Flashlights now versus 50 years ago.

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Flashlights now versus 50 years ago.

Post by AJMD429 »

The 'bulbs' are sure brighter.
The beams are more focused.
The run-time is sure longer.
The batteries still leak.
The switches are worse.

I got a $30 or so flashlight and for that price wasn't going to make it my main depend-on light, but just one for around the house. Of course it has a regular and a battery-saver dim mode, which is nice I guess, and a "s.o.s." mode, which I think is rather silly. That means it has a 'smart' switch that can decide what 'mode' to be in depending on how fast I press it and how many times.

Of course the switch has started functioning erratically. :roll:

I liked the old sliding-piece-of-metal ones.... :|

At least the Coast brand ones I've bought (five or six 'LED-Lenser' models now) have always been 100% reliable. They are on several of my rifles actually.
Last edited by AJMD429 on Mon Aug 26, 2019 10:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Flaslights now versus 50 years ago.

Post by Nath »

Won't touch the three mode flashlights, we call them torches by the way ....my flash lights are just on an off.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
claybob86
Senior Levergunner

Post by claybob86 »

Nath wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2019 12:47 am Won't touch the three mode flashlights, we call them torches by the way ....my flash lights are just on an off.
That's how I like them too! I don't think the multi-mode switches would serve the average person well in an emergency.
Have you hugged your rifle today?
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Hate three mode or more flashlights on the market. Just not needed for 99% of flashlight use. On/Off is all that's needed. Although some that have the red light feature is kinda nice to matin your night vision. There are LED units that change your MAG light into brighter lights.
LEDlenser is a good cheap light like Doc says.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
EdinGa
Levergunner

Post by EdinGa »

I agree that any self defense flashlight should be on/off. My daily carry has multiple modes, and I use them. I stay away from the cheaper lights, but there are great options out there in the $50-100 range. Olight has become a brand that I trust and highly recommend. I stay away from alkaline batteries too. Lifepo4 is my chosen chemistry. It's rechargeable, safe, and not that expensive.
bikerbeans
Levergunner 1.0

Post by bikerbeans »

I have a pile of broken flashlights. My wife buys them for me for presents and if i get a year out of one i am surprised. I found the ones that have the best beams are the ones that die first. Bad switches are usually the culprit.

BB
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

I have three modern flashlights with multi function switches, everyone is a pain in the butt, the main beams are excellent but the switches let them down.
If more men loved and cherished their wives as much as I love bacon the world would be a much better place.
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Doc, I agree the switches are now the weak link.
I have somehow ended up with several tactical garbage from China flashlights. Yes, you can hit them with a hammer, and yes -- the pure-junk switch fails after a dozen uses. I'll look for Coast flashlights.
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

The switch is the fail point if the batteries are still good. I made the mistake of buying Kirkland batteries at Costco. They LEAK. Rechargeable batteries are much better now than they were even 5 years ago. If you have a Batteries Plus Bulbs store nearby, get one of their lights and the rechargeable batteries. It is a bigger initial cost, but it comes out better in the end.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
Malamute
Member Emeritus

Post by Malamute »

There are scads of cheap, poor quality flashlights on the market. You mentioned 50 years ago, which seems like a long time, then I started thinking that mag lites are 40 or more year old designs, and seemed like hot stuff back then. They arent much of a light in todays world, most of mine died and got tossed years ago. Mini-mags have awful switches, theyve ended up going from regular carry to "I think theres a few around somewhere but I dont know where any are," status.

I splurged about 15 years ago and bought a Surefire E2E. An absolutely amazing light in build quality and features. Far tougher and better quality light than mag-lites ever dreamed of being. The original simple push tail cap switch rubber cover died, they sent me a new click-on tail cap, its been excellent. The only real down side was the CR-123 batteries. Those various branded ones available locally didnt last very long and were stupid expensive. i ordered the surefire ones and theyve been excellent. About $2 each from a gunshow guy or ordering direct from surefire last i checked. About 2-3 boxes/12 lasted me a year in regular use working and as yard light. I only have the older type bulbs, the newer LED bulbs are much better if a bit more expensive.

