Sixgun- Educate me, please

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Bridger
Levergunner 3.0

Sixgun- Educate me, please

Post by Bridger »

Though I'm firmly a Colt man, lately I have had a strong desire for an original, unconverted, 3 screw Ruger Blackhawk.
I seem to remember you know a thing or two about these....so,,
1. Are all 3 screw models also flattop?
2. How strong are they? I assume since they are Ruger they are brute strong.
3. Are the values rising similarly to that of Colt revolvers?
4. I get confused reading about it, but apparently there are 3 different Blackhawk frames. Can you elaborate??

Thanks!
"The best argument against democracy
is a five minute conversation with the average voter."

- Winston Churchill
765x53
Senior Levergunner

Re: Sixgun- Educate me, please

Post by 765x53 »

Until Sixgun appears, this might help. https://gunblast.com/Hamm_Ruger-SA-GripFrames.htm
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

I appeared!

Yes Mr. Bridger, all flattops are 3 screws but not all three screw are ftlattops. Look at the pic below.....the flattops have a flat top strap.

Yea...those babies are just as strong as the rest of them...they just recoil a bit more.....shooting full power loads of 44 magnum in a three screw flattop will let ya know your shooting something.....the regular old model 44 mags are beefed up a bit...long story but it's out there.

Value? Flattops three screws are rising faster than old model three screws.....theres less of them and are older....rule of thumb in collecting..the older, the better, the rarer, it's better yet, high condition is better yet yet....take high condition along with rarity and age, you can retire early.

New models are a dime a dozen but are without doubt the sturdiest of them all but I've never seen a flattop or a three screw worn out. I personally know one guy who pushed 50K out of a standard 3 screw and that baby looked great and locked up great.

Rugers vs Colts? There's three generations of Colts ahhh....it would take 20 pages to explain it all but for the sake of sanity let's not compare the two....apples and cauliflower.

Frame sizes and grip frame variations? oh man, my head is gonna hurt.......765 x 53 posted a link..it's got to be in there...thanks 765!

ANY 3 screw is collectible.....plus you can shoot it till the cows come home.....cows don't come home if you know anything about cows.......don't beat it and it will rise in value.....market is soft right now on collectibles.....some guns are still hot and the flattop Rugers are holding their own pretty good as are large frame double action Colts......that last one is a bubble as far as I'm concerned...there ain't a Python ever made that's worth 4K.

Till another time---6
Model A Uzi’s
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

Bridger wrote: Sun Aug 25, 2019 10:59 pm
I have had a strong desire for an original, unconverted, 3 screw Ruger Blackhawk.

I get confused reading about it, but apparently there are 3 different Blackhawk frames.

Can you elaborate??

Ruger Blackhawks were issued in different frame sizes at one time or another.

Image Image

Additionally confusing is that the recent New Blackhawk (not the New Model Blackhawk) has a 2-pin (ILO a 3-screw) frame the same size as the earlier OM Blackhawks.

Bridger
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Bridger »

Thank you for the info you guys! And for the link provided in the first post. I knew y'all would have some useful input.
So, is it possible to get a 3 screw, super Blackhawk in 44 mag with a 4.5" or thereabouts barrel that was factory? I really like the looks of the square trigger guard but it seems like they all have a 7.5" barrel which is just too long for my tastes. Or if they have a shorter barrel than 7.5" it was cut down at some point.

I hear ya on the Python, Six. I really want one to go in my collection cause they're just pretty but I figure my Troopers are functionally the same thing just cheaper....
"The best argument against democracy
is a five minute conversation with the average voter."

- Winston Churchill
Bronco
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Bronco »

I am astounded by the Python prices! Glad I still have mine. Bought it in 68 for $175.00, with a 100 rounds included. :mrgreen: It is a pretty one. It also shows some wear, it never was a safe a safe queen.
Gettin old ain't for sissies!
There just has to be dogs in heaven !
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

Bridger wrote: Tue Aug 27, 2019 12:52 am
So, is it possible to get a 3 screw, super Blackhawk in 44 mag with a 4.5" or thereabouts barrel that was factory ?

Nope...…………………………Although, professionally-shortened (aka: custom) Old Model SBH's appear F/S every now & then.

Old Model SBH's were made with 7-1/2" barrels, except for some rare ones issued with 6-1/2" barrels - anything shorter was done after it left Ruger.

However, New Model (2 pins ILO 3 screws) SBH's were available with a 4-5/8", a 5-1/2", a 7-1/2" or a 10-1/2" barrel.

The New Model SBH 4-5/8" barreled specimen I had, bought new, was issued with a round TG - also available with the 5-1/2" bbl.

Both round TG versions had the smaller XR3-RED gripframe ILO the larger SBH Dragoon square back TG gripframe.

Last edited by Pete44ru on Tue Aug 27, 2019 6:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

I have one of those 5 1/2"s.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Old Savage wrote: Tue Aug 27, 2019 11:15 am I have one of those 5 1/2"s.
Can I have it?---Your pal--6
Model A Uzi’s
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

It is too new for you ;-) Only 40 years old.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

6 - Looking back at some old targets. The .45 Three Screw is in there just wanted to see where it wanted to shoot. Then the one shot at 47 yds with the 1911 ;-) know when not to shoot a second and one M29. Not sure what it is with the first or one shot off with me.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.