The Gun Room

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Jay Bird

Re: The Gun Room

Post by Jay Bird »

Howda ya like my invention? You know I like to use antique rifles in competition and now that the Low Wall is retired I decided to use my next accurate .22 rifle....a pre War Marlin......I could have put on a picatinny rail in the dovetail and used a forward mounted scope but I wanted a real deal high power quality scope without damaging the collected value.....ya notice what I did?

Not too bad for Italian/German ingenuity huh?--6. It's just a .22 so it'll work. It's solid. :D

OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Hey! You won.

Nice work buddy!

I have an idea those deer had NOBODY'S tags. They just went into the woodshed. :D
"Oh bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round.
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Probably easier to list what I don't actually listen to. Michael Jackson, Simon and Garfunkle, Queen, Jefferson Airplane/Starship, Billy Ray Cyrus, Miley Ray Cyrus, Madonna, the Beastie Boys, DJ Jazzy Jeff and Fresh Prince.
Almost anything else is open. Yes, that includes Jim Reeves, Slayer, Marty Robbins, Elvis, Pariah, Johnny Cash, Billy Idol, Journey, Metallica, Daniel O'Donnell.

Sort of like firearms, we all have our likes and dislikes.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
Jay Bird

Post by Jay Bird »

Piller.....you and I agree on music.....no rap of any kind...no stupid pop.......jimi Hendrix I like along with some of the old Motown...all other bro music can take a hike.

Yea..hey Jay..if it wasn't for that stupid gunny, I would have had five in a row and I would have won your stupid coat and got back some of my Colts.

Watching Benjamin Netanyahu on "Life, Liberty, and Levin"....he's a smart dude.--6
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Stupid ? Me? Just cuz I went to collage don't make me stupid :lol:

19 deer, that is a fairly easy legal bag limit here! Most I ever shot in one season was 16 if I remember right. That Ol boy kept having the wardens show up and take his deer so he just kept shooting another.

Since I'm stupid I'm going to comment on your STUPID scope mount...

As for music I listen to 50's thru the 80's Classic rock, old country and some classical at times. I despise MJ,Elton John, rap, pop or new country.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Jay Bird

Post by Jay Bird »

GunnyMack wrote: Mon Feb 24, 2020 6:11 am
Since I'm stupid I'm going to comment on your STUPID scope mount...

As for music I listen to 50's thru the 80's Classic rock, old country and some classical at times. I despise MJ,Elton John, rap, pop or
Hey stupid Gunny...you said you were going to comment on my stupid scope mount......even though we both are stupid I do value your opinion as a stupid MASTER GUNSMITH!!!!! Ya think it'll work? It's only a .22 and will come out of the case and on the bench.

No stupid wonder why stupid people hang together like the ball brothers......we dislike the same music....especially rap. :D -----------Stupid Six aka S.S.
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

It should work fine, just dont whack it too hard and it should hold up . Only 1 way to find out- go shoot it !!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Jay Bird

Post by Jay Bird »

Gunny,
You were right in your previous post......it's a very stupid scope.......a well meaning endeavor by me but not thought out......I tried it a couple of hours ago.....5' off on wndage and about the same on elevation......at close range.......not enough adjustment in the scope even though it's a 30 mm tube......as it's a solid non adjustable base not much could be done.......I tried a front shim between the dovetail mount and the rail.....015 made from copper brought it near right and a bit of tweaking on the rail mostly brought the windage in line...............but after the shim and the tweaking, it was not solid.....it felt solid but an experienced eye like mine knows that the smallest touch on the scope will throw it out .020 which results in 3' change of impact....

I even did a little "rough testing" and forget it.........TWO points of sold contact are needed.........it could be done by using the factory hole on top of the receiver along with the dovetail but the rewards won't overweigh the massive amount of thinking and hours of labor.......easier to just buy a target rifle.

