The Gun Room

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Jay Bird

Re: The Gun Room

Post by Jay Bird »

Well, Old Savage posted his dooryard, complete with new unused bicycle, barbecue, cooler...you know, easy California living.....

Griff.....it is "operator error".....whether it manipulation of the gun or the ammo manufactured...now! Get under that bus!

That deuce and a half with the cable holding up the house is extremely funny....but wouldn't fly around here....they condemned a half dozen half mil houses because they were slightly "racked" from the tornado.....they don't look bad to me, other than cosmetic damage. I can still do pretty much what I want to do as there is no home owner's assoc.to deal with....but we police our own around here except when it comes to shooting....cops were here twice in the last two months here...each time telling me "it's cool" as it was a miserable liberal neighbor who don't know the laws.

I was just on the roof in my long underwear....f em if they don't like it. :D . ......my wood pile is more important...it represents freedom and independence from society and the energy companies.

Another view from the ground. I guess you could call it the dooryard....I'm standing in front of the front door.

My junk pile...a 1920's glider I've been meaning to restore...a bucket of wheelweights, old house jacks, roll of barb wire, old fans I need to take to the junkyard, cinder blocks from Maine (cheap up there) and lots of metal stock, pipes, plates, things I use around here.--6

Last edited by Jay Bird on Tue Nov 26, 2019 1:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jay Bird

Post by Jay Bird »

I won! Sure is a fast moving post...the fastest on Leverguns.......maybe we should start charging admission.---6 :D
harry
Senior Levergunner

Post by harry »

Sixgun Sr wrote: Tue Nov 26, 2019 1:20 pm I won! Sure is a fast moving post...the fastest on Leverguns.......maybe we should start charging admission.---6 :D
Sounds good, you can pay me with that pile of wood
Trump 2024

All responses have been cleared by the law firm of "Elmer and Fudd."
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Nice pile of wood, buddy! Now throw a blue tarp over it and it'll be just like here! :D

Yeah. I should have taken a picture of that place with the truck years ago. Doubt it's still there but maybe.......
If they zoned some of these areas there'd be nowhere to live. :D
"Oh bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round.
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Six, I will have you know that Specialized Stump Jumper Sport is 33 years old. Broke my right clavicle in two places coming off it, xrays available upon request. The large Weber is over 40 years old.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Six wins a page! But I don't think you need a prize after seeing your pile of treasure!
Boy you guys were awful talkative while I was out wiring the shed for lights!

Even Tom checked in- Good talk the other day! How's your hand after using it to fend off your Doberman? How much did you say he weighs?

1300 horse power!? Sign me up, I won't hold the house up, I'll pull it over!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

OldWin wrote: Tue Nov 26, 2019 5:33 amWhoa Griff!
If you notice, I did no "shooter blaming" in your unfortunate 1911 experience. :D
Glad you got it sorted out.
Yea, guess I shoulda been more specific with that "you guys" appellation! And Gunny's comment was borderline... so that leaves... :P

Yep, got to comparing the bullet I was calling a H&G 68 to the ones outta my mold... these have a slightly longer nose, and it's been truncated to a flat point. I'll have to measure them all, test a few shorter ones to see if they'll feed, then run them all thru my seater...maybe I'll be able to use 'em afterall!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

I never said anything about operator headspace- I'm my defense :D .
You are not alone in this OS- I know I have put some ammo together, get to the range and it doesnt feed, or grabbed to wrong box of ammo, forgotten the magazine
Heck one time I even forgot the gun!! Even worse one time I misplaced my K22- looked for it for days until my college roommate walked down into the silage pit and there it sat on a stump where I left it when I ran to answer the phone!!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Jay Bird

Post by Jay Bird »

GunnyMack wrote: Tue Nov 26, 2019 2:25 pm Six wins a page! But I don't think you need a prize after seeing your pile of treasure!
Yep! I WON again and lookee what I won......I've been on a roll lately...the stars and planets are lined up.....my aura has an expansive telekinetic beam so strong it's reaching to the far corners of the universe........

THE GIANT FUNNEL IN THE SKY HAS HIT AGAIN.......yea baby ...I'm on a serious roll.

