The Gun Room

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Re: The Gun Room

Post by GunnyMack »

Ha!- freedom my butt, been hustling trying to tie up loose ends! Yesterday was a door install. Today I'm making some custom trim. Tomorrow I gotta go fix some exterior trim.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Jay Bird

Post by Jay Bird »

Yes.....freedom Gunny........you pretty much, by the way I understand it, you work for yourself....now, it's going to be "for the man" :D like I did since 1968...........oh well, we are all pawns in a kingdom and after 40+ years we get a few years to be ourselves.....but it just ain't the same when you don't feel the same way you did in your 20's-50's....

I'm bored.....woods all split...don't feel like cleaning guns or loading ammo....200' feet of fence that needs to be replaced..F. it....turn on Fox News and get all aggravated......Hannity had me so aggravated last night, I turned the channel half way through....now there's pictures of Biden and his son golfing with this exec from the gas company....the same one Biden claims to have no affiliation with.....the war drums are beating in this country........now ya know why "they" want our AR's.....---6
Jay Bird

Post by Jay Bird »

Gunny.....YOU WON! Well done!......because it's a special day, I just might award you a special prize that's coming on Oct. 4th from a fine friend in California.....not sure yet...gotta wait to see if he passes "the good boy test".---6
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

10/5 He can have one of my logs but not the good one.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

40+ years self employed so I can use this organizational model for my consultation office.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

I'm surrounded by hardwood trees, not sure I need a length of walnut? Although I'd rather have an ugly log- that's where figure comes from and I LOVE fancy wood! :D

I didn't know I won the page! How many is that? 3?4?? Heck I'd settle for a 210-220 mould in 41 !
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

I hear you Six. I don't shoot in matches or for small groups so the ALG is good enough for me.
Don't get me wrong, I'd like to have a nice cartridge type trigger, though.

Gunny,
Yeah, Six is right. I've got almost 32 years in punching a card for someone else. There is less stress than shouldering the whole thing yourself, but you have to keep it in perspective and not care too much. You'll go nuts, otherwise.
"Oh bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round.
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

I hear ya, I made the mistake of thinking the lumberyard was mine when I worked there. 10 years there, otherwise I've been bending nails for a living. The lumber yard was a time clock and I didn't get squat out of it- other than way too much stress!!
Sure I'm going to miss the freedom of doing what I want when I want but I'm really going to look forward to getting paid every week!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Jay Bird

Post by Jay Bird »

Ok...read the posts.....yes, there is a difference between smart people and stupid people......smart people learn early on that the only way to make real money is to be in business for yourself.....like Old Savage. The rest of us think we're gonna be rich by working overtime.....nope.....

Being in business for yourself takes a special personality....like my Uncle Frank, my dad's brother....this guy built up a building supply business in New Jersey and forty years ago he had 5 BIG houses around the country and Mexico....a fleet of antique cars..on and on.....and I NEVER saw him wired out. He shouldered more in a week than the average guy does in a year....he loved it having a million things going on.....always pleasant, unassuming, generous....a great guy. He will be 90 in January and still drives to his house in Florida which is IN Disney World..... me and my dad.....the opposite, unable to handle extreme stress.

Yea...most of us are peons, driving the same vehicle year after year.....doing our own repairs.....

Gotta go clean my guns from the weekend.---6
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

You're right, Six. I DO NOT work overtime. The older you get, the more valuable your time is. You never get it back.
I also realize there are worse things than being poor. I don't begrudge anyone who is successful. They worked harder than I would be willing to to get what they have.
You have to be happy first. Money will NOT make you happy.
Jay Bird

Post by Jay Bird »

Jay...right on bro! Up until I was around 35 or so I was forced to work 10 hour days........from about there on I was high on the seniority list and was able to turn it down......started there when I was 18...........I still was forced occasionally in the summer and a few Saturdays.....by the time I was 50 I was number 2 on the seniority list and I don't believe I worked 30 hours of OT from then until 62.....

Used to laugh my butt off when in the lunchroom some guys would be bragging, "oh man! I made $2100 last week!" Big deal, they worked doubles everyday and brought home $300 more than me! :D overtime would pay OK up until about 10 hours OT...after that, about half went to the Feds.