The Krag endeavor worked as there were two screw holes which are a much better anchoring point than a dovetail.----6
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

What ya need is a long enough length of picatinny rail to get from the hole in the receiver to the rear sight dovetail. You would be set !
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Jay Bird

Post by Jay Bird »

Naaaaa...it's shelved......gonna start a new adventure tomorrow.........was thinking of buying one of those $49.99 Crickets and putting a 30" bull barrel from a model 52 Winchester on it.........then re-engineer a trigger group from a Stevens double barreled shotgun and install that....scope will be an old 600x telescope I had when I was a kid that I'll weld on using JB Weld.......oooooooooo. Can't wait to get started.---6
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

In all seriousness why don't you just put together a 10/22? Donor rifle for the action would be cheap enough, get a .920" aftermarket barrel and a laminated stock. Fairly inexpensive project and they shoot well if not great when ya bed the barrel channel stem to stern (Let the action float).

I had a Shilen barrel for mine, was futzing around with all kinds of ammo testing and some subsonic Russian ammo I had an under powered load lodge a bullet in the bore, I didn't realize that and sent another behind it- that ringed to bore at about 14" ! Turned it into a scattergun. Now it has a carbon fiber wrapped tension barrel on it- no wait that's my 10/22mag, does it have a green mountain barrel now... I don't remember!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Jay Bird

Post by Jay Bird »

Ok....that does make a lot of sense.....a few months ago I was telling you guys that I could have had a Volquartson ...full Vol., not a 10-22 with Vol. parts....for like 8....near half price....I let it slip.

It's a mental thing Gunny.....I've been there and done that.....getting involved with many different disciplines takes a toll. Every weekend there's a match of some sort and if you want to do good you have to practice....then after the match you start getting ready for next weekends match of a different discipline with different guns and different ammo.....IT BECOMES A JOB.....right now, I'm only doing about 25% of what the gun club offers and I get burnt out....

There's all kinds of shotgun shooting, NRA disciplines of every kind as in scope, metallic sights, smallbore, big bore, high power, bolt action, lever action, handgun hunter scope and sight....it goes on and on...there a few guys who do near all of it...shooting 3 disciplines in ONE MATCH simultaneously.......they are shooting every relay and changing guns. To give you an example, yesterday's match was "benchrest smallbore", .NRA smallbore silhouette, and NRA hunter smallbore pistol....ALL AT THE SAME TIME.....it gets confusing and you better pay attention while the commands are given or your in left field.......

You can look at our "shooting" section on the website with the scores and you will see different results.

Now you know why I shoot what guns I have and attempt to keep it simple or everyday will be consumed practicing and buying guns. I retired at 62.....It's play from here on in....

And beings I am only awake 12-14 hours a day doesn't give me a whole lot of time and in those 12-14 hours I am lounging around here 1/4 of it. :D .....then at home I am still married, (I think)....have animals, vehicles, other small engines, and 4 acres of fencing and yard to maintain...
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

I never owned a 10/22 till a few years ago. Basically got it for free when buying a pre war 94 carbine. It's an early first year 10/22. It's ok, but if I hadn't got it for free I still wouldn't have one.

I guess for the reasons Six mentioned, I don't care to shoot competitively. It becomes more about the competing than the shooting. Seems like it would take the fun out of it. For me at least.
Most times when I shoot, I'm all alone. It's almost therapeutic. The other times I shoot I'm with my kids, wife, dad, or all of em.
How could it possibly get any better?
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

A solid reliable .22 is probably as therapeutic when at the range just having your own fun as anything can be. Yes, there are upgrades for the 10/22 which bring it into sone expensive and accurate territory, but plain out of the box fun with it is great for stress relief. I have a .17 Winchester Super Mag caliber Savage rifle that is fun in the same way. It is laser beam accurate, but it has no recoil and you see the holes appear in the target. It has a fun snap sound. Stress relief that no Psychiatrist can equal.
D. Brian Casady
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Six, I cant remember the last time I shot any of my 22s, I've got 10/22,10/22 mag,77/22, 552,572, crackshot , hi standard field king, k22, hi standard , Mk2, probably some others I dont remember, I have them but dont use em.
Piller is spot on !
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Jay Bird

Post by Jay Bird »

Here's the reason for competitive shooting........it's another step in our hobby..........

The reason why rich people like Bruce Jenner turn themselves into women is because they are BORED.....they have all the money in the world and have traveled everywhere. Look at Donald Trump....he had everything.....being President is another step that invokes excitement in his life......

