The Gun Room

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Re: The Gun Room

Post by GunnyMack »

Yes I do have a thumb, on both hands- the left has some nerve damage and is numb all the time! Next time I cast I'm going to try setting the pot on the higher bench. My shop is set up with perimeter bench that is elbow height, the table saw bench, where I was casting is lower. I'll be able to stand that way.

Ya gotta tell your wife that if she helps you clean up the trees you'll be spending quality time together! You can sit and she can throw chain, chop roots, get you coffee!

Griff, I need accurate dimensions of your existing drawer, length,width and depth( inside the drawer). Sorry about the Rose! Nothing worse than morons operating equipment!

The mould is good, Cat, 210s are my choice for the 41, 190s are too light! Now I have to buy powder as nothing on hand for cast loads.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Man! This a fast paced thread!
Busy all day yesterday. Got the deer off to the butcher.

They have salted the roads so the season is over for the Rubicon. Cleaned it all up and got it put up for the winter.

I forgot to post this pic of Old Red the other day helping with the deer.

Sorry you been working so hard on the wood, Six. That's why I drive 55 miles to work. Guys around here for a living. Day in day out in some of the worst conditions imaginable. I ain't near that tough.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"Oh bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round.
harry
Senior Levergunner

Post by harry »

-11* here this morning, this is my plan for today
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Trump 2024

All responses have been cleared by the law firm of "Elmer and Fudd."
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Woo......crispy nose hair morning. :D
fordwannabe
Advanced Levergunner

Post by fordwannabe »

Was all set to hunting. Hunted Saturday, Monday, and part of Tuesday. Got sick and I mean sick. Left hunting camp Friday morning and made it home. Been laid up ever since. Last night I took a good pull from the NyQuil bottle covered up and shivered/sweated until about 5am. I feel much better today, not 100 % but not 20% either. Did not see a shooter buck. I use archery season as a slammer or nothing season because I prefer to shoot deer(especially with old leverguns). Will see how I feel tomorrow. Supposed to go see Grandson tonight but I am gonna bail on that just in case I am contagious. I still haven’t gotten my crossbows or clothes out of the truck since Friday. I am telling ya boys I was sick.
Jack nice scores at the auction. Wouldn’t mind seeing pics
NICE BUCK, Jay
Gunny, you are a craftsman both with wood and lead.
Griff, they figure out what the issue is with the Rose?
a Pennsylvanian who has been accused of clinging to my religion and my guns......Good assessment skills.
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

FW,
Thank you, buddy. Sorry to hear of your illness. Get well soon.

Griff,
Yes, I forgot to mention earlier, hope the Rose feels better soon also.
Jay Bird

Post by Jay Bird »

Hey guys...Master Jay is right....sure is a past paced thread...AND FUN TOO!......guys from all over the country......dang Harry...-11?????? WTF? That's too cold for me.

Jay....the garage looks like mine..open rafters...Jeeps....tools.....but much cleaner...mines a real mess at the moment. Same as my gunroom....must be 40K of guns laying all over, junk on em...on the floor,,,,on the bench....paperwork ...just ain't had time to clean em and find a place in the safes....nice idea with the buck....Jeep and a rope! I love it! Yep...a true redneck you are my man!

Where's Cat? Cat, I need you over here...I'll be dead before Griff gets here. Yea...everyone has troubles, sorry Griff....I'd rather pull an engine and rebuild it before dealing with red tape......it's because we don't know what we are doing with red tape...except the F lawyers.

Oh Guuuunnnnnyyyyy....are you out birdin' again? Seems like you and Jay are the only ones living a normal life, except that soft stuff squeezing Old Savage....concerts, drinks, swimming pools, soft stuff, nice family, golf course......

Tom...something going around....I cannot remember the last time I got sick...except for my dizziness.....no colds or flu for maybe 20 years..or more. I must have caught something at the auction with all the old guys hacking....stuffed up and a sore throat. Well, those logs and stumps are waiting and it looks like I'm the only one showing up. :D

I really don't mind working with my hands....I got the equipment, know how, and energy.....just wish the liberals would stop videoing me. I went after a guy in a Prius the other day with the Kubota...I did not mean no harm..just wanted the F to keep going where we was going. Didn't know a Prius could go so fast. The wife was laughing so hard when I came in the house....she said, "what happened out there by the road, that guy in that little car spun the wheels getting away from you." I told her I was ready to pick up that no cylinder matchbox and push it in the woods.

