The Gun Room

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Re: The Gun Room

Post by GunnyMack »

Boy what a morning! Had 2 other guys show up. Had 24 birds to put out- there was a lot of shooting! Just finished cleaning 9 birds. Then helped another guy sight in a 10/22 with a Nikon 3-9 BDC rim fire scope. In the scope manual the BDC is set up for rim fire Ammo of 1600 fps- the hold over isn't even close for Rem thunderbolt, pop, poof, bang, pop don't make for accuracy!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Umm, if you look this is 2 in a row, what I would like for THE PRIZE is a matched pair of Colts, caliber doesn't matter but it would be nice if they were factory engraved, oh and ivory stocks please! :D
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Sure Gunny!
I'd send em right out..........if I had em!
Well.......if In had em.......I'd probably just laugh and rub it in your face. :D
Sorry bud. Just bein honest. :D
"Oh bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round.
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Huh, I figured you had a pair that somehow made their way into the deep dark recesses of a buffalo! :lol:
Besides its your birthday so I'd tell ya to keep one of them!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Hahaha! I KNEW that coat would come up!
Fair enough.
Jay Bird

Post by Jay Bird »

Gunny is the winner of page 29 and I (me) set it up for him as I was the last poster. You lucky dog! OK, lets see what I can award you.....beings that you guys are discussing the legendary buffalo coat, I will award you what's in the pocket of the secret lining of the coat....Jay don't know I know about this.....it's under the right arm pit and Jay does not feel it because he has 62 pounds of arm pit hair immersed in Afro Sheen in there. Whew! Bet that smells nice!

Anyway, let Jay tell you what's in the secret pocket now that he knows about it.

So.....I organized today..the entire day organizing JACKETED BULLETS.....I don't keep many of these around and have several boxes that need to be consolidated. Sometimes I'll come home with baggies or beat up boxes with mixed up bullets in them. I probably have 100 cast bullets for every jacketed bullet. There is a few boxes of factory swaged bullets that I keep with the jacketed for specialized purposes. Here are two pics but I have more to do.----6............o

Jay Bird

Post by Jay Bird »

l. l. o. g
Last edited by Jay Bird on Sun Dec 08, 2019 8:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Hey now double postings dont count !
That reminds me!! Guy at the club gave me 100 lbs of Lawrence magnum 7&1/2's today- more than $100 worth of shot! I'll take it any time. Says he has a press and powder too he is going to give me. Also a whole bunch of 12 ga ammo at 5 bucks a box !
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Jay Bird

Post by Jay Bird »

Yea....just saw the double post...got rid of it.

Anyway.....MAGNUM shot makes the VERY best bullets when casting. Add 2% tin and you will have a bullet good enough for squirrels to bear. Will shoot clear though a 52" log if the sectional density is right on the bullet and the wood is a bit mushy.

Shot is up to $25 a bag? Buck a pound? Even regular shot makes good bullets and back in the day when shot was bringing $7-$10 a bag I use daily a lot of it. But....you got to be careful where you melt shot...have lots of ventilation....it contains arsenic.

If I didn't have so much lead, tin, and Linotype I would use magnum shot exclusively for making bullets.

Funny thing...I remember YEARS would go by without me shooting a jacketed bullet. I have been getting bored with lever action silhouette as it gets harder to see the sights and my scores have gone progressively down in the last ten year.......had a few good scores last year but they were more luck than anything. The new disciplines I've taken up require jacketed bullets and of course, Nightforce scopes! Oh boy, when I told the other gunny about the Nightforce, the first thing he asked me, "can I have it?" I immediately told him to go f himself. :D he really laughed at that as I believe I'm the only guy in the world who can get away with that kind of talk to a lifer marine.

Well, gotta go and blow a few fanny burbs. See you boys in the late am or early afternoon. :D ---6.......o
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Nice bullet organization, Six!