Shooting is VERY therapeutic.....I'm high strung and after a day of blasting I feel like I went 5 rounds with Mike Tyson....

Regular shooting at steel, targets, etc gets boring after many years...I've been heavy into it since I was a kid.... It's why I had to have every conceivable Winchester and Colt model and the calibers they came in. After acquiring them...loading for them...getting accuracy out of them.........THEN what do you do? Well, you HUNT with them and compete with them. You learn to work on them and learn everything you can. Antique guns have pretty much been my life.

Some guys like motorcycles, camping, drinking, whores, movies, whatever.....I like old guns....Id be extremely lost without them....that's why I don't do nothing stupid to lose that right.

Gunny......after getting a harem of Parkers...what do you do? You compete with them....pretty much the last step.....keeeps excitement in your life.......

Everyone is different ...we live ONE time and I aim (pun intended) to grab as much excitement as I can before I cross over the divide. :D

Well, there's my manifesto. ---6 o...da bro
Jay Bird

Post by Jay Bird »

So..........it was 6 pm....mom says she needs her prescription but don't feel like going....i step up to the plate and say, "relax, I'll go and get it." After I make that remark, she says, "while your at Costco, pick up two loaves of bread and some Deer Park water."

OK, I drive two miles to Costco.....have a shopping cart full of water and the bread and prescription ......go get in line and some stinking group of Muslims are ahead of me......come time for them to pay and the guy starts talking fast, gets his phone out and starts looking at it.....talking fast again.....10 minutes later I start to boil........the MF stinking Muslim is causing confusion and acting dumb while the rest of his tribe is standing there looking as stupid as they are......tick tock.......the manager comes over and tells me and a few people behind me to get in the other line that's closed......they open that register and the Muslim is still talking away most likely trying to get his stuff for nothing.....yak...yak...yak.........I pay for my stuff and start down to the exit with the Muslim right behind me as he must have figured out his issues.......I look over and he is smiling away and his tribe is laughing.........
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Sure get it, why do you think I shoot Olympic trap? Because it's the hardest clay target game going! Legal target must go 85 meters distant. Angles up to 45* L or R, various elevations with LESS than 7/8oz of shot. The US has 1 gold medal in men's single trap EVER. I've never shot a 100/100 but I have shot mid 90s, best ever was a 95. I got burned out back in 07 or so. I was running the club, holding 6 matches a year, logistics,food,prizes,Ammo, just to drive 65 miles 1 way for free plus working full time. Now I shoot for fun, if I shoot better than the pack I'm happy but in no way am I out there to win each and every thing. Plus now that I'm in the senior division I can blame it on my age! :D

That'll teach ya to volunteer! :lol:
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

I don't even own a .22. Except for Silhouette shooting, I can't think of a good reason to own one...

As for music, Rock, Country, Alt Country, Jazz, Folk, and the roots of folk music, Irish and Scottish ballads. Yep, I like to watch cloggin'! I don't understand Italian, so Operas are out... :P
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Jay Bird

Panic Time??

Post by Jay Bird »

Well...change of subject........

Facts:

1.) Americans panic easier and faster than people from other countries

2.) If the news around here announce a 2" snowfall, store shelves are cleaned out in 12 hours

3.) On real deal panic situations, government and the news will not tell us how bad things really are as they want to prevent
panic.

4.). Hardly anyone is truly prepared for a breakdown in the pipeline of necessary items of survival such as food, fuel, medicine.

5.) Once the panic begins, it's too late to stock up.

6.) Americans panic easier and faster than people from other countries...(did I already say that? :D )

Tomorrow, I'm gonna dump a couple of G's to add to what I already have.-----6

https://www.foxnews.com/health/coronavi ... icial-says
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

I'm sure some of it with me is I do other stuff. If I get bored shooting, I take a ride on the old Harley, take the Jeep and go wheeling with the club, take a sled ride, or go ice fishing in winter.