So......I go down to Targetmaster to get a Pa hunting license......get the license and started bs'en.....the worker, a great buddy is always throwing good stuff my way.....I tell him that, "I hear Nikon is getting out the scope business". His response, "yea, great scopes for the money...are you looking for something good?" Me, "well, I do have some nice scopes but I've always dreamed of a top of the line Nightforce but have an issue with their cost. ". Him...." well, this is your lucky day...some guy just came in with this...needs money....you can have it for what we have in it." He reaches under the counter and hands me this....a $1,920 scope with a $264 Larue quick detachable mount......you would cry at what I paid for it....PM's only.... :D

Hey.....I put the scope in front of the TV to take a picture.....look at the lettering on the TV!!!!!! I told ya, I'm on a roll!!!---6

Jay Bird

Post by Jay Bird »

harry wrote: Tue Nov 26, 2019 1:39 pm Sounds good, you can pay me with that pile of wood
Harry...this is 90% locust and 10% maple. The locust is one of the hottest burning wood there is...it's so hot, your not supposed to use it exclusively....should mix it.

Come on down....I pushing 20 cords of wood around here....enough for 4 years and it all won't last that long, except the locust. I'll load ya up good. (Yea, like your gonna come from Montana for wood) Gunny has all the wood he needs where he is....same with Tom.....at Jay's home state they practically give away wood it's so plentiful....Old Savage and Griff don't even need heat.

Anybody else can pay...in fact, some people don't have enough money to buy anything from me...I'd let em freeze to death just for the laughs....---6
harry
Senior Levergunner

Post by harry »

Six, I go down to Okla. every winter for a couple of weeks to deer and pig hunt. While I’m there I load up with a cord each of osage orange and white oak. About 3000 miles round trip, so your offer of some wood is not out of question. I would like to see the country side of Pennsylvania, NY, and Maine.
Trump 2024

harry
Senior Levergunner

Post by harry »

They are forecasting up to 16” of snow for us starting Thursday evening so I need to move wood from the dooryard to the doorporch, get the snowblower checked out.
Trump 2024

GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Good for ya Six! Great score on the night force- now before someone else says it - Can I have it?! Please, where's your Christmas spirit!? :lol:

Harry, you have started something now, porchyard! I keep my snowblower, quad and ranger in my shedyard. I'm not sure if I can get the quad and ranger with plow's attached into the shed at the same time? I usually keep the snow blower on my deck for clearing poopyards for the dogs.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
harry
Senior Levergunner

Post by harry »

Last winter
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Trump 2024

Jay Bird

Post by Jay Bird »

Oh Lordy....this is getting good.....Harry..I put my wood where my mouth is...for real....you show up and I'll load ya up good...plus do some serious shooting. Your living large with Osage or.....I have some...the stuff is so hard you can drill and tap it. Make ya think about a woodie!

Mounted the Nightforce on a Model A Uzi for long range stuff.

Mounted it on a civil war Colt c&b Colt

Also put it on a S&W .22 short

Last edited by Jay Bird on Tue Nov 26, 2019 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jay Bird

Post by Jay Bird »

Last edited by Jay Bird on Tue Nov 26, 2019 9:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Notice: due to the history of past contentious posts and current complaints attempts to rekindle past problems will be deleted in the interest of an acrimonious board.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Well boys, my YEAR just got made!
This afternoon I planned to go sit a blind down by the stream. Figured the old man would go sit his down in the swamp. Instead he says, "give me hand, I'm going to pull that blind outta there before there is too much snow to get in there". No prob, I says.
I ask where he is gonna sit this afternoon and he says an old ladder stand we have down on a twitch road.
I just KNEW that was gonna be the spot this afternoon.

About 4:05, I crawl out of my blind to start the 3/4 mile uphill walk out and............BOOM! I hear the old man's old 32 Trapper light off. I start hoofing up there cause we are loosing light fast. I get a text......Missed. I keep hoofing cause I'm going to check. Almost up there I cut a fresh track crossing the trail and heading his way. Then he calls........ I hit it, I got blood.
By the time I get down there and catch up to him it's getting late. It looked like it fell but got up. We went a little bit and I heard it get up. Then I saw it and it laid down but was alive. He popped her one in the noggin and we had her. Nice 140lb doe.
I drug her by flashlight down to the trail near where I got mine, walked back out and got the wheeler, and got her out. Got her hangin about 8PM.
My old man is 78. Shot that deer from a treestand with a 16" 94 in 32W.S. Last year I mounted a Turnbull barrel mount for a Burris FF on it for him.
That deer meant more to me than the 216lb buck I shot on the 8th. I hope he is still "getting it done" when he's a hundred.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Jay Bird

Post by Jay Bird »

Oh man Jay...we is ALL on a roll! You tell pops we are all proud of him.....by the picture he don't look like he needs any help...still looks "woodsy tough".