I just checked that pocket....... why, it's my armpit hair comb! I wondered where it was.
Well, now it's Gunny's. Congratulations buddy! :D
Jay Bird

Post by Jay Bird »

OldWin wrote: Sun Dec 08, 2019 9:26 pm
I just checked that pocket....... why, it's my armpit hair comb! I wondered where it was.
Yo dude...enjoy your birthday? I'm sure you did.......

Naaa, your wrong, that was not your armpit hair comb...THAT was the pliers you use to pull teeth and in the secret pocket that you thought were gold nuggets were really old teeth that you found on the side of the road. Your a lucky man to have so much sling shot ammunition! ----ole 6
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Sixgun Sr wrote: Sun Dec 08, 2019 10:49 pm
OldWin wrote: Sun Dec 08, 2019 9:26 pm
Yo dude...enjoy your birthday? I'm sure you did.......

Naaa, your wrong, that was not your armpit hair comb...THAT was the pliers you use to pull teeth and in the secret pocket that you thought were gold nuggets were really old teeth that you found on the side of the road. Your a lucky man to have so much sling shot ammunition! ----ole 6
Haha man! You MUST be tired. :D
Where.....and how, did you come up with that one? :D
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

No not that pocket- the other one!

Last I bought shot, West Coast magnum was $30 a bag! Yes another hope & change result of the last administration- from how I understand it the chief muslim shut down the lead smelting in this country.

This 100 pounds will not see the lead pot, every ounce of it will go down the bores of my Perazzi's!

Oh I am NOT looking forward to going to sit in a tree this morning! I really don't want to go deer hunting this morning... Opening day, raining and not my idea of fun. I'd take my Benelli with buckshot but can't use buckshot for bears, opens today too, only slugs. Don't really want to get my savage 220 wet!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Jay Bird

Post by Jay Bird »

Yea Gunny....raining here too.....miserable conditions .........it's days like this I get into trouble....you know what momma said, "idle time is the devils workshop".

Mmmmmmmm........what you boys want to do????......we can be partners in crime during this idle time.........Jay, you interested in going to the "five finger discount store?"........

Old Savage don't have to deal with nasty days like this.....you know, it never rains in Southern California...do..dah...do..........

----6.........o
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

The water year begins Oct 1. So far Calif has had 9.5" mostly in northern Calif. It is bright and sunny here today going up to 57. No the desert here averages about 7" per year. Did not rain for 5 yr one time but 30" another year.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Well I got to my stand about 7:15- yup I was late getting there! I sat until 11:30 ish. Didnt see a single brown critter! Decided to take a mosey and see if I could find some deer. I did, right where I expected them! In the thickest part of the farm. Got to about 20 yards from a doe/ fawn. Meh.
Few years back I bought this clothing clad HECS. It is supposed to block your electric field- I swear it works as advertised!
Got home and rigged up my clothes for drying by the stove. Then I had a light bulb moment!
20191209_130255-600x800.jpg
My new patent pending gun dryer!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Jay Bird

Post by Jay Bird »

Old Savage wrote: Mon Dec 09, 2019 12:34 pm The water year begins Oct 1. So far Calif has had 9.5" mostly in northern Calif. It is bright and sunny here today going up to 57. No the desert here averages about 7" per year. Did not rain for 5 yr one time but 30" another year.
Oh yea! Well, I have the proof right here!!!! :D 6.........o

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Gmq4WIjQxp0
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Well show up at the job this morning, homeowner want access into garage from second floor staircase which is cut off as an apartment.Why? So they can get the garage doors open when the power is out, garage isn't hooked up to the whole house generator. Ok fine but this is going to be
1- very small
2- it's going to stand out as an afterthought
3- no matter what we do its going to be' ugly' .
So I suggested that when you KNOW there is a chance of the power going out and before it does go out just pull the red rip cord to unlatch the door opener! 'You can do that?'
Ugh- these people vote, breed and raise offspring...
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Jay Bird

Post by Jay Bird »

Gunny...common sense is no more.....my own very highly educated daughter cannot get from point A to B without her phone telling her where to turn. Sheeeeeeeeeeeeeetttt, I can find my way with no lights on.