You're right, Six.
People panic easy. I've always thought one advantage I have is I just don't panic. I'm not real nervous or excitable.
I always figure you don't need too much in one place. You won't be able to stay long enough to use it. The less affected you appear to people, the more they will convince themselves and others they need what you have. I have enough on hand for a while. Mostly, I make sure I have the tools and equipment to get by somewhere else. May not be snuggled in my recliner, but I will be ok.
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Thing that gets me is how UNprepared the public is. Take hurricane Sandy , heck any hurricane- the news outlets just harp and hound about it as the storm continues it course. When Sandy was a week away I put up all my gas cans filled up,changed the oil and stocked up some extra oil for the generator. Made the grocery run, cleaned up the yard blah blah- point is I was ready. The days up to land fall there were lines at gas stations, stores were empty . Heck the lumber yard was open and people were just LOST without their lights on. Tractor trailers couldn't get up here, I made 2 trips to the warehouse in NY State for generators and gas cans, people would see me coming back through town and just swarm the store for things they SHOULD have had.
Now we need to worry about this next wave of stupid voters destroying the country. Warm up your reloaders!
Oh well coffee time.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Jay Bird

Post by Jay Bird »

Ok....my little brain is processing what you guys said......Jay...I wish I was as confidant as you and maybe it's because I live in a more "panic part of the country" and have become accustomed to it.......I don't get real panicky but when I want something, I want it and don't rely on others, whether individuals or businesses......like, I get calls, "hey, you got this or that?" I don call no one unless it s a business.

I've heard it 1,000 times....."I know where I'm going when it gets bad" ......I respond, "Maybe, but it ain't at my house". I don't want no :mrgreen: disease ridden lazy bums riding off of me....HIT DA ROAD MAN! or catch a hot 69 Gr. Sierra BTHP traveling 2700 FPS.... :D

Yea...Gunny......even when I was a kid I was th best prepared one of the group, whether it was camping, biking, playing sports..(I always had the bat, ball, and glove).....most people are lazy or stupid..not sure......

Got up today and Donald announced the country is in grea shape so I'm gonna keep my G's and rely on what he said...... :D ......naaaaaa......have a couple months supply of food in the form of MRE's.....but I am going to get add more to the fuel supply....I figure about 40 gallons of gas and 20 gallons of diesel to add to what I already have.....----6
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

I know what you mean buddy. I've always been "that guy" too. Back when I did a lot of dirt bikes and 4 wheelers, I always had a bunch of stuff with me. Usually I used it to bail others out, as my stuff was always up to snuff and squared away.
I am the same with my Jeep. My range bag too. :D
Working weird shifts, I was usually alone on my excursions, and way out in the middle of nowhere.
Even going back and forth to work. I carry a backpack with everything I need for a three day hike to get home.
Jay Bird

Post by Jay Bird »

Makes sense Jay.....were you a Boy Scout? I was and the best thing they ever taught me was "be prepared" and the next best thing was the square knot.

One of the things that really pizzas me off is this guy who attends many of the shoots........never prepared..."hey man, got a cleaning rod and a brush?" With that usually comes patches and #9.....annoying as hell....

When your traveling to work along the lonely road do you bring "The Coat" with you? :D ----6

Off the subject but these IPads with their spelling thing-a-ma-jig will put words down that I didn't write.....that's annoying too....I know how to spell..........now I'm aggravated thinking about what I wrote........."hey man, got a cleaning rod?"
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Since I was given a swiss army knife by Dad when I was 8 I have never been without it ( unless I'm flying commercial, thank you towel heads! :x ). Saw, scissors, knife, ya know I'm never without a survival tool ! Always wear boots with at least 72" laces- 12 feet of cordage! Always clothes in the trucks. Only thing lacking is stocks of food but I can shoot what I need, just cant decide what load to use on veggies! :lol:
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Yup. I was a scout.
I have "layers" of stuff. Pockets.......pack......vehicles. i usually have some redundancy too. Always guilty of that. :D
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