Yea....some hunts are the most memorable and this is one good year for the Jay family. What's a FF? Is that a forward mounted barrel scope? What was the load he used?

You boys are gonna eat good this winter......happy for you guys. :D ---6

PS....where do you guys hang your deer up in Maine..on cinder blocks?
harry
Senior Levergunner

Post by harry »

Congratulations to your dad, and another great memory for you.
Trump 2024

harry
Senior Levergunner

Post by harry »

PS....where do you guys hang your deer up in Maine..on cinder blocks?
[/quote]

How silly would that be, they hang them on the cable from the truck to the house.
Trump 2024

Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Great picture OW. The Old Man, the gun and the deer

Jay Bird

Post by Jay Bird »

Ya know....Harry fits right in with us misfits.......I like a guy with a sense of humor.....but.....do you think they have cable in Maine.......I heard they are still using hemp rope.

Come on Jay..where are youoooooooo? I bet you guys are celebrating big time....the bourbon is flowing in the north woods.---6
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Ah com'n Six, you know that by "cable" he means the one that's holding the house up!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Six, I can't believe that you would ask such a silly question- where do you hang your deer- where else would a Mainiac hang a deer but in the DEERYARD, :lol:

Jay glad Dad got a shot and even more happy he did not miss!

Harry, welcome to the most fun thread going!

I say keep that Nightforce on the C&B , looks right at home!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

I want to thank all you guys. I'm still pumped for the old man. :D
Man, I got all the gear put away, hit the shower, and just passed out last night.

Harry,
Bra-vo on the cable! Bra-vo! Your fittin right in!

The deer.....
We field dress in the woods, but NOT where we shoot them. We drag em out with the guts in for a couple reasons. First, it doesn't draw coyotes where your hunting area is. Second, you don't get dirt, mud, water in the cavity if you're in a rough area. It's also less to catch on stuff. We gut them where we park the vehicles.
When we get em home, we have a pine tree by the road with a pulley in it. We hoist it up head down, split the chest and pelvis with a meat saw, and take the windpipe out. Then clean out anything not needed and rinse everything with the hose to clean it and help get heat out.
Then we take it down and re-hang it head down in the garage. We like to hang them a few days depending on the weather.

The rifle, sight, load.
I have posted pics of it on the forum before. I built this for my dad as a birthday gift in about 1990. The receiver was made in 1899 and it was factory re-barreled to 32WS sometime in the 30's. It was in my buddies repair rack when I spotted the poor thing. Magazine tube was cut off, parts missing, it was sad. I asked if it belonged to anyone.......it was on!
First we cut it to 16" and put the right band and front sight on it. Then we put a saddle ring on it. It had a little headspace and I wanted to tighten it. This led us to discover the firing pin channel was crooked and we wound up replacing every part in it. I drilled and tapped it and put on a 66 Lyman. The thing turned out great and just has "the look". Great shooter too.
Dad wanted to use it again but the sights are getting tough for him. I ordered one of Doug Turnbull's sight dovetail mounts for a Burris FastFire and mounted it up last year. He does really well with it.
While I've switched to W748 in 30-30, I still use IMR3031 in the 32. It manages the pressure better IMO. Like the 30-30, I use the Hornady 170gr FP. I feed 7 or 8 32's with this load.
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

If the weather is cool enough ( under 50) and shaded a few days of hang time is great. Before the boys sold the farm we would have bambi's hanging in the barn for weeks or months. The longer they hang the more enzymes start to break down the meat= FORK TENDER! There was a couple times we were butchering in late March. If they froze solid so what. Of course when we finally got to butchering it was days of work, we would make hundreds of pounds of sausage, boy I miss those days!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

OW, very interesting story on that rifle.

OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Wow Gunny! Never hung one that long. It's plenty cold though!

Thanks OS.
It's a neat old carbine. I think it was the first Trapper we built. Done a bunch over the years. When people saw them, they would run out to my buddies shop to have him amputate one of theirs. Kept him busy for quite a while. Every once in a while, I will see an old Ketchum Special on a used rack in a gunshop.
Jay Bird

Post by Jay Bird »

GunnyMack wrote: Wed Nov 27, 2019 5:52 am where else would a Mainiac hang a deer but the DEERYARD!
I tell ya...this guy ought to write headlines for the newspapers....that was good!

