Henry garden gun.

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Henry garden gun.

Post by gamekeeper »

I see Henry Repeating Arms have just announced a leveraction .22 smooth bore. Mice beware :lol:
If more men loved and cherished their wives as much as I love bacon the world would be a much better place.
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Henry garden gun.

Post by GunnyMack »

I saw that too! Now to find a trap that will throw crackers!( or biscuits)
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

Why?
Everyone has done this and err, it goes nowhere!

I always wonder who screwed up some barrels at the factory and the directors come up with this idea to shift them!

N.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

If I had a garden I'd get one. Be great fun chasing carpenter bees, cicadas as well! The email shows it has sights? Generic pic maybe...
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

.22 Mag, maybe?
I've only tried them with a Single Six, and you know the pattern ain't worth a hoot, but at 20' the few pellets that hit barely dents a plastic milk jug.
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

I will be interested to see the sales figures for the new garden gun.
I have very rarely found the .22 shotshell of any real use. The 9mm Flobert is is a much better round but still not very often required, a good air rifle on the other hand is very useful around the garden.
If more men loved and cherished their wives as much as I love bacon the world would be a much better place.
4t5
Senior Levergunner

Post by 4t5 »

are we still allowed to use the term "crackers", surely someone is offended!
Rumble.com/ hickock45
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

4t5 wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2019 6:09 pm are we still allowed to use the term "crackers", surely someone is offended!
Not Whole Wheat Crackers....that's racist.... :P

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

Blaine wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2019 8:23 pm
4t5 wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2019 6:09 pm are we still allowed to use the term "crackers", surely someone is offended!
Not Whole Wheat Crackers....that's racist.... :P
only if you put Aunt J on them . . .
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Blaine wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2019 11:45 am .22 Mag, maybe?
I've only tried them with a Single Six, and you know the pattern ain't worth a hoot, but at 20' the few pellets that hit barely dents a plastic milk jug.
Yeah. 22 WMR shotshells pricey but WAY better for carpenter bees....the 22 LR ones aren't much better than blanks just using muzzle blast.

When conditions permit, there's always a can of aerosol hair spray and a bic lighter.... :mrgreen:
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Ahh, the joy of coming up with reasons to want a new toy.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

piller wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2019 9:28 pm Ahh, the joy of coming up with reasons to want a new toy.
The reason a lot of .22 garden guns existed in the UK was our strict gun laws, getting a legal .22 rifle ment jumping through a lot of hoops, a .22 shotgun was easier to get and "if" you could find an illegal source of .22 LR you had yourself a very inaccurate rifle.
As a kid I ( nearly) went down the 9mm Flobert route and molding my own slugs...( which I can only guess )that they would have been quite lethal.... :?
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

gamekeeper wrote: Fri Aug 30, 2019 9:08 am
piller wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2019 9:28 pm Ahh, the joy of coming up with reasons to want a new toy.
The reason a lot of .22 garden guns existed in the UK was our strict gun laws, getting a legal .22 rifle ment jumping through a lot of hoops, a .22 shotgun was easier to get and "if" you could find an illegal source of .22 LR you had yourself a very inaccurate rifle.
As a kid I ( nearly) went down the 9mm Flobert route and molding my own slugs...( which I can only guess )that they would have been quite lethal.... :?
Wait....Buying 22 LR is illegal? :shock:

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

YUP......... without a firearm certificate issued by the police...... and then you are restricted to how many you can have... :roll:
I have even heard of kids shucking a couple of .22 shorts from the shooting gallery at the fair, as long as nobody noticed, just to get their hands on some ammo. That was in the old days when shooting galleries existed.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

gamekeeper wrote: Fri Aug 30, 2019 10:47 am YUP......... without a firearm certificate issued by the police...... and then you are restricted to how many you can have... :roll:
I have even heard of kids shucking a couple of .22 shorts from the shooting gallery at the fair, as long as nobody noticed, just to get their hands on some ammo. That was in the old days when shooting galleries existed.
They would LOVE to do this in Washington, OR, and Kali....

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

I appreciate YOUR freedom probably more than a lot of Americans do.
If only all gun owners knew what we have to put up with and what we are not allowed to have in the UK they might just make more of an effort to keep their freedom alive.
Gun owners over here are few in number compared to the US, if you don't generate enough NEW gun owners, the writing is on the wall.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

gamekeeper wrote: Fri Aug 30, 2019 12:10 pm I appreciate YOUR freedom probably more than a lot of Americans do.
If only all gun owners knew what we have to put up with and what we are not allowed to have in the UK they might just make more of an effort to keep their freedom alive.
Gun owners over here are few in number compared to the US, if you don't generate enough NEW gun owners, the writing is on the wall.
I give it one more generation. :evil:

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
Lastmohecken
Senior Levergunner

Post by Lastmohecken »

I saw that add too, frankly I was kind of excited. I have killed a lot of carpenter bees with a Ruger single six and the crimped .22 shot shells. It seems like the pattern ought to be better out of a smooth bore. I have been killing a lot of carpenter bees this year with a .410 side by side, shooting handloads make up out of 444 marlin brass, and different loads. Turnip seeds work pretty good, #12 shot behind about 7gr of Unique (same size shot as whats in the .22 shot shells does pretty good but you have to watch you background a lot better)
I have used Garnet for a Waterjet cutter and it works pretty good, and now I plan to use playground sand, which I think just might be the best so far.

But I like the idea of the Garden gun; I used to shoot a lot of birds when I was a kid, that would get in our chicken houses and my dad gave that to me as one of my chores. I used a bolt action Springfield .22 with bird shot. It was effective up to probably maybe 50ft.

I am tempted to try one of the Henry garden guns.
NRA Life Member, Patron
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

A couple of years ago I bought my brother in law a BUG A SALT fly killer. I think they now have one that is even more powerful made to kill bugs in the garden. It shoots table salt and is very good for what it's made for, and leaves no mess.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
EdinGa
Levergunner

Post by EdinGa »

I had access to shoot rats in several commercial chicken houses when I was a teenager. 22 shotshells were the only ammo allowed though. Most of us shot revolvers, but this little rifle would have been perfect.
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

Haven’t tried bugs yet, but for squirrels and flying rats my DPMS automatic BB gun works well. Headshots, whether single shot or short burst is very effective. It’s a pretty good “garden gun”.

I’d try it on mice and rats but my cat eats them all. He is rather selfish.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Speaking of crackers, doesn't anyone remember the old Mo-Skeet-O game from Scout camp?
Jeep, dang I forgot you had bought that full-auto DPMS!

https://www.southcoasttoday.com/sports/ ... -resurrect