firearms. People aren't willing to put in the time breaking them in. Now with the AMT I sort of understand how the weaker shooters weren't willing to put up with what is a rather brisk recoil. The thing is NOT fun to shoot. But once broke in it performed very well.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

Over the years I've found some folks who condemn a firearm. Yet, I've had good luck with the same model. Probably the best example is the AMT .45 acp Backup. Complaints of hard trigger pull (intentional as it is a DAO semi auto), or gritty trigger pull. Well, if you clean it when you get it, lube it properly and then shoot it the trigger smooths right out. There were also complaints about the poor sights / accuracy. Duh, it has no real sights, just a groove in the top strap, the thing is for up close and personal not 25 yds.

What I found with mine was that shooting it smoothed it out, one got used to the sights, and as with many new firearms reliability improved. Here's what I think happened and it often applies to other firearms. People aren't willing to put in the time breaking them in. Now with the AMT I sort of understand how the weaker shooters weren't willing to put up with what is a rather brisk recoil. The thing is NOT fun to shoot. But once broke in it performed very well.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

If we're referring to my comment about the M6, I didn't condemn the firearm, I said I didn't like the trigger.

It wasn't an issue of cleaning or maintenance, and it had nothing to do with break-in. I just didn't like it. As in: "Not my cup of tea."

:wink:
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

marlinman93 wrote: Tue Sep 03, 2019 10:13 am Gotta love those bigmouths who can't stop themselves from ruining the chance for somebody to get a deal at an auction. I always wonder if they feel better afterwards?
Same here. It's happened a couple of times over the years. Way back when I was still in college I was at an auction when a OH marked Sharps came up and the auctioneer thought it was an Italian reproduction. I just about had it at $400 when some creep yells out that it's an original. Could have killed the guy! I went to $1100, every penny I had in the world at the time and some other guy got it for $1150! :twisted:

jb 8)

gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

I got to handle an original Armalite A7 today, l didn't get a chance to shoot it but I was impressed with the feel of the thing, it felt more sturdy and slimmer than I remember the Henry Survival Rifle feeling. If the Henry had been more like the Armalite I would have kept it, the Henry was very reliable though.
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

Was it an original with a wood stock? After all look what James Bond did with one.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

jeepnik wrote: Thu Sep 05, 2019 1:40 pm Was it an original with a wood stock? After all look what James Bond did with one.
No it had a brown plastic stock. It felt more user friendly than the Henry, apparently the Armalite had been owned by a Canadian pilot who carried in his plane. The one James Bond had was supposed to be in .25acp I believe.... :shock:
wm
Senior Levergunner

Post by wm »

I had a Chinese knock off of a Browning semi auto 22 that could be broken down, replaced that with a AR-7 (Charter Arms), replaced the AR-7 with a Marlin 70 Papoose and eventually replaced that with a Ruger 10/22 with a folding stock.

I just didn't find either of the takedowns satisfactory in terms or reliability, accuracy or maintaining zero.

YMMV.

Besides that I wanted something more suitable for a 'sudden need'. Assembly took a bit too long to make defensive use possible IMO.

Wm

P.S. I always thought the Ruger Charger showed some promise in this niche but never picked one up to actually try it, though I still have a 10/22 barrel that I picked up cheap with the idea of combining it with a Charger to get a barrel length I considered optimal for my needs. Just another of those projects I need quite got around to pursuing...… so far anyhow.
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

I tried to get Henry to design a modern version of this but they weren't interested.
BSAmod2folderAD.jpg
Tap to enlarge.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
barbarossa
Senior Levergunner

Post by barbarossa »

I had a chance to buy one of those folding BSA rifles but didn t buy it fast enough and I m still kicking myself in the butt for missing it
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

FWIW back in the 70's I don't know who was making them but as a LEO we arrested a guy that was using them to make an "assassination machine" out of them.
The guy was mounting them inside a brief case so they could be fired with an electric trigger... and that's all I have to say about that.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Rusty wrote: Sat Sep 07, 2019 12:10 am FWIW back in the 70's I don't know who was making them but as a LEO we arrested a guy that was using them to make an "assassination machine" out of them.
The guy was mounting them inside a brief case so they could be fired with an electric trigger... and that's all I have to say about that.
There is always some idiot who messes things up for everyone else.
D. Brian Casady