Well Jay......lots of excitement up your way.......I like the way you put the trapper together....even fixed the headspace! Your dad has an open mind...I just CANNOT get used to those things that are supposed to be a modern replacement for scopes. Heck, I even have a hard time getting used to scopes.

Well...got up at 10:15 today...little early......I'm in the bath yard dropping off a Schiff yard....got to get to the wood yard....ahh forget it...that thinking goes to the accomplishments of Gunny.

Dooryard.....still laughing....never heard dat.--6
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

No Six it's a TURDYARD.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Jay Bird

Post by Jay Bird »

No Gunny....a TURDYARD is specific areas in my BACKYARD. Each dog has their own little areas where they drop off their tootsie rolls.
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Well that would be a dog TURDYARD, I've got the same here except they have a morning turdyard and an evening turdyard, each have their own spots. But they all pee where I pee !
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Happy Thanksgiving. I understand my yoga instructor is coming to ours.

Jay Bird

Post by Jay Bird »

Geeze Fred....are there any UGLY people in California? The Beach Boys and David Lee Roth must be right....."I wish they all could see California girls"....no need for the little blue pills out there I can plainly see.---6
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

She was on TV today from Beverly Hills. She has a herd of friends that look like she does.

https://apple.news/AAOblpx21RYCSi_ESS2iBvg

GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Happy Thanksgiving chaps!

Today is the 6th annual SHOOT pelosi FESTIVAL at my friends farm. We get a small sporting clays range set up, have a big breakfast, BS to your hearts content. All that is asked is everyone bring some canned food to be donated to the local food pantry.

Slept in, almost 6am when I woke up! Now I have to scramble to get my act together, shower, get the bird in the oven,go shoot and get home before it burns!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Happy Thanksgiving to all you guys! Have a great day.
Glad we got the shack, blinds, and stand seats pulled yesterday. More snow in my DOORYARD this morning. :D
Jay Bird

Post by Jay Bird »

Yep...happy Thanksgiving guys..........well, ain't got nuttin worth saying........got to meet Jay in the dooryard and Fred...easy on your delicate hands, make sure you use extra hand cream when squeezing all the soft stuff.---6
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Snow here. Six, that is a consideration, no callouses here.

GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Hehehe snow for Thanksgiving IN California!! Gotta love it.

Boy howdy did it blow yesterday!! We had some real sporty targets yesterday. Claybirds are certainly at the mercy of the wind good gust of a tailwind and they just get pushed to the ground, blown sideways, pushed up out of your pattern- it was a hoot!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

You bet. Different view from the office today.

GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

They put out a Winter Storm Warning for us here. Rain/sleet/ice for Sunday changing to snow Sunday/ Monday and changing to a Nor'Easter 3-5 ,4-8 inches . Of course the weather man lies so we could get none or clear up to our necks !
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

WTH OS!?
You've destroyed our image of your life out there!
We spend all winter here plowing snow and trying to stay warm. We tell all our friends......"Hey! We know this guy Old Savage, he is sitting back by his barbecue grill right now sipping a cold one and catching rays. He has a parade of bikini clad hotties there with him."
He's like a rock star...... and he talks to us. :D

It's all dashed!.......dashed! :D
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

I understand ;-) because it will be here 3-4 days :)

GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

So for 3 or 4 days the bikini clad will be shoveling snow? Instead of cold ones it's hot toddy's... Just like here except no bikinis just Filson Tin Cloth ,wool pants and passing a flask.

Huh, not a peep from Six, wonder if he got food poisoning ?

Well, I'll go chase some birds this morning, check my slug gun then come home and put the plow on the ranger, might put the tire chains on since they are also saying ice tomorrow... Don't like ice!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

71 degrees and we had some rain earlier this morning in Dallas. Not exactly bikini weather, but there are still going to be some women wearing tshirts and shorts.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Gunny, April is busy with Christmas prep so we are just going to have wait for it to melt.

GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Took Claro out yesterday, 2 other guys showed up. They had Remington, aka Remy , a German shorthair so Claro and I got to hunt alone- a rarity! 4 flushes and 5 shots later I had a pair of roosters, pair of hens. The first bird to flush I had gloves on and struggled to get a good first shot, hit it low, second shot was all head. NO MORE glove on right hand!

The snow hasn't started yet...
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Good shootin Gunny.
Man.....you must eat a lotta bird! :D