That's a fancy looking arrangement you have for drying out your gun.....that's pretty much how I warm my butt in the morning....first thing outta bed....right to the wood stove, restoke it and back up to it...butt first. One time I smelled something and caught my butt on fire.

Well, your back to being a working stiff......hey! Its a good thing for stupid people...it gives you shooting money!---6.....o
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

So true! Shooting money, replenish my gun fund but most importantly DOG FOOD! Gotta keep the girls fed.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

GunnyMack wrote: Tue Dec 10, 2019 9:48 am Well show up at the job this morning, homeowner want access into garage from second floor staircase which is cut off as an apartment.Why? So they can get the garage doors open when the power is out, garage isn't hooked up to the whole house generator. Ok fine but this is going to be
1- very small
2- it's going to stand out as an afterthought
3- no matter what we do its going to be' ugly' .
So I suggested that when you KNOW there is a chance of the power going out and before it does go out just pull the red rip cord to unlatch the door opener! 'You can do that?'
Ugh- these people vote, breed and raise offspring...
Or rig up a pulley and cable to release the opener from the trolley from farther away than the one provided; run it to that house wall and enclose it in a wall box; an ordinary outlet box and some conduit to confine the cable would do it.

....but sounds like these homeowners would rather spend more money on a not-really-better option so I guess you have some money to earn 'fixing' things for them.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Hey fellers.
So.....I'm coming home from work Monday. It's snowing and crappy. Got the usually non-drivers limping down the interstate all bunched up like yarded deer.
So I am in the left lane rolling by. All is good until I pull along side this Ford one ton with a Reading body. The moron pulls over the line cause he is probably too afraid to get out of the two strips of bare tar.
I got nowhere to go, and knew it would be close......
Smack! We clipped mirrors when I went by. WTF dude!
Didn't break the glass but popped it out. Put a 3" hole in the plastic. I popped the glass back in but will have to replace the mirror come warm weather.
Jay Bird

Post by Jay Bird »

Sorry to hear that Jay.......I can't figure it out either.....the road is full of people who have the common sense of a frog. ....Another added expense for you just to get back to normal. I'm on the phone with my son today and he is driving down 70 outside of Denver......Ok, we are bs en and all of a sudden he exclaims "holy poop, you dumb stupid azz f face" . He tells me he is cruising 70 mph in the hammer lane and some woman comes off of an off ramp and glides over two lanes to the hammer lane...and stays at 45 mph. He almost rammed her butt.

On a different note, I was at the post office in our 1/2 horse town and start to pull out.......a horn starts blaring and the guy stayed on it for 30 seconds.........what happened was when I looked out to see if anyone was coming the guy was in that small blind spot behind my passenger side door and the beginning of the soft top.....my fault 100%.....but the way the old fat pig with a shirt and tie on layed on the horn for 30 seconds pizzed me off.......it's getting worse out there, people are spazzed out all trying to multi task 16 million things in one day.

I was thinking to myself at the time, "big deal, nothing happened, your only 200 yards from home and even if this fat guy got out of his car I could outdistance him just by putting the transmission in neutral and glide down the 2 degree slope to my driveway. :D ----6
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Yeah, I hear ya bud. Whew! Glad that sweet Rubi didn't get hit!
I did notice that after they changed the TJ seats in 03, it's harder to see out the rear side windows. The headrest is bigger than on the 97-02's.
They are also an inch lower than the earlier seats, which is better.
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

I had a Jack wagon on my side of the road, hit my drivers side mirror that it exploded the glass, folded it in hard enough it broke my vent visor and hit the window breaking the plastic outside of the housing. I stopped he kept going. Called the police, filled out a report- never to be seen again! I wanted his address so I could scatter a 5 lbs box of roof nails in his driveway!

