"The Terror" (Horror mini-series): They Found The Real Ships!

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Old No7
Advanced Levergunner

"The Terror" (Horror mini-series): They Found The Real Ships!

Post by Old No7 »

Did anyone happen to see the horror mini-series "The Terror"?

It was based on the facts that back in 1848, two real life warships -- the HMS Terror and HMS Erebus -- were sent on a Royal Naval expedition to find the treacherous Northwest Passage. They became trapped in ice near the Arctic and faced starvation, mutiny, cannibalism and a monstrous polar bear.

It was creepy at times, but I enjoyed watching it. Rotten Tomoatoes described it saying: "A thriller wrapped in a prestige drama package, 'The Terror' makes for gripping, atmospheric supernatural horror..."

Anyway -- they have found the real ships! See more info below...

Old No7

HMS Terror - Erebus.jpg
The wreck of H.M.S. Terror, one of the long lost ships from Sir John Franklin’s 1845 expedition to find the Northwest Passage, is astonishingly well preserved, say Parks Canada archaeologists, who recently used underwater drones to peer deep inside the historic vessel’s interior.

“The ship is amazingly intact,” says Ryan Harris, the lead archaeologist on the project. “You look at it and find it hard to believe this is a 170-year-old shipwreck. You just don’t see this kind of thing very often.”

Discovered in 2016 in icy waters off King William Island in Canada’s far north, the shipwreck hadn’t been thoroughly studied until now. Taking advantage of unusually calm seas and good underwater visibility, a team from Parks Canada, in partnership with Inuit, earlier this month made a series of seven dives on the fabled wreck. Working swiftly in the frigid water, divers inserted miniature, remotely-operated drones through openings in the main hatchway and skylights in the crew’s cabins, officers’ mess, and captain’s stateroom.

“We were able to explore 20 cabins and compartments, going from room to room,” says Harris. “The doors were all eerily wide open.”

To investigate the lower decks of the H.M.S. Terror, a Parks Canada archaeologist inserts a miniature underwater drone through a skylight. What they saw astonished and delighted them: dinner plates and glasses still on shelves, beds and desks in order, scientific instruments in their cases—and hints that journals, charts, and perhaps even early photographs may be preserved under drifts of sediment that cover much of the interior.

“Those blankets of sediment, together with the cold water and darkness, create a near perfect anaerobic environment that’s ideal for preserving delicate organics such as textiles or paper,” says Harris. “There is a very high probability of finding clothing or documents, some of them possibly even still legible. Rolled or folded charts in the captain’s map cupboard, for example, could well have survived.”

The only area below decks the team was unable to access was the captain’s sleeping quarters. Apparently the last person to leave closed the door. “Intriguingly, it was the only closed door on the ship,” says Harris. “I’d love to know what’s in there.”

Just as tantalizing is the possibility that there could be pictures of the expedition awaiting discovery. It’s known that the expedition had a daguerreotype apparatus, and assuming it was used, the glass plates could still be aboard. “And if there are, it’s also possible to develop them,” says Harris. “It’s been done with finds at other shipwrecks. The techniques are there.”

The fate of the Franklin expedition has been one of history’s great mysteries. What’s known is that Sir John Franklin set sail in May 1845 with a crew of 133 men and orders to discover the Northwest Passage — a goal that had eluded explorers for centuries. Then as now, geopolitics was a driving force in Arctic exploration, with the Royal Navy wanting to secure the fabled shortcut to the Pacific ahead of the Russians, who had maritime aspirations of their own. With this in mind no expense was spared. Franklin was given command of two state-of-the-art ships, Erebus and Terror, both equipped with stout, iron-sheathed hulls and steam engines, as well as the finest scientific equipment and enough food and supplies for three years in the high Arctic. It was one of the best equipped and best prepared expeditions ever to leave Britain’s shores.

After brief stops in Scotland’s Orkney Islands and Greenland, the two ships set off for Arctic Canada in hopes of picking their way through its labyrinth of straits and bays and islands and eventually reaching the Pacific Ocean. The last European eyes to see the ships were the crews of two whaling vessels who encountered Erebus and Terror in late July 1845, on the crossing from Greenland to Canada’s remote Baffin Island. After that they were never seen or heard from again..............