I have a Surefire of the original 6P type as a gun light in a scope ring, it was at a pawn shop for cheap. Excellent light, slightly larger than the E2E. The G2 nitrolons are also very good and very reasonably priced. They also fit a scope ring and work as a gun light.

Walking through a store in the big city I saw a streamlight micro-stream on sale. Hmm, tiny AAA light, reasonable price, think Ill try it for those times the Surefire is a bit large (its mini-mag size but shorter). The micro-stream is a fantastic light, its moved into the everyday carry and use slot. I use it a lot and the single AAA battery lasts about 2-3 weeks. I found them online for about $16. I got a spare and gave one or two away.

Life is too short and good lights are too reasonably priced to live with poor lights. Im pretty much a traditionalist in many regards, but newer flashlights are outstanding investments.
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-

Isnt it amazing how many people post without reading the thread?
Trailboss
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Trailboss »

Around 10 years ago I purchased an American custom made flashlight, led bulb, rechargeable lithium 123 battery. It's a quality light machined out of aluminum and I spent around $150 for it at the time. I'm still carrying it, still using the same rechargeable batteries and have had zero issues in 10 years. Once a year, I clean the contact surfaces with an electronics cleaning solution and cue tips. I use this light for around 2 hours everyday as part of my job. No flickers, no fail, runs for 48 hours on the low setting. I swap the battery once a week for a freshly charged one. I got a couple of extra switches (replaceable) when I bought the light but haven't needed one yet. In retrospect, this purchase was one of my best ever.

tb
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Re: Flashlights now versus 50 years ago.

Post by AJMD429 »

Yeah, I like the separate red or 'dim' light on a utility flashlight, but just use separate switches for reliability.

I feel the same about those automatic-mixing shower faucets....just give me a 'hot' valve and a 'cold' valve please.

...and while we're at it the same goes for 'climate control' buttons in cars.... :roll:

....I could go on for hours..... :lol:
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Les Staley
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Les Staley »

I've got the Microstream USB. Rechargeable! During summer, the charge lasts a couple months, (long days). Entering fall, we'll see. Made a little leather side saddle on my Buck folder carrying case. It's part of my EDC now.
This is plagiarized from someone else, but I love it!

I was born a gun owner.
It wasn't a choice.
I didn't become one later in life.
I was born this way.
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

The older I get, the more of a flashlight junky I become.
I have an old Surefire G2 my wife carries, a G2LED that is in a ring on a Colt 6920, and a G2X on my nightstand.
The real winners are the little Streamlight Stylus Pro's I carry clipped in my pocket at all times. I don't know what I did without these lights. I use them constantly.
"Oh bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round.
wm
Senior Levergunner

Post by wm »

I've had good luck with the Harbor Freight 588 Lumen flashlights. I've got half a dozen around the house (back door, side door, front door, work bench, kitchen drawer, office) and in each of the vehicles. They are pretty basic and I'm not under any illusions that 'they are just as good as ________ that cost __X's as much' but they are good enough for any mundane task and can be more then adequate in a tough spot. And at $10 I can afford to have them all over the place (which is nice cause I'm not going to walk around with a flashlight on my person).

And when doing flashlight drills at the range I don't feel bad when it gets dropped of banged up. Ditto when hunting. If a 588 lumen Harbor Fright for $10 falls out of the canoe or duck boat its a dang nabbit moment. If I lost a 500 lumen Streamlight or similar costing flashlight I would have to invent some appropriate new swear words for the occasion.

BTW a couple years ago my local Sheriffs department got rid of a bunch of Safariland, Bianchi, & Galco mace holders for deputies duty belts (along with assorted holsters, belts, magazine holders, handcuff cases). Those mace holders fit these Harbor Freight flashlights like they were made for each other. Makes storing them easy & if I need to transfer them to my person they just snap on to my belt.