So I finally pulled the generator out, hook it up, start it and dont ya know the power comes on !!

Hey Doc, no way these people are digging up the yard, all manicured lawn, fancy flower beds.
1-3" of snow forecasted over night, might have to get in the woods in the morning!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
fordwannabe
Advanced Levergunner

Post by fordwannabe »

Finally! Been hunting semi hard for a week and a half.
Used the 336 in 35-30/30 I got from Mainehunter a couple years ago. 220 grain Speer FP with a compressed load of 3031.
16E769E3-8C92-423F-9EDE-B52FEE09B637.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
a Pennsylvanian who has been accused of clinging to my religion and my guns......Good assessment skills.
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Hey! Congratulations FW. Nice looking buck!
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Hey I know that guy! But last I saw him he wasnt laying down!! :lol:
Good deal Tom! It's nice when you hunt hard and it pays off, I can remember many years of not shooting a buck.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
fordwannabe
Advanced Levergunner

Post by fordwannabe »

Still got a flathead tag and a SRC 1886 from 1892 in 45-70 to keep me busy through Saturday.
a Pennsylvanian who has been accused of clinging to my religion and my guns......Good assessment skills.
Jay Bird

Post by Jay Bird »

Tom.....nice buck and well done! Looks like a Pennsylvania deer. We have some real hunters here in the Gun Room....Deer and pheasants are on the menus.....but I ain't shot nuttin except a mess of steel animals which are a little hard on your teeth.

What's the story? How far? Where did you bust him at?

I like the picture...you look like you just did a line of meth.---6 :D
fordwannabe
Advanced Levergunner

Post by fordwannabe »

He came in with three doe and was chasing them around. E went behind a tree for a little while and when he came out from behind it he was 65-70 yards away and quartering away from me. Blam! He turned and ran 25-30 yards before flopping over. Shot entered the ribs and exited out of the neck on far side. He was leaking like the Exxon Valdez. Internal organs showed significant trauma. Best part...he ran towards the truck. We drove right up to him. A little knife work and into the back of the truck.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

darn!!!! Tom, I know it's been quite a few years since we met... but you've totally remade yourself! Well done! I congratulate you.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

I always tell new/novice hunters to shoot the deer when headed in the 'right' direction- sadly the deer never get that memo ! :D hope you get to fulfill you 45/70 head shot on a doe!

Well we got some heavy wet snow overnight, after 2 days of rain!! Wish it was 2 days of snow! Hope the boss man says Go Hunting!? Waiting for a text from him...
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Jay Bird

Post by Jay Bird »

Same here Gunny......near two inches of rain and a decent coating this morning. Looks like another dead day.....not much going on. Think I'll load up a mess of 80 gr. 'er's for the .223.--6
fordwannabe
Advanced Levergunner

Post by fordwannabe »

Yeah Griff, I reinvented myself as an old man. 😂
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Well I saw 14 deer this morning. A tinsey tiny itty bitty spike was the only buck. Between my snow camo and the HECS suit , no wind and sneaking I was able to walk up to a group of 4, one walked right up to 10 yards from me without panicking. I sure love it when the snow is on the ground!
Here is a view from my stand,
20191211_093926-600x800.jpg

The visibility is terrible , everything is hanging low and the 6 I saw from the stand this morning were in my lap before I knew it.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Good job Gunny.
I know I'm in the minority, but I HATE snow during deer season.
First, it is usually wet and sticks all over the trees. It cuts down visibility and drops all over you.
It makes the deer change habits mid season.
It inevitably turns cold, making a crust and making it stupid noisy.

My "Biggest Bucks in Maine" patch came today.
Jay Bird

Post by Jay Bird »

Well...well....the picture Gunny posted was exactly how it was upstate on Monday last week......everything is coated with a couple of inches on the ground.....PERFECTO in my book. It's quiet walking, easy to spot deer and it just puts you in the mood to hunt. It was like that this morning here at home but its pretty much melted now except in the shady areas.