As years passed with no word of the expedition, search parties were sent out. Over time the discovery of skeletons and discarded equipment — as well as disturbing evidence of cannibalism — made clear that the expedition had met with disaster. But how and why has remained a mystery.

A brief note found under a cairn gives a bit of the story. Dated April 1848 and signed by Francis Crozier — Captain of the Terror, who by then had taken command of the expedition — it stated that the ships had been locked in ice for a year and a half, that 24 of the men were already dead — including Franklin — and that Crozier and the other survivors planned to attempt to walk overland to a remote fur-trading outpost hundreds of miles away on the Canadian mainland. None of them ever arrived.

What caused such a well-equipped expedition to go so badly wrong remains a mystery. But in recent years the two biggest pieces of the puzzle — the ships themselves — were discovered: Erebus in 2014, lying in 36 feet of water off King William Island, and Terror two years later, found in a bay about 45 miles away, in 80 feet of water and largely intact.

Why the ships ended up so far apart, which one went down first, and why and how the ships sank are questions archaeologists hope to answer.

“There’s no obvious reason for Terror to have sunk,” says Harris. “It wasn’t crushed by ice, and there’s no breach in the hull. Yet it appears to have sunk swiftly and suddenly and settled gently to the bottom. What happened?”

Teasing out the answers won’t be easy, even with such a bounty of artifacts. There are plans to excavate both wrecks, but it will be a slow process requiring years.

“Diving up here is extremely difficult,” says Harris. “The water is extremely cold, making it impossible to stay down for very long, and the diving season is short — a few weeks if you’re lucky, a few days if you’re not.”

Even so, this season’s work on Terror has already provided some clues that will help researchers develop a chronology of the disaster.

“We noticed the ship’s propeller still in place,” says Harris. “We know that it had a mechanism to lift it out of the water during winter so that it wouldn’t be damaged by the ice. So, the fact that it’s deployed suggests it was probably spring or summer when the ship sank. So, too, does the fact that none of the skylights were boarded up, as they would have been to protect them against the winter snows.”

No doubt there are a lot more answers lying beneath the sediment in those cabins, says Harris. “One way or another, I feel confident we’ll get to the bottom of the story.”
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"Freedom and the Second Amendment... One cannot exist without the other." © 2000 DTH
Blaine
Posting leader...

Re: "The Terror" (Horror mini-series): They Found The Real Ships!

Post by Blaine »

:shock: Thanks for posting.
The story should remind us, also, that Artic Ice is not a permanent, year round feature.
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

I saw that show and enjoyed it also. Think it's still on the DVR.
"Oh bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round.
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

There are some videos of the vessel when it was found a few years back. The seas seem to be slowly giving up it's secrets.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
Les Staley
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Les Staley »

I found the book "Frozen in Time" by Owen Beattie and John Geiger copywrite 1988 very interesting, some factual history and excellent photos of some of the sailors they exhumed and took tissue samples for pathological tests in 1984. You won't put it down if you start reading it. I bought my copy in 1990 in Sault St Marie Ontario. Paperback $12. (Then).
This is plagiarized from someone else, but I love it!

I was born a gun owner.
It wasn't a choice.
I didn't become one later in life.
I was born this way.
Carlsen Highway
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Carlsen Highway »

I just finished watching that show, I enjoyed it. My kind of thing, they hardly have any shows that interest me anymore. They should have made a series out of The Revenant movie. I would watch that one.
A person who carries a cat home by the tail, will receive information that will always be useful to them.
Mark Twain
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

I also watched the series, will have to more closely follow the recovery efforts.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

I know the story but haven't heard of "The Terror" mini series, it sounds like real interesting watch. I hope it comes on TV over here..
If more men loved and cherished their wives as much as I love bacon the world would be a much better place.
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

Carlsen Highway wrote: Mon Sep 23, 2019 3:32 am I just finished watching that show, I enjoyed it. My kind of thing, they hardly have any shows that interest me anymore. They should have made a series out of The Revenant movie. I would watch that one.
So you're into historical fiction I take it?
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
Carlsen Highway
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Carlsen Highway »

Yes. That is what we are discussing. I dont think anyone claimed either The Terror or The Revenant was non-fiction! The Terror had a monster in it for crying out loud.
(I know the real story behind the The Revenant of course. What little we know of it. For a start Hugh Glass's troubles took place in summertime...)
A person who carries a cat home by the tail, will receive information that will always be useful to them.
Mark Twain