I learned early on its not how much money you make but how you manage what you have. Pilfering from time to time will help keep ya in the black. (Read below)

If I had to do it all over again I never would have worked at all. I would have just bought a thin buffalo coat for the summer and put a liner in it for the winter and just shoplifted my way through life. Food shopping, midnight auto supply, gun shows, other people's gun rooms etc......----6 :D
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Yup. Eight to ten is the magic number, but I bet I haven't worked overtime in 6 years.
Yeah.......if I'd had that buffalo coat when I was 18, I'd of never had to work. :D
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

I'm up! Gotta go fix some exterior trim today, on the 2nd floor. Hoping I can do it from inside the house so I don't have to screw around with a ladder!

7 of the 10 years I was at the yard were 6 days a week. Was 5 hours OT each week. Sure big OT makes your paycheck look good but as Corn Pop says the taxman is the only winner!

So 25 years ago today I busted my left wrist while bow hunting...Where has time gone!

Well I guess I'm now officially OLD ?
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Jay Bird

Post by Jay Bird »

HAPPY BIRTHDAY MASTER GUNNY!!!! No, you are not old...this is how I've always looked at it....1-40 is young.......40-64 is middle aged......65-till dead is OLD......me, Griff, and Old Savage are young old....you, Jay, and Tommy are in the middle of being middle aged.

I've always looked at old at around late seventies......like Joe Biden..he's old....Corn Pop, the black gangster who had a show down with Joe Biden is DEAD....he was 73........I'm amazed that an individual who lived a life of drinking and drugs, poor eating, etc could actually live to be 73. I wish the hell Joe would go meet him.

Good ole Corn Pop....At least Corn Pops real first name wasn't Cleotis or latashiwanka or some other crud.....Joe Biden couldn't run for president until Corn Pop died. Joe said he looked over his shoulder for over 50 years. :D -----Corn Pop Jr.

Jay Bird

Post by Jay Bird »

Oh..forgot...Gunny...if you want to be older than middle middle aged, use a harness when hanging outside backward on the second floor. :D ---CP jr.
Jay Bird

Post by Jay Bird »

OK Master Gunny...or anyone......how do I kill this woodpecker?....short of standing outside all day with .22 birdshot....or poisoning as I like a sporting challenge. -----C.P.

GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

410 !

Go buy yourself some of those sticky glue traps a fasten to the wall , if the woodpecker hits just right itll be stuck and then just go shoot it. The question yu need to ask yourself is WHY is it drilling holes in your barn? Since they eat insect grubs does your siding show any rot?
Have you seen it actually go inside through the hole? Maybe it is prepping for next breeding season? Build a box to go inside as a nest box but put in a glue trap!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
harry
Senior Levergunner

Post by harry »

Put a security camera out there and when you see him wait until he goes in the hole, then run out there and when he sticks his head out grab him by the pecker.
Trump 2024

All responses have been cleared by the law firm of "Elmer and Fudd."
Jay Bird

Post by Jay Bird »

harry wrote: Wed Oct 02, 2019 12:40 pm Put a security camera out there and when you see him wait until he goes in the hole, then run out there and when he sticks his head out grab him by the pecker.
You sick bas...d! :D (I'll give ya credit, that was good...now, let's see what Gunny comes up with)

Ok, I filled in five "starter holes" with PC-7 epoxy.....I'm gonna file the hole he made real nice and round and cut out and fit an accordingly sized piece of wood and epoxy and paint that......now.....to keep him from coming back I consulted the internet and hung shiny aluminum strips that move around with the wind.

Must be the same bird from last year but he never got "through" to the other side.....I built a real nice wood pecker bird house and put it on a tree ten feet away but he never used it.

It's just one of those things in life where I don't want to sit around for three days looking at that hole waiting for the bird to show up so I can give him a load of #12's from a .22.

Well, at least this is giving me some "direction" and something meaningful to do besides shooting and loading ammo. :D ---6
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Hey! Happy Birthday Gunny! I guess according to Corn Pop (I been chuckling over that for days), we be middle-middle aged. :D

Corn Pop,
Sheet rock screw a rat trap right where he's workin'. You can even make a little perch for the pan.
He'll be right there waitin' for ya.
Jay Bird

Post by Jay Bird »

GunnyMack wrote: Wed Oct 02, 2019 12:04 pm 410 !