Well........a little drama at the gunshop last night.....I'll tell ya later......me and mom are headed for Costco.------6.......o
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Trust me, I'd much prefer a nice powder snow over this we have, its wet and packs with each stop- very noisy!
About 10 years ago we had a big storm dump about 2 feet, deer didnt move at all. We got on our quads and broke trails all over,that got them on their feet and moving around. Next thing we know they are in the trails following us thinking we were feeding them. Funny how tame they can become when heavy snow is on the ground.

So are you going to change your handle to 2XBB ?
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

GunnyMack wrote: Wed Dec 11, 2019 2:48 pm

So are you going to change your handle to 2XBB ?

Ahhh......nope! :D
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Woke up a bit early, outside with the girls. Snow on the ground clear skies and full moon darn bright! They all wear a different lighted collar so I can tell who is who , Winnie in blue, Claro in orange and Parker in red. You can always tell Parker as she moves the fastest unless she is eating deer 'milk duds'! Guess I need put the shock collar on her an reinforce NO ! And LEAVE IT !

No hunting today, boss man sent text last night, working outside- where did I put my carharts?! Aw shucks- I didn't clean off my truck after the snow! That's the only downside of having a diesel- don't warm up fast unless you are doing high speeds, I have to go 4 miles today!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Jay Bird

Post by Jay Bird »

Well Gunny...don't let the door hit you in the azz...get going!!! I get my check in 3 days and I want a full deposit when I go to withdrawal for fun things.

Ahhh....yea, sunshine for a change.......lots of rain in the forecast.....I hope it ain't another 2018-2019 episode.

Getting high class around here...I put in electric out in the shootin shack.....ran a $7.99 extension cord from the barn....-----6....o
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Shooting shack is high falutin' enough.......but power too?
Man! You boys is gonna give me a complex. :D
Sun is out here too. I should head for the lot with a saw tomorrow and do some work.
Jay Bird

Post by Jay Bird »

Shhhheeeeeeeeeeeeetttt bro......check yo PM. I gots to know.....-jo homey
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Sent back bud. You ain't gonna wanna deal with this ole hick ever again haha :D
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Dagnabit... I'm 50 miles from home, and Target sez they're going to be 4 or 5 hours to unload my trailer... that which the shipper only took 30 minutes to load. My BOL sez I delivered 24 PALLETS of stuff to 'em... but no... they have to count each and every box to make sure they got what the F>>K they ordered! I wanna get home, the local gun pusher has a SA for me to pick up! These clowns think nothing of how their laziness affects the lives of those they depend on for their JOBS! Even went so far as to tell me that I couldn't leave their premises until they'd emptied my trailer! Asked them just how to spell their name, and their DOB to put on the report I'd file with the local Sheriff's Office for false imprisonment... Funny how they all of a sudden changed to hoping I enjoyed a wonderful breakfast!

I did. Now to wait out the next 2-½ hours while those Target morons count cartons...
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Sorry Griff. You got a tough job buddy. Lots of things outside your control messing with you.
Now, if you had that six shooter stuffed in your waistband when you expressed your displeasure, it may make a difference.
Hope they get the lead out and you get home soon buddy!
Post pics of the new shooter! :D
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

He he he, rich folks ordered a new front door. Today we took the old one out, put a nice big 3 foot by 7 foot hole in their heating bill for a while today!

So who can tell me what these are?
20191212_161120-600x800.jpg
C'mon Griff we are waiting to see your new hogleg!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
fordwannabe
Advanced Levergunner

Post by fordwannabe »

1886 circa 1892 in 45-70 405 grain bullet. She only went 25 yards with a blood trail Ray Charles could follow.
183D383B-3C75-488B-9502-CC0A1DA6E31D.jpeg
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Nice job FW! Can't beat that.....especially the 86 carbine! :D