Wm

P.S. I have very nice Streamlights and Surefires for concealed carry & for more serious work.... there is good enough and then there is worst case scenario good enough.
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

About 2 years ago Tractor Supply had some ten dollar flashlights that used a rechargeable 18650 size battery. I bought 4 or 5 of them. The rechargeable battery seems to do pretty good. The lights are a 500 lumen adjustable focus type, and are aluminum. For ten dollars, they are good. I like the fact that I can find the 18650 batteries at Wal Mart in the garden department, and I keep the spares charged. No, the lights are not as good or as bright as the high dollar lights, but they are more than adequate for most tasks where your life is not in danger. 500 lumens is a lot of power when you are not in a lighted room.
D. Brian Casady
Tactical Lever
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Tactical Lever »

AJMD429 wrote: Sun Aug 25, 2019 11:29 pm The 'bulbs' are sure brighter.
The beams are more focused.
The run-time is sure longer.
The batteries still leak.
The switches are worse.

I got a $30 or so flashlight and for that price wasn't going to make it my main depend-on light, but just one for around the house. Of course it has a regular and a battery-saver dim mode, which is nice I guess, and a "s.o.s." mode, which I think is rather silly. That means it has a 'smart' switch that can decide what 'mode' to be in depending on how fast I press it and how many times.

Of course the switch has started functioning erratically. :roll:

I liked the old sliding-piece-of-metal ones.... :|

At least the Coast brand ones I've bought (five or six 'LED-Lenser' models now) have always been 100% reliable. They are on several of my rifles actually.
I don't mind Coast, but not sure if mine will be true long haul flashlights. You usually have to spend a little more for a flashlight with a good switch.

Probably my best flashlight right now is a Pelican 2360 "Tactical". It has a programmable switch that is kind of nice. My preferred setting is full power on the 1st click, then low power, after. And I'm partial to a single AA Browning Tactical Hunter, also. Both lights have been on a couple trips to Mexico now, and I have went swimming with them. Near daily use, with the lights probably being switched on and off several times per day on average for a few years now.

My new favourite headlamp is the green Energizer. Multi function switch, but it remembers your last set power; 1st click is the red light, then 2 white LED at once.
Profanity is a poor substitute for a proper education.
1894c

Post by 1894c »

I started life with a Mag-Lite 3 D batteries and the mini Mag-Lite with 2 AA batteries. Then I transitioned over to my first $159.00+ Pelican 8060 Tactical LED rechargeable flashlight 700 lumens (this light was stolen) and a Pelican 1920 LED 2 AAA battery, which I carry as a back-up to the back-up.

Now I'm carrying a Streamlight 75813 Stinger DS C4 LED rechargeable Flashlight 425 Lumens (lighter than the Pelican 8060) and a Streamlight ProTac 2AA Black Flashlight (love this light). I went with Streamlight simply due to peer-pressure from a whole bunch of young LEO's, apparently the Streamlight 75813 Stinger is what the cool kids are now using... :)

I have no issue with multiple modes on a light, choice is good.
0-650-streamlight-stinger-ds-led-hl-with-ac-dc-charger-black.jpg
blacks-streamlight-flashlights-88033-64_1000.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
mickbr
Levergunner 3.0

Post by mickbr »

Depends what level you get. The mainstay for flashlights now is 18650 rechargeable powered, which can't leak being lithium. There was a huge advance in LED tech in the 2000's, went from maglight power of about 40 lumens, now several thousand is possible. Problem is the market is often powered by kids and flashlight enthusiasts , not duty users so these thing end up with all those crazy disco functions mentioned to keep folks buying the latest gimmick.