Well..until later guys.....let the fun begin!---6
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Griff, it is probably the steering wheel manipulator still grinding its teeth about some idiots in offices is causing a vibration in the cab.

OK, that may not be the only issue. Griff, sounds as if you could use some range time. I prescribe an hour or more with a .45 and some Cowboy loads at steel targets. That should get you back on an even keel so that you can deal with everything.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Piller, did that yesterday... didn't miss one all day... even shot faster'n my normal glacier pace... didn't finish last, or even next-to-last! Must've been all that tension built up.

Six, you didn't answer my question, do you still want some help next week? I know it's a tad late, but I've still got some energy left to burn, replacing the engine in my Camaro won't happen till next year.

BTW, what do I win for setting Gunny up to win pg 22? :P :P
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

I was out of the house about 20 to 8 this morning, had to go collect a check for a little job I did. Of course as soon as I got there my neighbor calls looking for help getting a deer out of the woods- yup it ran downhill! A young 9 point.
Then I ran to pick up some fittings, decided yesterday to re design my dust collector system.
Now I'm having a snack before I go start to put the shop together.

I have diagnosed The Rose! The left handed smoke shifter has lost its knibbily pin! They always cause grinding noise! :D

I have an idea for a new inlaid cutting board , gotta try to find a way to work it out... You guys are gonna love it if it works!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Jay Bird

Post by Jay Bird »

This just ain't any Kubota....this is the MIGHTY Kubota!......and don't you forget it!---6

GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Hey look- Six has decapitated Don King - oh wait that's a tree stump!!
I bet you had a fun time getting that in the trailer!? Musta been close to lift capacity?

Now I have to go look around the internet and try to find a picture for this new cutting board I'm thinking about.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Couldn't be Don King --- the mouth is not moving. Don King probably won't shut up until ten years after he is dead.
D. Brian Casady
Jay Bird

Post by Jay Bird »

Don King! THAT was good......yea....had a hell of a time getting it in there. What I did was push the stump to the back of the trailer then put the edge of the bucket on the back edge of the stump and flipped it in. The trailer then see sawed down and when I pushed the stump,in the trailer moved so I had to block the wheels. Somehow it got wedged and I ended up pushing the trailer over the blocks and I was back to square one.it needed to be balanced or I could not hook up the tongue to the ball. Anyway, after I did get it on and balanced I drove it out back to the swamp area, backed it in and then more aggravation.

The next one I'm just gonna drag it with the chain.

Here's the Winchester Low Wall....32-20 (my favorite small cartridge) 28" half rd/oct barrel...(rare) Marbles long eye relief tang sight....near perfect bore condition....vary late production (1918) That's good, especially for a shooter...

In this mess are the Ruger flatgate .22, Ruger Flattop .357 and the Merwin and Hulbert 44-40

1899 Savage CARBINE.....in 303...I've never owned a Savage carbine. This one is the Model H made in 1924

Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

That is a nice haul of guns. Need be you could likely do all you need with those.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

Jay Bird

Post by Jay Bird »

Once again, the giant antique gun funnel in the sky dropped its load to my house....maybe the tornado did it. :D ----6
Catshooter
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Catshooter »

Well Six, that's a helluva a stump. If you're gonna drag 'em have you got any kind of stone boat? You know, like and old car hood or a good sized piece of sheet metal? That might make life a bit easier for the Mighty Kubota. And Mighty it is too!

It's a pity you don't live here. I'm not suggesting y'all move or anything, you wouldn't like the cold (it's three degrees last I looked) but we got neighbors. All kinds of 'em. I noticed the neighbor to the north of me could hardly mow his lawn one day so I took over doing it. Pretty soon pie started appearing in my kitchen. darn good pie too! That sort of thing goes on all the time here.

We do have some liberals in town, about six or seven I think. They keep kinda of a low profile as they're so out-numbered. :) Lots of good people.

Sorry I can't show up an help ya, but I try to make it a policy to stay on this side of the Mississippi. There's too many crazys over to that side. I don't know how you can stand it.

Cat
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Six give it a rest today, drag the stumps when the ground freezes, less damage to your lawn. Or like Cat says get them onto something then drag them on the sled.

Post office run this morning- Cat I'll send tracking later.

That Low wall looks like it's in great shape!