GunnyMack wrote: Wed Feb 26, 2020 3:43 pm Since I was given a swiss army knife by Dad when I was 8 I have never been without it ( unless I'm flying commercial, thank you towel heads! :x ). Saw, scissors, knife, ya know I'm never without a survival tool ! Always wear boots with at least 72" laces- 12 feet of cordage! Always clothes in the trucks. Only thing lacking is stocks of food but I can shoot what I need, just cant decide what load to use on veggies! :lol:
Veggies are slow moving, and seldom attack. A moderate velocity hard cast bullet works well. Massive tissue damage is not usually required. The real danger is when the beans and broccoli fight back with their chemical warfare attacks hours later. Rectal whistling is a warning alert that the vegetables are fighting back.
D. Brian Casady
Jay Bird

Post by Jay Bird »

piller wrote: Wed Feb 26, 2020 8:14 pm The real danger is when the beans and broccoli fight back with their chemical warfare attacks hours later. Rectal whistling is a warning alert that the vegetables are fighting back.
Piller.....you are now a full fledged member of the Gun Room.......you passed the undisclosed silent test which is nothing more than a test without us asking you to take it. Well done!!!!! :D "Rectal whistling".... :D :D ....I love it! (Ya know, I must have some kind of a fanny burp fetish)

Just for that, I'm going to entertain you with a story I've told before.

My BIL, who is (was) 15 years older than me told me years ago about his best friends (Bill) experience. This took place in the mid fifties about when I was born.......his friend was thumbing it and some older guy picked him up......while driving the old guy (probably 40) asked Bill if he could fanny burp and if he could he would pay him $5 for every big fanny burp but the guy wanted Bill to fanny burp directly in his face.

Well, Bill tried and tried as $5 was HUGE money in those days so he suggested they stop at the local grease pit where Bill loaded up on greasy half cooked hot dogs, fried onions, and a big bowl of baked beans....they went back out in the car and started driving around while Bill was squirming, swallowing air and pushing on his stomach so he could fanny burp but couldn't....after an hour or so the old guy let him out and drove away. Bill said his stomach was expanded and once his nerves calmed down he farted so much he crapped himself and had to throw out his underwear.

It's all true....I heard this story fifty times over the years.
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Come on Six! We're all friends here. Brother in law's friend..... :roll:
This HAD to be you. :D
That's what started the fanny burp fetish! :shock:

See Piller? Now you're IN! There's no escape buddy. You'll never be "quite right" again. :D
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

OldWin wrote: Thu Feb 27, 2020 1:38 amCome on Six! We're all friends here. Brother in law's friend..... :roll:
This HAD to be you. :D
That's what started the fanny burp fetish! :shock:
See Piller? Now you're IN! There's no escape buddy. You'll never be "quite right" again. :D
Like the rest of us, PIller wasn't "right" before! And I agree, BIL's friend... y azz, that was Sixgun! :P
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

AND... I'm over it!!
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

So if the guy wanted to be farted on and the 'friend' was trying to do it for money is this some sort of prostitution?

I thought about big & slow cast but wouldn't 7narfs be easier when cleaning the veggies?

I just read one of my favorite authors has gone over the great divide.... RIP Pat McManus! Yes I now know he left us a couple years ago.

Well finished gutting Ol GW's kitchen yesterday, nothing historical found in the walls. We did however fill a 30 yd container about 3/4 full.

I hate these stupid commercials! Liberty mutual, Expedia,Hilton ugh! Just insulting to the brain. Don't get me started on the medical drug commercials- oh and let's not forget roundup... Well not roundup as much as the lawyer commercials.

Coffee.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Jay Bird

Post by Jay Bird »

You stupid retarts.....I was only a baby or may not have even been born..this was the mid fifties....I was born in '54. NO! It was not me.....................(but I wish it was...if that happened today I'd tell the guy to pull over at the nearest supermarket where I'd buy 20 pounds of hot dogs, cheap cheese, a case of Bush's Beans, some foul smelling jerky and wash it down with Old Milwaukee beer, triple CO-2 charged seltzer water and make me a mint......I'd blow the fanny burbs so hard it would knock em out and give him a concussion.)

You guys think it's weird...it's not.....I remember this happened....read the part about "sexual abuse". There's some sick people out there.---6

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ed_Savitz
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Hows your pizza?
Tastes like SHIRT!