Go buy yourself some of those sticky glue traps a fasten to the wall , if the woodpecker hits just right itll be stuck and then just go shoot it. The question yu need to ask yourself is WHY is it drilling holes in your barn? Since they eat insect grubs does your siding show any rot?
Have you seen it actually go inside through the hole? Maybe it is prepping for next breeding season? Build a box to go inside as a nest box but put in a glue trap!
Gunny....sorry...missed your post....I'm consumed at the moment....I've got some of those sticky glue traps...use em on wolf spiders in the basement.........oh man, I'd rather just shoot it and be done.

Your right....WHY is he doing this? Beings it's this time of the year, the obvious is winter nesting as there are zero insects in or on the barn and mating season is not until spring......

Nope on the .410...too powerful...don't want to fill in holes.....the only thing left is .22 b.s or maybe, just maybe, I can sit a hundred yards away so he don't get scared and give him a 77 gr. Sierra Match King from the M-4. I can sit watching from the side so I don't shoot the barn. But heck, the bullet might travel to Concordville 2 miles away and pop someone driving down Rt. 1.---6
Jay Bird

Post by Jay Bird »

Hey! A rat trap! Now that's the best one yet! Ooohhhhh...I'm excited,,....gonna head down to the hardware store and spend $20 on a 10 cent bird....

But....it'll be fun!--6
Jay Bird

Post by Jay Bird »

Jay....I'm sitting in bed with the AC on full...it's 92 outside......and I just went and looked at Corn Pops picture......I'm laughing my thing off.---6

You have to picture Joe Biden and Corn Pop going head to head......that all happened about 10 miles down the road in Wilmington, De. back in the sixties. Good ole Corn Pop------C.P. Jr.
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Joe has been known to tell "stories".

Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Three days and six minutes until Freedom Day for the 32-20.

Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Good ole Corn Pop Jr be knowin what these are. Under is an xray of the pin in my right arm with me since 1975.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Well the power is back on! Went out just before 11 and back on at 310.

I still say use a 410 loaded with #12s would surely cure the problem! I had 12s years ago, after learning it was about useless for everything but vermin it got relegated to rat shooting.

Few days ago I got 6 rat traps, the plastic easy set kind for my fall chipskunk trapping. So far I've got 2 wood rats, about 16 chipskunks and 2 labradors!! Winnie decided to chew on one and WHACK right on the nose! Then Parker decided she needed to investigate and SMACK on the chin. They steer clear of them now!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Jay Bird

Post by Jay Bird »

Welll....Corn Pop says Old Savage gonna be a happy dude in a few days. And Corn Pop says dogs and rat traps don't go together. Corn Pop also says Old Savage is the bionic man and probably can't pass through a metal detector.

Fred...as i live just 5 or 6 miles from Delaware, I know a lot of people from there.....even know a contractor who did work for Biden as Biden lives maybe 10 miles from here.....he's a loser drunk......won't pay his bills to the "little people". And then there's the story on how his first wife and kids died in the car wreck...he was definitely drunk and the De. State police covered that one up

yep...I work fast...used my gun stock skills to fix that hole. Made a 1 and 1/2" plug, filed out the original hole nice and round....quick setting epoxy and a few dabs of paint/stain.---C.P. Jr.

Here...I'll make it easy for ya. The hole was one o'clock from the 3" circle of sunlight right between the ladder sides, even with the top of the ladder
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

That'll work just fine. I'm thinking it's a young of the year bird and it just needs to peck its wild oats! :lol:

Didnt know sleepy joe was a drunk, explains a lot about that scumbag. No wonder he keeps tripping over his own tongue!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Holy smokes, buddy. 92 degrees? It's 52 here. They are saying maybe some snow tonight up north.

I can believe that about Sleepy Joe. He looks like a scumbag.......but with all the arrogance of those that think they're above everyone else.
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

I can believe that about Sleepy Joe. He looks like a scumbag.......but with all the arrogance of those that think they're above everyone else.
[/quote]

Those are called LIBERALS!

Well we got some rain over night, more to come thru the day- we really need it. After all the rain we had we went from mid August till now with no rain!

I see Squirmy Sanders had heart surgery, gee now maybe he can move more than his hands when he talks. Gotta say he just looks like a beaten down blue collar type - NOT a life long politician that has never done any hard work... guess that's what happens when ya live with your head up yer but?
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Jay Bird

Post by Jay Bird »

Hey Gunnny....I agree on the Bernie deal......he sure ain't polished in the looks dept........I've always felt his heart is in the right place but his brain is somewhere on the dark side of the moon.....you figure, after 78 years he would have learned a thing or two on economics.