Yeah Cat it sure is nice to help your neighbors, I help out my neighborhood with snow plowing, I get bottles, cookies/cakes/brownies and cash from most of them. I don't ask for anything, just doing my good deed for those who don't have.

Ok coffee time!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Nice iron Six!
I actually had a Savage H in .303 for a short while. Pretty handy little rig. I bought a 1907 model 1894 SRC in 32WS with a tang sight at the same time.....for 300 bucks. Of course, this was a long time ago.
Still got the 94. :D
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Hey Six I'd love to have that flat gate 357! :D

Well I just spent the past hour or so cleaning my spaghetti shooters! It amazes me how much stuff can accumulate in a smooth bore!

So looking through my 25 yr old Lyman loading book does anyone have a pet load for 41 mag with cast? - with newer powders? Only thing I have that will work is 4227.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Jay Bird

Post by Jay Bird »

Hey Cat...that's a grand idea and sure shows some common sense for the mighty Kubota.....an old car hood for dragging..or something similar.....my lawn is really tore up with lots of scars but nothing that will still be visible after the grass starts growing in the spring....just gotta look at it all winter. Out where the burn pile is there's no lawn at all in a 100' circle. Oh well, some people have it easier and some people have it harder...like the people down the road who have to live elsewhere because their houses are off the foundation. Was,told yesterday that the famous Glen Mills School (reform school) has lots of issues. About 10 years ago they built a fancy 18 hole golf course for uppity people on their land and there's 400 trees down on their fancy course.

How about this original Ruger Flattop 4 and 5/8's in .357, built in 1960 that's probably been shot 10 rounds but carried a little. Can't even find a burn mark on the cylinder face.....very very slight muzzle wear with a few light handling marks on the stocks. I tell ya...some guys get allllllll the luck.

This Ruger sure keeps good company!

Rare gun to be fancy inscribed.

OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Well, I had to snowblow the driveway this morning. :(
Now I can't even tell. ***!
Not much snow, but just annoying.

Hey Six, old pickup bedliners make good skids too. We use em up here for moose. Cut a hole in the headboard section and reinforce the headboard with 2 pieces of plywood sammiched over it and run the rope or cable through the hole to the load.

Love the sticker. If I send my coat down, will you put the flat top in the pocket and send it back? :D
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Six ... Yowser!

I have the 50th Anniversary 357 Flattop 4 5/8". Here is the modern mate to your fine piece.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

Jay Bird

Post by Jay Bird »

OldWin wrote: Tue Nov 12, 2019 3:11 pm If I send my coat down, will you put the flat top in the pocket and send it back? :D
I don't have to...you seem to do a pretty good job of that all by yourself......just a reminder....you will need to sew a large pocket in the buffalo coat and double stitch it..the Merwin & Hulbet is a heavy gun. :D

Fred...you can call us the "Flattop Brothers"! I can see the headlines in Hollywood.....'"'The Adventures of 6 & Fred Shootin' Up Sunset Blvd With Flattops".

First day since Nov 1st that I took off work.....11 straight days starting around 10 until an hour after dark..about 6.....no breaks........COLD today...right now it's 22. I have that 1873 in .22 short in a million pieces. Doug Turnbull made the outside of the gun like new but the innards were thrown together, untouched...pitted....bent pins...bent leaf spring....sloppy tolerances.....sewer pipe bore.....--6
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Wow! To bad about the 73 innards. Hope it is fixable.
My old man had me show my mom your pic if that Merwin and Hulbert! :D
I told her I thought it would look great on her. :D
I have been truly blessed, and remind myself every day.

Hope you get your "wood lot" cut off soon, buddy.
I guess it's winter here now. :(
Catshooter
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Catshooter »

That's too bad about the '73 Six. Hope it was cheap. Working on a fully finished gun is tough. What are you doing about the bore?

Cat
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Oh for the love of !
Have you seen the new sweater by PETA?

The sweater has the words WOOL HURTS and a half a sheep out the front half out the back ( 3 dimensions) that has bloody spots on it. Now they don't want wool the be sheared!

Shame about that 73 Six. Ya think it will shoot worth a hoot?

17 degrees this morning, shop stove going all night- about 60 in there. Not bad for only 1" of styrofoam insulation!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Turned 72.

Six, you like the old stuff and I mostly like the new stuff.

GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Old Savage wrote: Wed Nov 13, 2019 7:22 am Turned 72.
You or the thermometer? :D
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Both today ;-)

Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Couple new acquisitions, P22 Walther and EnZo Trapper in cobalt vanadium N690Co steel.

GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Well then Happy 72! I see you got yourself a couple presents too!!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Thanks. Fine items, both excellent quality.

Jay Bird

Post by Jay Bird »

HAPPY BIRTHDAY OLD SAVAGE......why, you old savage! 72! I can only wonder how much soft stuff those hands have grabbed over the 72 years. :D (yea, I'm a bit loose upstairs or like they like to say, "ten cents short of a dollar".)

I spent a good hour and a half fixing the extractor and spring on the bolt of that '73. Its completely different than a regular 1873 and you got to be careful...ain't no parts available for this...you would have to be a real deal gunsmith like Gunny to make the parts, not a parts exchanger, filer, epoxy man like me. Now I have to figure out how to redesign the lever return leaf spring....Turnbull used a regular one and it worked until the second manipulation of the lever.

The bore is well...devoid of rifling for the first 4" and spotty after that. Believe it was meant to be a show piece. But I am gonna shoot it, just to say I shot an original 1873 in .22.-----6

Well boys, play day today in the gunroom,.....30 degrees and windy....21 last night when I shut off the lights around 2. Did manage to roll outta bed by 11:30. Whew! Soon as I bent over to put my socks on I blew a fanny burp that Catshooter would have heard if he was outside....and Jay would have smelled. :D
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Sounds like a reclining candidate to me. But the spring could cause problems...

Was 16 here this morning, I've been in & out of the shop all day. Started the new cutting board pattern, FAIL ! Have to sweet talk a buddy of mine out of his unused scroll saw. Think I'm going to take the rest of the day off! After I finish this Sopressata! :D
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Hey guys.

Happy Birthday Old Savage! My son had one of those Walthers. It shot really well. LOVE the knife, however.

Bummer about the spring, Six. I know it would kill value, but like Gunny, I would re-line that sucker so it would shoot. I can't imagine putting all that resto work in it and leaving it unshootable. Strange.
Thirty degrees! It was 9 here this morning. Plus the wind was blowing so it felt like -10.
Guess I shouldn't have rode my Harley to work. :D
Catshooter
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Catshooter »

Six,

That was you farting? Woke me up, wondered what it was. Don't worry, I rolled over and went back to sleep.

I'd re-line the barrel too, if you can fix the action that is.

Cat
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Neighbor called me, another hood ornament ready for a base. So a couple cuts, drill a couple holes some sanding and a pass with the router and-
20191113_180609-800x600.jpg
I have no idea what it is from!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Good work, Gunny. I should know what that is off of but I can't remember.
Jay Bird

Post by Jay Bird »

Cat....thanks for recognizing the fanny burp....blew a hole 4" wide in the mattress. The thrust pushed me into the dresser and singed the hair on my butt. Wife came into the room and wanted to know what blew up and when she twitched her nose, she said, "The wind must be coming from the east as it smells like the refineries in Philly are having troubles...Geeze, they are twenty miles away."

Went down the gunshop and played in the back checking out the new load of stuff that came in. Looks like I'm buying a top of the line Volquartsen .22 Target rifle....this guy had about 15 of them and they all look new.

Came home, felt good mentally so I and went down in the gunroom and started working on the 1873. Dang, sometimes everything comes together just right and I got that baby working nice. Shot a few rounds into the workbench using some Eley pistol match ammo from the sixties.......this gun looks nice on the outside but I'm guessing it was junk when it was restored. The back of the case showed a bulge and the firing pin indentation was really deep and pierced. J-u-n-k.....there's either major excessive headspace or the chamber is bulged/buggered/whatever.

Gunny..I'm still looking for the airplane from the 55 Chevy.....your post reminded me of it and I couldn't find it tonight. Yea...cold here too...24 at the moment at midnight.---6

Old Savage....your Walther sure don't look old school like the Walthers I know.....the gun you have is hot and the guys at the gunshop said they are selling great.

Catshooter
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Catshooter »

Six,

I bet if you look closely at that .22 chamber somebody has Dremeled it. "Make it feed better." is my guess.

Liner, that's all I got to say.

