Moose Hunting in Central BC

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
daisygordoninc
Levergunner 2.0

Moose Hunting in Central BC

Post by daisygordoninc »

Just recently learned that my moose hunting in the Caribou District of BC will not happen this fall. The liberals in Vancouver have
been persuaded by someone, maybe representing the Native Tribes to curtail the guided moose hunts this fall. My guide who usually
gets 7 tags and plans his hunts around that got just one tag. He of course cannot plan having guided hunts with us this fall with only
one tag. Apparently this applies to many of the guides in the BC area. Grizzly bear hunting had already been stopped a couple of
years ago. He along with other guides have appealed that decision but to no avail. I had scheduled to take 3 guys with me again this
fall, but that trip has been cancelled. The moose population in the area we hunt has not been noticeably affected by hunting, maybe
even helped. I'm saddened by this as I won't likely be able to pay the much larger guiding costs of a Yukon or Alaska hunt. I may look
into moose hunting in Alberta, I don't know if they are headed the same way or not. We used to live in Alberta East of Edmonton and
I know there are some moose hunting areas north of where we lived and further West as well. Have any of you hunted moose in Alberta ?
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Moose Hunting in Central BC

Post by Pete44ru »

Is going through a guide for a Moose tag the only way available to you, or can you just buy a Moose tag and go hunting on your own ?

daisygordoninc
Levergunner 2.0

Post by daisygordoninc »

I don't think we could get our guns and ammo in the country without a letter from our guide.
Don't think I could buy a moose tag without the guide.
daisygordoninc
Levergunner 2.0

Post by daisygordoninc »

My guide can't even hunt in his own area with the tag he has. Moose tags are a draw for Canadians who live there.
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

This is a shame Gordon. I know that hunt is a beloved tradition.
I have looked into the hunts in the Maritimes, but getting the meat home is not cheap.
ollogger
Advanced Levergunner

Post by ollogger »

Back in the mid 70s I hunted moose east of Valley View about 30 miles, a lot of low land that could be very wet
just what the moose likes & there was plenty at that time. at that time you could cross the border with long arms & no pass port
and just go hunting & camp in the bush on public ground most any place, yes we got 3 moose out of 3 guys
Canada was a grand place at that time for a young man to hunt & fish & explore from Ontario to the Yukon

ollogger
daisygordoninc
Levergunner 2.0

Post by daisygordoninc »

Should have started hunting in BC in those days. I was living in Africa for some of those years and didn't have
much money later. There is so much room for hunting in BC and so few moose hunters. I suppose we will be
seeing the same kind of thing here in the USA in the future if the liberals have their way.
Tactical Lever
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Tactical Lever »

daisygordoninc wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2019 7:00 am Just recently learned that my moose hunting in the Caribou District of BC will not happen this fall. The liberals in Vancouver have
been persuaded by someone, maybe representing the Native Tribes to curtail the guided moose hunts this fall. My guide who usually
gets 7 tags and plans his hunts around that got just one tag. He of course cannot plan having guided hunts with us this fall with only
one tag. Apparently this applies to many of the guides in the BC area. Grizzly bear hunting had already been stopped a couple of
years ago. He along with other guides have appealed that decision but to no avail. I had scheduled to take 3 guys with me again this
fall, but that trip has been cancelled. The moose population in the area we hunt has not been noticeably affected by hunting, maybe
even helped. I'm saddened by this as I won't likely be able to pay the much larger guiding costs of a Yukon or Alaska hunt. I may look
into moose hunting in Alberta, I don't know if they are headed the same way or not. We used to live in Alberta East of Edmonton and
I know there are some moose hunting areas north of where we lived and further West as well. Have any of you hunted moose in Alberta ?
Sorry to hear that. I would think about hunting the Yukon. Might be a bit more of a trip, but from what I've seen the prices for tags and stuff seems lower.

I live in Fox Creek, and haven't bothered entering a moose draw, but there are a pile of them up here. Not sure if it is allowed for out of country hunters, but I would consider being a hunter host if it helps you out.

I think it still is, and you might have a slightly better chance than the guys with the California license plate that I saw with a blind set up on the side of a busy oil road... :lol:
Profanity is a poor substitute for a proper education.
daisygordoninc
Levergunner 2.0

Post by daisygordoninc »

Hey thanks, I'm looking at options, that is generous of you to offer being a host.
Tactical Lever
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Tactical Lever »

daisygordoninc wrote: Tue Sep 03, 2019 10:16 pm Hey thanks, I'm looking at options, that is generous of you to offer being a host.
No prob! Let us know what you decide. If going the hunter host way is a good option for you, let me know. I'm sure no great white hunter, but I sure run into a fair number of them. I'm also off for a week at a time for my regularly scheduled days off...
Profanity is a poor substitute for a proper education.