Hey!!!!!!!!!! Big bore handgun match this Saturday!!!!! We knocky down steel animals. I think it the last one of the year.

Hey!!!!!!!!! Gun show this weekend in Oaks, Pa. 1200 tables...and.....and......it's a Friday-Sunday gig.......I'm thinking Friday...walk the aisles before the trench coat wearing Philly crowd gets there. Interested? Tommy Boy....interested?
Jay Bird

Post by Jay Bird »

Gunny.....mom is getting ready to order Black Rifle coffee..".what kind is the smoother.....---6
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

I like the Gun Ship. I tried a couple of their blends and the GS was my taste.

Tom asked me about hitting Oaks but I'm tied up all weekend, work party at the hunting club and I'm blasting ZZ birds on Sunday!

It's obvious that Flapping Bernie has no clue how,when,where,why an economy works. Typical BS artist!!! Every time I see any of these libatards I'm reminded of the scene from history of the world pt1. BULLSH1T, BULLSH1T as they are walking out of the senate in Rome :lol:
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Jay Bird

Post by Jay Bird »

Oh yea....History of the World ...part 1 :D funny...my favorite part was when the emperor lifted up his butt and farted when he was on the throne.

GS? Was on their website and found JB.SS, and those other two which are strong.....we bought the variety pack to test em out.....

Yea....maybe I'll catch up with Tommy Boy.......

Funny thing, I can't find anyone who is dissatisfied with Trump......looks like just the fake news and the upper echelon of Dems who are not happy..........CANT WAIT TILL THE NOV ELECTON NEXT YEAR AND SEE THEIR FACES!---6
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

I tried the SS, and another one but as I said I liked the Gunship best.

Yup I know I'm happy with Trump, as far as I'm concerned he can stay in office another 20 years! :lol:

Must be Thursday- I'm at the chiropractor! :D
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Are ya happy now Pop?! The weather is more to my liking now that's for sure. Yesterday was 53, rainy all day- even started a fire in pellet stove. I like to do an early test fire to make sure it's working before the need arises so if repairs to it need doing I'm not stuck waiting.

Well our fall stocking has been called off, not enough water... 15 CFS is not good, should be 80 CFS or so. But we are going to have a work party tomorrow to clean up a bunch of down trees in the river.

Going to kill a few clay birds today with a couple of guys from the club.

Tom must be up to his ears in alligators- I texted him yesterday but no reply? I've got some 32 SH COLT brass that I think is what he has a rifle for...?
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Some more tinkering and I got the 410 press making some real nice 2 1/2"er's. Learned a few things, new AA hulls are JUNK, brass splits when sized, also short OAL needing an over shot card. The old AAs load just fine. Remington hulls must have an over shot card too.
I'm trying to get all these hulls loaded before winter. Why? Ya got me! :D but now I can try the 2 different slugs in the short hulls, maybe they won't be as high shooting.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Jay Bird

Post by Jay Bird »

Yea Gunny.....Tom is either busy or is hanging out at an opium den......

I'm putting together a "prize package" for you...not much.....some Osage orange chunks, a 3' x 10-12" walnut log with burl, .410 card wads and some other stuff I'll think of along the way for when we do catch up.

Yea bro.....FINALLY! DRY WEATHER!!!!!!!!!! COOL WEATHER!!!!!!! Must have been the worst weather I've experienced here in 65 years with 44 of them in the Sixgun homestead.

Thinking here....the Oaks show is also on Friday...opens at 1.....think I'll go ....this way I can also go to the handgun match tomorrow. I have a real nice 1878 Colt "Alaskan" in 45 L. Colt I'm tired of looking at....think I'll make some loot today.---6
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Weather was not too bad here, less than a half inch of rain. Wind is cooking right along today, typical after a good strong cold front!
Went and shot some clay birds this morning, tried out some of my 410 and 28 ga reloads. Shot up a bunch of OLD 410 reloads, couple must not have had powder as they went BLOOP and the shot went about 20 feet!
I tell ya that old high standard 410 with Skeet choke just breaks everything I point it at! Reminds me of jump shooting ducks up at the farm. Geeze that was 35 years ago!!!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

You know, Six, I'm a little jealous. I can't imagine having so much cool stuff that you can sell something like that and it's no big deal.
Good for you, man. You worked hard and focused your efforts for a lot of years. Of course, it didn't hurt being in a target rich environment. :D
Jay Bird

Post by Jay Bird »

Ok, ok, back from the gun show.....very nice to go on a Friday.....wide open aisles.....Somewhat busy but far from being crowded like it is on Saturdays......lot of good buys....3 digit standard Model 71 in 95% with the bolt peep for 23.....four digit deluxe 71 with the bolt peep for the same price...23....but.....while the finish was 98% there was poor storage on it....some places were like new and others rusted....not deep rust but enough that won't clean up.

