not-so-shiny brass

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
earlmck
Advanced Levergunner

not-so-shiny brass

Post by earlmck »

Friend Larry thought I should have a couple more old boxes of ammo, so he slid a couple boxes of 30-30 ammo in the box when last I visited. He tells me these came from a farm on the wet side of the mountain -- I believe him, 'cause we don't see this kind of corrosion in these parts.
corrodedbrass.jpg

I didn't want to do much to the old stuff -- kinda' neat old shells. But I thought I'd clean off the green fungus before it decided to eat any of my good stuff.
cleanedbrass.jpg
So a couple more boxes of middle-aged ammo to add to the accumulation. I put a note in the box "corroded, don't shoot!!" just in case somebody finds these somewhere down the pike. The Winchester wasn't quite as far gone as the Remington but you wouldn't want to trust any of it: some of the corrosion spots go pretty deep into the case.
old3030boxes9725.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
The greatest patriot...
is he who heals the most gullies.
Patrick Henry
claybob86
Senior Levergunner

Re: not-so-shiny brass

Post by claybob86 »

I like messing with old stuff like that too. What did you clean them with?
Have you hugged your rifle today?
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

That stuff has its own attraction, doesn't it Earl?
earlmck
Advanced Levergunner

Post by earlmck »

claybob86 wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2019 10:44 pm I like messing with old stuff like that too. What did you clean them with?
I just spun them with my drill and used fine steel wool until the green was gone.
The greatest patriot...
Patrick Henry
earlmck
Advanced Levergunner

Post by earlmck »

Bill in Oregon wrote: Fri Aug 30, 2019 9:06 am That stuff has its own attraction, doesn't it Earl?
Yeah, my dad had a box of Remingtons like that one (the same box -- he used maybe two a year) until I came along and got big enough to shoot 'em up.
The greatest patriot...
Patrick Henry