There are still some serious simple brands though. Top level are custom makers like Malkoff, Elzetta, HDS, mcgizmo, then the military brand Surefire. Most these have lifetime warranties. The next level down , the high end chinese stufff, usually 5-10 yr warranty like Olight, Klarus, Eagletac, sunwayman, thrunite, nitecore aren't bad either. They can range for simple duty level to hideous disco functions and multimodes. Generally a 'tail cap clicky' with automatic to high power and 'momentary on'( can semi depress the tail cap to just shine light momentarily if needed )is the tactically sensible light. Anything more than that is personal preference.
Then all the budget brands below that.

The big issue for all these is folks chasing insane lumens. In the mid 2010's, 18650 capacity and lumens matched well, most high end lights running about 600-700lumens( 10x old maglight level) and the battery lasting 1-2 hours on full. Now the lumens have almost tripled again, but the battery capacity haven't improved. On high power some of these things only last a handful of minutes and shutdown to stop from overheating. Again all the kids and collectors love it, driving manufacturers to go brighter and brighter. I bought up a lot of good flashlights around 2016 which is just before things went too crazy.
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

I recall when Maglite came out and set the new standard for how good a flashlight could be. Very bright, sturdy, and lifetime warranted. Then gradually over the years others improved and raised the bar higher.
Today's flashlights are amazing with the lamp technology, reflectors, and batteries offered now. And the prices range from free to extremely expensive for anything marketed as "tactical".
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
Tactical Lever
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Tactical Lever »

Also have a couple Nebo lights that I am happy with. Got a small flat area light that throws 500 lumens and is dimmable, and charged via USB. Wasn't sure about USB charged stuff, but the battery lasts a long time, doesn't really seem to "leak down", and it's easy to top up so you don't end up with a great light, and dead batteries. My other Nebo is an 180 lumen "inspection" light. Bit bigger because of the adjustable focus lens, and has 3 settings. First is bright, then dim, then strobe, and works as a momentary switch without having to "click" it. Supposed to last about 2 hours on high with regular batteries. Maybe. But it seems to go a bit dimmer before too long. Using this one as my EDC lately.

I bought a Streamlight Stylus pen light a few years back (probably about 5?), and it is holding up very well also. Brighter than advertised, at least at first, and then very usable, as long as you don't stretch the distance too far. Batteries seem to last forever with the somewhat modest light output. Handy to carry in a pen slot if your shirts are so equipped.

I mostly use the reasonably priced Energizer Industrial batteries, and they are pretty decent. Wouldn't be a bad idea to switch to some lithium batteries, though for cold weather (emergency) use.
Profanity is a poor substitute for a proper education.
Alan Wood
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Alan Wood »

For the past 10 years or so I have had pretty good luck with the ~10 dollar big box store 1 Led 3 AAA cell pocket size flashlights. Granted my needs aren't tactical but you would be amazed how dark the corners of seemingly well lit data centers get. But watch out on store brand batteries. At work, home, and my parents it has become increasingly common, almost normal to find a leaky battery anytime you go to replace one if the ones being replaced are store branded :(

On the plus side this thread had the side affect of me discovering that there is now a localish Tractor Supply. :)
wm
Senior Levergunner

Post by wm »

Alan Wood wrote: Mon Sep 02, 2019 2:09 am But watch out on store brand batteries. At work, home, and my parents it has become increasingly common, almost normal to find a leaky battery anytime you go to replace one if the ones being replaced are store branded :(

That's the truth! Cheap batteries are too expensive.

Wm
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Kirkland batteries from Costco are bad.
D. Brian Casady
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

Ever since Mag Lites hit the scene that’s pretty much all I’ve used . That has to be thirtyfive years atleast .
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !
Alan Wood
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Alan Wood »

piller wrote: Mon Sep 02, 2019 11:49 am Kirkland batteries from Costco are bad.
Indeed they are the ones that come to mind. That having been said I have had another store brand go and leak badly less than 48 hours after my edc light swithched itself on in my pocket. Might have been 48 hours after switching on before I could replace the batteries but the light was still on when I caught it and turned it off so. I'll not mention the store here because I am not sure which one it was.