Thanks Jay.....BUT, I HAVE A SECRET I'VE NEVER TOLD YOU GUYS.....you know that buffalo coat you have that helps with collecting nice guns? WELL.....I have a wooly mammoth extra large trench coat...yea baby, I like to have the upper hand...I'm a bit older than you and have gained a bit more wisdom.

Spent some stupid money on more stupid crud.
New Trump banner......three hats...... 300 feet of orange military para cord......can of Rem-oil....and two 30 rd.P -mags that are 300 B.O. specific.

On that little piece of paper is springs, bolt carrier cotter pins, and detents for AR's....that kind that go...boooiiinnnggg when released

Last edited by Jay Bird on Fri Oct 04, 2019 4:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Ok now you need a flagpole mount for your Jeep to put that on !
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Jay Bird

Post by Jay Bird »

Gunny......there's more than one pick up truck around here that have poles in the "bed holes" behind the cab that fly Old Glory...and a few others.... :D Next year I'm gonna have quite a display out front.....fenced in with barb wire like I did last time....motion detector lights and warning signs. Last 2016 everytime I was seen in the front yard, people would beep the horn with thumbs up.

Loaded up the Jeep with the gear for tomorrow. Might even shoot the afternoon .22 bench rest match after the handgun match.....1/4 scale animals at 75...100.....150..200.

No ZZ birds......yet....-----6
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Woke up early this morning- 0420! Well my bladder woke up and I had to follow!
Tree removal work party today at the hunting & fishing club. We have quite a few frees fall into and across the river. I got the quad loaded up with my selection of chains yesterday, chainsaw and a few other odds & ends .
Tomorrow is ZZ birds!

Good luck with the silhouettes! Hope you clean every bank for the WIN!

Changed my BRCC subscription, now a bag every 14 days instead of 21 days- keep running out!

39degrees this morning!!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Jay Bird

Post by Jay Bird »

39?...wow! 42 here.

Blew the handgun match today......I was too lazy to cast H&G bullets last week so I used commercial ones I had...tested out a few and while they were not as good as mine, they weren't bad. Theeeeennnnn like the dope I can be, I decided to use my back up model 29 which I found out HATES those commercial bullets. Missed every chicken, and half of everything else. Oh well, we ain't winning Cadillacs.

The afternoon .22 benchrest match was fun. I shot a respectable 19x40 with an untried rifle with a 110 year old 5x dull scope against Remington 40x, model 52's, anshutz rifles with 15-30 power scopes. Most of those guys wind up in the mid to high 20's on windy days like we had. I ran out of elevation after the 150 meter turkeys and had to aim about 14-18" over the 200 meter rams and a foot to the right due to the high winds...tough shooting....I'm gonna build something proper for the next match but they may be awhile as the match season is wrapping up.

So ...did OS get his new toy?--6
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Toy, why toy! This is a serious working gun. ;-) I expect you over at the topic. Cleaning, measuring, checked the case fit to cylinder of all the generously supplied brass. Check your sources but I think it is actually a 30-20 as Taffin mentioned. Btw, nice guy, he and I had an interesting series of correspondence in my 44 Spl days.

Jay Bird

Post by Jay Bird »

OK..
Headed over!!!!!!
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Let me revise. Measurements of .312 at both cylinder mouth and muzzle. So, 32-20.

GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

I was wondering how your match went. I SHOULD admonish you for not sticking with your 'match' gun but I do the same thing and switch back and forth with my perazzi's.

Boy what a fubar dream last night! I'm at the ZZ Bird world championship, can't find my buddies, can't find the course- just walking in circles! Every time I got back to the start I had to pay match fees again!

Waiting for a range report on your new Blackhawk 32-20. Bet that is going to be a joy to plink with!

Dunno about you guys but it sure looks to me sleepy joe is guilty by his reactions, flailing sanders and a heart attack, they are falling apart :D - NOT FAST ENOUGH though!

Coffee- gotta get my tuckus in gear! Out to Bernville to kill ZZs today!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!