Boy what a day! Started tearing off the copper roof at that historic house. West wind blowing all day at 20 or more. Lots of cutting, prying and cussing!! Whoever was the nitwit that put the last copper roof on had no clue how to correctly solder a seam! Not enough flux where it belongs- inside the lock seam , not on the outside!!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

GunnyMack wrote: Thu Feb 27, 2020 5:14 pmBoy what a day! Started tearing off the copper roof at that historic house. West wind blowing all day at 20 or more. Lots of cutting, prying and cussing!! Whoever was the nitwit that put the last copper roof on had no clue how to correctly solder a seam! Not enough flux where it belongs- inside the lock seam , not on the outside!!
Wait, ain't the heat supposed to suck the flux inside? :P :P :lol:
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

AND... I'm over it!!
Jay Bird

Post by Jay Bird »

Well Gunny....sounds like you had fun today.....I went outside for 30 seconds and said "screw dis". Up on a roof in this wind and cold must have been nasty. Oh.....I remember the 44 years with about 30 of them in an unheated warehouse....hitting the dock plate on my lift and driving in the trailers used to be paralyzing.

The other "Gunny" calls me around noon and is on his way up from N.C. to his brothers in Pine Grove, Pa.....he says, "whatcha doing tomorrow?".....me, "the usual, nuttin'".......him, "let's go to the club, meet you there at 10 so you can open the gate." Me...."yea...sounds great. I'll bring this n dat." ......him..."Only thing I have is my Rock River National Match with a mess of 80 gr. Bergers for some long range shootin',........me...."great, see you at 10".......

Later....

Turn on news....look at forecast......40 mph winds...Mmmmmmm.......soon as I write this I'm gonna call him....nada...---6
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Griff wrote: Thu Feb 27, 2020 6:53 pm
GunnyMack wrote: Thu Feb 27, 2020 5:14 pmBoy what a day! Started tearing off the copper roof at that historic house. West wind blowing all day at 20 or more. Lots of cutting, prying and cussing!! Whoever was the nitwit that put the last copper roof on had no clue how to correctly solder a seam! Not enough flux where it belongs- inside the lock seam , not on the outside!!
Wait, ain't the heat supposed to suck the flux inside? :P :P :lol:
Yes but if it's not fluxed in the right places all the heat in the world won't get solder in the right places. I'm sure these homeowners took the cheapest estimate and the guy that did the work wasn't all that knowledgeable about what he was doing. This roof is 13x38. The roof panels are about 12"X 12"- lot of flux needed!

Boy I crashed last night, don't think I saw 9pm. Fell asleep with my copper knee braces on, this morning my calves were swollen- won't do that again- but my knees don't hurt! :D

Oh come on Six you can open up for Gunny and sit in the clubhouse while he freezes his sights off! :lol: we are going to be in the wind and cold again. I know working in this weather is one thing, playing in it is another!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Jay Bird

Post by Jay Bird »

Ok...I'm going.....I did call him and he called me the P word so I relented........I'm headed out in 10 minutes.

Now....you stay warm today and bundle up......curious, how long ago was that copper roof put on? Aren't they supposed to last indefinitetly?.....never heard of a copper roof.......heard of a tin roof...--6
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

12 years ago it was installed- WRONG! was probably a tin roof before. This house has been in 1 family since WW2-ish. It was leaking so badly the kitchen ceiling fell in. A layer of water was between the copper and the sheathing the whole length.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Jay Bird

Post by Jay Bird »

12 years ago????? I would be a fuming maniac as it's an easy guess it's probably 20 g's for a copper roof on a regular sized house with no valleys, etc. How thick is the copper..1/16"? I take it your going to recycle it......do the owners want the money from the recycling or did you tell them is was worthless like I probably would have. :D

Well.....me and "The Gunny" had a range fest today. I brought the little 10" AR Commando and machine gunned a hundred rounds just to wake up with the binary trigger.....no one else was there so I was able to get away with dat. Also brought the 1894 Marlin 44-40 for sight settings for lever action silhouette. Gunny had his Rock River AR and a couple of 1911's...one of them in 10mm which I happily helped deplete his ammo supply.

