Range report Model 1886 in 40-65

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
win40-82
Levergunner 2.0

Range report Model 1886 in 40-65

Post by win40-82 »

I bought this 86 in 40-65 at an auction July 27 and finally got to put some rounds thru it. I had all of the components, dies, brass, bullets, primers and lots of 5744. After a few days I got around to giving it a very good cleaning and after doing so the bore looked better than I had thought. At this point I got busy and made up a couple dummy rounds which I found would not chamber. I messed around and resized some other brass with same results so set everything aside for a few more days. I had a similar problem once with a 40-82 so started checking the size of the bases. It was all resized 45-70 brass being mostly Winchester. Upon measuring I found them to be .502 but found one head stamped R-P that measured right at .498, I took that piece and full length sized it - bingo that was the solution. I found a total of 12 pieces of the R-P, some 40-65, some 45-70 and some in 45-90. I had fun cutting to length and sizing properly but not loading them up. That evening I visited the Buffalo Arms web site looking for some R-P 45-70 brass when I noticed an ad for Starline 40-65 brass that said it was guaranteed to fit tight chambers, ordered 50 right then. Once arriving I checked them they worked as promised. I loaded 4 rounds with some of own cast bullets from an original Winchester 40-65 mold, 4 rounds of gas checked bullets I got from a friend and 5 rounds of a commercial hard cast. All were about 260 grains. The commercial ones were .408 and the other two were .406. I loaded each with 23.5 gr of 5744. All rounds were shot from a rest. The first 4 rounds I tried were with my home cast bullets. I checked the the target after each round and after the third round I got pretty excited. I’ve shot a number of these older Model 86 Winchesters but never have had a group like this one. Sheer luck? Who knows? But one heck of a group for sure. Of the other two loads the gas check did well, about 1.25 for 3 rounds and a called flyer. The commercial was terrible, about 4 inch group for four of them and unexplained flyer another 3” away from those. Have some gas checks on order so will do a little more testing when they arrive.

there is no such thing as a miss if you still have ammo
Malamute
Member Emeritus

Re: Range report Model 1886 in 40-65

Post by Malamute »

I think youre on to something there.

Ive grown more interested in the medium calibers in recent years, the 40-65 is a good general purpose load. Not everything needs to be able to thump grizzlies or moose, though with good loads it may do whats required even there.
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-

Isnt it amazing how many people post without reading the thread?
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

Wow, you made that look easy! Well done you 8)
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Well, I guess we can say Winchester also made a great mold! Very nice target.
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Nothing to complain about there! Buddy of mine has an 86 in 40-65 and it's a tack driver too. He also has a factory mould. His grandfather bought it new.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Marvin S
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Marvin S »

I think we’re missing something here, like a photo of the rifle. Looks like a nice group.
win40-82
Levergunner 2.0

Post by win40-82 »

I don't take great photos but here is what I got. The best part of the rifle is the bore and its great. Does have some case coloring in spots along with the patina, the wood has had a coat of varnish over the top (and not a good job at that) wood doesn't have any cracks, some dings but nothing serious. I'm guessing 85% blue on the barrel and about 90% on the tube finally the bolt is very good. The sights are very good.

Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Mmmmmmm....that's the load I use...23.5 grs.....you will find a gas checked bullet will eliminate flyers......back in the day, it was common practice to heavily clean the bores ...for obvious reasons.....but those metal rods would play hell on the crowns of the relatively soft steel.

I use a 270 gr. FPGC mould from NEI.....don't think they are in business anymore....they stuck me for a couple of hundred bucks a few years ago....I "hear" the owner had a problem with his nose...dunno.....stopped answering e mails and even a registered letter....just a heads up....I would not trust the guy with enough money for a box of toothpicks.

Yes....common issue with tight chambers of that last quarter inch.....good work with the r-p brass.....that was not even good enough for me.....sometimes it's not the base but the needed size of a .408 bullet that causes the hard chambering the same way 38-55's cause it. I had a custom inside neck reamer made by Forster for my 40-65 and 40-82 Winchesters.

If you don't have a lathe...and I don't....Bases are easily reduced by inserting a case spinner in a drill press.....put the case on the spinner, put the fast pulley on the drill press...spin it fast and hold 80 grit sandpaper on the area about 1/2" up from the rim. Or even hold a file against it.....polish it up with steel wool to take out the marks...if you don't like marks.

Put a decent tang sight on it and you will bust beer cans with it out to 300 meters. Next weekend is our "buffalo match" where I use a 40-82 Hi-Wall with an MVA scope on targets out to 500 meters....lots of fun and even more fun than the other guys who use new Sharps rifles.---6
Model A Uzi’s
M. M. Wright
Advanced Levergunner

Post by M. M. Wright »

That is one gorgeous 86 pard. Great report and please let us in on future range time. Keep the pics coming.
M. M. Wright, Sheriff, Green county Arkansas (1860)
Currently living my eternal life.
NRA Life
SASS
ITSASS
win40-82
Levergunner 2.0

Post by win40-82 »

Just happen to have a very decent Winchester mid-range sight.

Bullard4075
Senior Levergunner

Post by Bullard4075 »

+1
"Any man who covers his face and packs a gun is a legitimate target for any decent citizen"
Jeff Cooper
KirkD
Desktop Artiste

Post by KirkD »

Very nice '86 and an excellent group for your home-cast bullets. I would suggest that your home cast bullets are soft-cast (air cooled?). Commercial bullets are usually hard cast bullets to facilitate faster and easier casting. In my own experience, I've found that soft-cast bullets work much better in these old guns than hard cast bullets.
Kirk: An old geezer who loves the smell of freshly turned earth, old cedar rail fences, wood smoke, a crackling fireplace on a snowy evening, pristine wilderness lakes, the scent of
cedars and a magnificent Whitetail buck framed in the semi-buckhorn sights of a 120-year old Winchester.
Blog: https://www.kirkdurston.com/
win40-82
Levergunner 2.0

Post by win40-82 »

by KikD
"Very nice '86 and an excellent group for your home-cast bullets. I would suggest that your home cast bullets are soft-cast (air cooled?). Commercial bullets are usually hard cast bullets to facilitate faster and easier casting. In my own experience, I've found that soft-cast bullets work much better in these old guns than hard cast bullets."

I use a 30 parts lead to 1 part tin and do air cool. I also try to stay away from hot loads. Next time out I'll try to chrony, I'll post results here.