Cat
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Hmm those bulges look to me like Cat may be right. Bet somebody got a little rambunctious trying to polish it. Notice the small scratches towards the mouth of the case- bet the extraction was sticky.
This is NOT your rifle correct? For the amount of time,money that has already been sunk into the restoration a couple hundred more for a relining job would be worth it. It the rifle was the same inside and out maybe I would give it a pass but all the work done to it should well be taken into consideration. Ok I'm rambling- no coffee yet!

I'll try to get a pic of the airplane today!

Just signed up for EMBARK VET- this is the DNA testing company that does dog DNA health tests. They look at something like 177 different genes/ diseases/ traits. They can also give results on exactly what a mixed breed is. I was surprised how well Parker tolerated having a swap stuck down into her jowels for a minute! Stick the swabs into a vial of purple liquid and mail it off to wait results.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Six, that Walther is a good shooter. They redesigned the spring to get rid of the problems the older one had.

The knife by EnZo reminds me of the Loveless drop point but a lot lighter.

piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

That knife looks to be a very useful design. What is the steel in it?

I have one of the Walther & Wesson model 99 collaboration guns. It hsa a nice trigger with a reset that took some time to learn to master. The reset is so short that sloppy trigger control will empty the gun almost as if it were an automatic. I still sometimes put 2 shots in about 4 inches of each other by accidentally letting recoil move my finger off the trigger then firing again by trying to correct it. The runaway gun issue was the real reason that model was not very popular. I used it the last time I had to shoot for score with my License To Carry. I am right handed and neither eye dominant. Shooting it Left Handed, my score was 247 out of a possible 250. My Left trigger finger does not let the trigger move back to reset as fast as my right and the recoil induced double tap is eliminated. That Walther barrel and upper on a Smith & Wesson lower is amazingly accurate. Mine is the 40 cal version. I hope that .22 is a fun and durable gun.
D. Brian Casady
Jay Bird

Post by Jay Bird »

Fred.....I like the Walther but can't comment on the knife......it's hard to comment on a subject when your ignorant on it....only thing I know about knives is Leatherman, Case, Benchmade, Buck...and that I have to sharpen them from time to time. Stainless will not hold an edge compared to carbon steel.....THATS It....I sure can't write a book on knives.

I notice the Walther has a rail for a small light....that makes sense.

Worst thing you could do to a rare rifle is to reline it. Bore condition means nothing to a collector. Most collectors don't shoot their guns, .....they show them off......the guy who buys this rifle will just hang it on the wall...after he pays 4-5 big ones. Reminds me, got to get it back to the gunshop today or so.....I can legally take antique (pre 1898) guns out of the shop for repair....would need an FFL to do otherwise......ran out of Black Rifle Coffee.....back to store bought garbage...you know, that BRC is expensive

Well.....think I'll take another day off and work out in the Shootin' Shack. The Lord works in mysterious ways...a HUGE willow tree fell over at the edge of the woods and the base is exactly 75 meters from the bench.....perfect for pistol caliber rifle silhouette testing.
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

If it were all original I wouldn't redline it but since it has already been molested I'd line it and shoot the pizz out of it.
Yes I know it was molested by the best in the biz but to me it's already lost its value. I know it's not yours . Just my 2 cents

You forget Kershaw, some very good blades. You can keep benchmade, won't spend my money on anything they make! Just got a Cold Steel Game & Fish knife, skeletonized handle with kydex sheath, zip tied it to me bird vest.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

This is the current of what I use at the office. The yellow was $1.99 with another order. At home I use kitchen knives daily. Keep them sharp with a steel.

The others are mainly a collection. The third Glock knife is on the way from Poland. Mora Garbergs in stainless and carbon. Unlikely I will do any bushcrafting and not goibg to be dressing out any deer here at the office.

Jay Bird

Post by Jay Bird »

Sure, i agree Gunny.....if it was mine I would reline it...no doubt.

Hey! Was looking for a door latch in the garage ...remember last winter I cleaned out the garage real well?....it's still organized but I forgot where the things I remembered I had as to where I put them...so it's off to Home Depot for a door latch...

All was not lost....I found the airplane off of a '55 Chevy.---6

GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Nope that's a lot different than the one I made the base for. If I remember this one was off a Studebaker/ Hudson...?

Oh and I'd chamber it to .22 LR just because LR is much more available and better selection.

I'm glad it's Thursday, chiropractor day! Just started a loaf of rye - I'm wore out!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Mora Garberg stainless. Birthday gift from my daughter.