Cold...windy....not a great day. The highlight was when Gunny got a foam earplug stuck in his ear after the string broke. He asked me if I could get my needle nosed Leatherman to pull it out so I got the Leatherman and yanked on his ear lobe. Man! did he jump!!!.... :D ---6
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Yeah the copper has gone to the scrap yard, or is tomorrow. The guy I'm working for says itll be gas money for his boat when we go salt water fishing !
This new roof is about 12 grand to replace. Again if it was done right the first time it would have been a 100 year roof. The sheet copper can be bought in 16 or 20 oz copper. That's what it weighs per foot. This roof is about 400 sq ft and the scrap price yesterday was $1.65 a pound. Should be a tidy sum.

Earlobe- oh boy I bet he jumped, I'm sure you are still laughing!!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Copper roof? I've never even heard of such a thing! Man! Am I a hick. :D
Sounds like a fun day of shootin' buddy. Glad you got out.
Jay Bird

Post by Jay Bird »

12 g's for 400 sq. feet? Whoa!....that's a rich mans roof......around here we just staple the box that the TV came in then put some rocks on it to hold it down....usually get a season out of it........up in Maine where people have money all the rich people use those fancy blue tarps then paint shingles on it.

I was soooooo tired from being out in the cold all day that I passed out after I posted earlier.......just got up......gots to sort and clean brass....Buffalo match was cancelled due to cold and high winds.....
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Sixgun Sr wrote: Fri Feb 28, 2020 10:22 pm12 g's for 400 sq. feet? Whoa!....that's a rich mans roof......around here we just staple the box that the TV came in then put some rocks on it to hold it down....usually get a season out of it........up in Maine where people have money all the rich people use those fancy blue tarps then paint shingles on it.
I was soooooo tired from being out in the cold all day that I passed out after I posted earlier.......just got up......gots to sort and clean brass....Buffalo match was cancelled due to cold and high winds.....
:lol: :lol: :lol: Doesn't matter how big or small, copper is a rich man's roof! I just think they don't look right on a red brick house... That and I can't afford one is why I don't have one! :twisted:
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

AND... I'm over it!!
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

BTW Sixgun, can I have that CCH'd mdl 39?
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

AND... I'm over it!!
Jay Bird

Post by Jay Bird »

Griff wrote: Fri Feb 28, 2020 11:26 pm BTW Sixgun, can I have that CCH'd mdl 39?
Yea...you can have it...after the Nationals.......it's my best shooting .22 and with a 1 lb 12 oz trigger that is glass crisp your just going to have to wait. I do need an excuse to break into the unopened crate of pre war model 39's so after the nationals I'll give it to ya.

On the roof thingy some rich people around here who own revolutionary war period houses have cedar roofs.....I hear they are hundred year roofs too.....but dang, you ever see how fast dried cedar burns?---6
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Maybe when I come up there in Sept, I'll bring one of my Winch. 94s and swap ya...
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

AND... I'm over it!!
Jay Bird

Post by Jay Bird »

Naaa....don't want nothing in return.......in fact, I'll keep the pictured Marlin, you can have the unopened case. Ya might as well as I don't have much left after Jay was here. Besides, I'm getting old and my kids will probably just sell em cheap and go down to the islands on my dime.

Funny how when your young you think things will turn out different but in the end, people are just like vultures. I'm not joking....99% of people turn my stomach. If I would have known this is how the world really is I would have built a little cabin on a mountain side and been a hermit.---6
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Little cabin on a mountain?.......
Man, have I got a deal for you! :D
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

This is a flat roof, shingles won't work. When I say flat I mean very flat, the pitch is 1&1/2" over 13' length of rafter.
Once the copper starts to turn brown and then green it becomes invisible on a roof but when it's fresh shiny new red boy it's ugly. This roof is also a deck, until it turns colors these people are going to get sunburn from below!

Six ya need an Airstream trailer, as my neighbor buddy says - a tin castle on a hill.

I just realized I don't own a Marlin so I'll take 1 out of the unopened crate please.

Yep try 2 days of being out in that wind, ripping and tearing copper up, then laying plywood down and installing ice & water membrane. There was no escaping it. Everything hurts, even my sinuses!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!